Clothing for The Great Outdoors

nice finds

u didnt bid on them?

That's one Joint right there, not two.

I put it on my watch list, but often I do that just so I can see what they go for. I believe that was sized around an XL, which given Bean's standards, I'd probably be swimming in.

When looking at outdoor gear, how many of you consider the performance/technical aspects of a jacket?

Do you find attachement to products that are obviously less advanced and may not get the job done as well as contemporary offerings? Of course many of these jackets we fiend over will rarely be put to use on the mountain and only be seen on the streets.

I do.

The thing is, many of the products that you referr to as "less advanced" probably will get the job done. Unless by "the job" you mean arctic peak-bagging in the dead of winter. I feel like the usefullness of modern technical garments has to do mostly with weight to warmth/dryness ratios, and thus is best suited for sporting pursuits in the great outdoors. You'd be just as good trudging around the woods of the northeast on dayhikes and even overnights with gear made of wool and waxed cotton, it's just a question of how much you're willing to carry.

Generally, I consider the function AND looks of a garment I'm thinking about purchasing, because chances are, it will get wear on the streets, and in the woods.

Subscribed.

This year I decided to purchase a pair of boots that would keep my feet warm in the fucking winter for a change, and that meant windproof, waterproof ones. After looking around, I went with these from L.L.Bean:

230122_2764_41?wid=330&hei=295

I definitely do not regret it; they've been getting some use this winter in Chicago already, and my feet are nice and dry and warm. Couldn't be happier.

yeah, I've been thinking about picking up a pair of those duck boots for awhile now

i really like wearing these workwear/outdoor clothes, especially during winter/fall when i'm in the mountains a lot and functional gear is a must

the most recent "mountain wear" pickup for me was this Merrell Sprint jacket that was on sale. I needed a waterproof outer shell for biking, and this jacket works pretty well. it's not rugged or "vintage" like other pieces here, but i really liked the basic design and functionality (waterproof, fully taped seams, pit vents, contoured hood). i think it was almost 70% off when i purchased it

GR.jpg

that vintage LLbean Anorak is sick...

i'd like to pick up some heavy duty carhartt double-knee pants and some flannels in the coming months...

p.s. subscribed

actually, this is probably my latest mountainy/outdoorsy purchase

jcrew had some flannel-lined camp pants on sale that I couldn't pass up

99118_BK5214_m.tif

99118_BK5214_b.tif

I am 90% sure my girlfriend bought these for me for Christmas. How do they fit?

-Jake

I am 90% sure my girlfriend bought these for me for Christmas. How do they fit?

-Jake

FWIW, I'm a bit on the shorter side, about 5' 5"- 5' 6" and their flannel lined pants always fit good in the waist, but big in the legs.

Update: I'm not sure if she got them for me now. She picked out a gift for me to open and it was their vintage Chambray shirt instead. I'm no less happy about it...

Chambray.jpg

Update: I'm not sure if she got them for me now. She picked out a gift for me to open and it was their vintage Chambray shirt instead. I'm no less happy about it...

Chambray.jpg

Thats a great shirt dude, I have their vintage workshirt and the detailing is surprisingly great. Great stuff.

It appears there is a new addition to the ...Research Line in Hunting Jacket Research

20081219-HJR_logo.jpg

It looks pretty sick as to be expected

20081219-1157.jpg

081213-foxjkt-1.jpg

I also came across this video of inspiration for the line basically just a load of amazing vintage hunting gear

qYIDKODaI_4

seriously

fuck japan

pretty sure garbstores going to be carrying hunting jacket research as ian was telling me about it on my last few visits, gonna op in and pick up some pants this week i think peasant chino and goverment lux are both fantastic,

missed a lovely orange goretex brown label north face last night fell asleep went for $14

Gnar, RBW - y'all gotta hook some pics up. i feel like you're running on straight flames.

I got a good bit of gear, but sadly, many of the things I truly lust after (with the exception of Russell Mocs), I've yet to obtain. Good bit of Filson and Patagonia, woolrich, amazing new deadstock pendleton from the brooklyn flea, a ton of backpacks of various make and model, etc...

That said. most of the gear I have in the outdoor department has been purchased for camping/backpacking, and thus is of the ultra modern/ultra-light persuasion.

Need more classics, and that's what this thread is really about.

I should post my filson pieces though, all three are gorgeous in their own right.

and I should post these size 27 woolrich knickers too, then sell 'em. They'd be great fore the stick-thin motherfuvker who can fit em.

pretty sure garbstores going to be carrying hunting jacket research as ian was telling me about it on my last few visits, gonna op in and pick up some pants this week i think peasant chino and goverment lux are both fantastic,

missed a lovely orange goretex brown label north face last night fell asleep went for $14

From what I've seen of the Hunting Research thus far, I'm not drooling, but it does look solid. Do let us know what's what when you see it in person though.

As for the Brown Label...I've slipped on many a brown label joint in the past couple of years, the most recent being a charcol wool bomber that I posted in the thread's beggining. Went for 36 bones, I believe.