Clothing for The Great Outdoors

^^ I´ve been looking at those back packs, and its nice to hear that you enjoy it.. I think I might get a 20l myself. How much stuff can you cram in it?

big enough that you could carry out a spartan camping trip with an ultralite tent and for a day trip say carrying flask, books, maps, extra clothes, food etc..you'd have room to spare.

and 20L is more than enough for carting your daily needs round town

If that's not enough there is always the 30L of course;)

A few to consider,

Mountain Research, I've a cagoule and woolen shirt from FW07. Neither overpriced nor overhyped, I've not had a chance to have a look at the 08 product but it looks fantastic:

jkt-exp.jpg

bag-only.jpg

Nigel Cabourn, not really an outdoor brand but this seasons stuff consists of remakes of 1950's product used by Hilary and Tenzing used during the first successful asent of Everest.

3595-300.jpg

DSCF6892.JPG

My new favorite thread.

It's been mentioned in the mountaineering boots thread, but the Archival Clothing Blog, should probably be watched by anyone who digs this thread.

Good find on the blog. ACL actually does a really good job of covering workwear as well.

Speaking of people talking/writing about workwear, there have been some particularly great articles written on the resurgence of interest for classic workwear.

LA Times

American work wear has always been an inspiration for designers, most recently Ralph Lauren and Marc Jacobs. Young labels such as Adam Kimmel, Patrik Ervell, Rogues Gallery and Band of Outsiders incorporated traditional American checks and plaids, field coats and parkas into their menswear collections.

But the passion for Americana has moved beyond pure inspiration; now it's about owning the real thing. And although the trend is more prevalent on the men's side, it's starting to catch on with women, who are wearing Bass Weejuns, oversized Pendleton shirts and leggings, and Red Wing boots with skinny jeans.

NYobserver

This fall, as downsized Wall Street employees shed their suits in droves, men’s fashion is fortuitously embracing the blue-collar lifestyle—a rugged, idealized version, at least. In addition to Gilded Age, labels like Engineered Garments, Operations and Rag & Bone are taking their cues from the clothing of the working-class man: selvage denim, distressed fabrics, canvas, chambray and lots of utility pockets.

Its nice to see a generation (me included) become introduced to such classic pieces of clothing that just make sense in both functionality and fashion.

However, I guess I feel like raising this question:

Does it bother you at all that this resurgence may be a trite trend that every hipster catches up on, or do the time-tested pieces rise above that?

I'm not worried about the popularity of actual workwear, but I find some of the "workwear-inspired" fashion items to be pretty gross, but there's always going to be designers with bad taste who make their living off of hype, then burn up entering the atmosphere.

Filson, Carhartt, Red Wing and others have been around for over 100 years. They'll be around still, after the hype is gone and designers have moved on to whatever comes next. Better that hipster cash goes into blue-collar pockets, if only for a little while.

Style can be faked by fashion designers, a 100+yr track record of real-world quality can't be faked.

I'm not worried about the popularity of actual workwear, but I find some of the "workwear-inspired" fashion items to be pretty gross, but there's always going to be designers with bad taste who make their living off of hype, then burn up entering the atmosphere.

Filson, Carhartt, Red Wing and others have been around for over 100 years. They'll be around still, after the hype is gone and designers have moved on to whatever comes next. Better that hipster cash goes into blue-collar pockets, if only for a little while.

Style can be faked by fashion designers, a 100+yr track record of real-world quality can't be faked.

Thats a good answer. Seems as if the more "hype" designers go under constant transformations, but Filson, Duluth, Red Wing, Bourbon, etc., have and will stand the test of time.

So, I walked past a store today in my city and was suprised to see them selling engineered garments, I think its a new store, some belgium label who are also going for this american workwear vibe. they are called bellerose.

It was nice to see some of the EG jackets up close. I have EG cargo pants and jeans, but the jackets and other pieces I have only seen online until now. They also carried V::room, I must say I was surprised with the softness and feel of their sweatshirts, for people looking for quality well made sweatshirts this brand is great. They had some nice henleys as well.

Amsterdam also recently acuired a new denim store, called tenue de nimes. Untill now they don't seem very impressive, they carry some typical scandinavian stuff. But I'm not impressed by the image and feel they are going for. One nice thing is they sell Momotaro.

But anyway, to come to the point sorta:p. This means that somehow the whole workwear thing is starting to catch on here as well. Not something I expected. I can not imagine many amsterdam fashion types being into labels like EG. I know there are tons of clones wearing red wings and flannels, which have kept me from wearing (plaid) flannel lately, I don't want to have to feel bad about wearing chambray and work boots too, you know?

All in all, I don't think I like the focus on american workwear for the European market done this way. They still don't know enough about the heritage brands like Filson and just concentrate on the easy stuff. Why not show some real dedication to your own heritage and roots? I would love to have a really good vintage inspired store in Amsterdam with a genuine interest in European work and country wear, as well as having some classic american brands. There is so much good british, french, scandinavian and other european work and huntingwear clothing. Now I just see shops jumping on too much from the fashion side of things.

Ohh well, just a bit of a rant I guess. I just hope one day we can have something like a dutch version of LL bean or something, haha. Trading in duck boots for wooden shoes.;)

some please post up some dope vintage TNF. i have goretex shell from '98 but i'm not sure if that qualifies as vintage...

Yeah not really. I think alot of the 94' steeptech shit is cool on some streetstyle, but I'm more interested in the older brown label stuff.

100_1610.jpg

Like this Woollen Jacket from the early/mid(?) 80's

TNF1.jpg

Or this Blue early Goretex parka

cc76_1.jpg

I missed out on both these items on EBAY. They sold for criminally low prices. The wool jacket in particular. Slippin....

Thats a good answer. Seems as if the more "hype" designers go under constant transformations, but Filson, Duluth, Red Wing, Bourbon, etc., have and will stand the test of time.

Not to mention that these brands are more affordable. Paying $200 for a flannel is something I have a hard time justifying.

i have the arcteryx alpha SV jacket in black.

and it is the bestest waterproof around, hands down.

amazing lazer-cut fit, no compromise gore tex XCR, minimum seam tape, a decent articulated hood, laminated zips, etc etc

every single detail is perfect, even a soft chin guard!

ok, so it doesnt have a "superman release" or headphone magnetic strips...

but how many search and rescue teams wear acronym?

ps

check out arcteryx LEAF (law enforcement and armed forces)

Reposting this for the sake of better pictures, and just cause I'm sweating it so, so hard right now.

I might drop the dough on it, since it seems to be available in both Large and XL, which is a rarity for the likes of White Mountaineering and Waste(twice), the two other labels i normally sweat in this regard.

Please Click below to see more pictures of Sierra DesignsxPendleton Mountain Parka

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ripe/sie_7920/

Reposting this for the sake of better pictures, and just cause I'm sweating it so, so hard right now.

I might drop the dough on it, since it seems to be available in both Large and XL, which is a rarity for the likes of White Mountaineering and Waste(twice), the two other labels i normally sweat in this regard.

Please Click below to see more pictures of Sierra DesignsxPendleton Mountain Parka

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ripe/sie_7920/

nowhere near the quality, but I picked up a vintage JC Penny parka off ebay a few weeks ago that looks about identical to that...

But anyway, to come to the point sorta:p. This means that somehow the whole workwear thing is starting to catch on here as well. Not something I expected. I can not imagine many amsterdam fashion types being into labels like EG. I know there are tons of clones wearing red wings and flannels, which have kept me from wearing (plaid) flannel lately, I don't want to have to feel bad about wearing chambray and work boots too, you know?

All in all, I don't think I like the focus on american workwear for the European market done this way. They still don't know enough about the heritage brands like Filson and just concentrate on the easy stuff. Why not show some real dedication to your own heritage and roots? I would love to have a really good vintage inspired store in Amsterdam with a genuine interest in European work and country wear, as well as having some classic american brands. There is so much good british, french, scandinavian and other european work and huntingwear clothing. Now I just see shops jumping on too much from the fashion side of things.

Ohh well, just a bit of a rant I guess. I just hope one day we can have something like a dutch version of LL bean or something, haha. Trading in duck boots for wooden shoes.;)

I agree 100%! More exposure of European workwear is really needed, and it would be great to have some eu stores like that, that doesnt only go the americana-rockabilly route.

To the point, heres a french brand from the 50s, that still manufacture France. Looks really nice to me, since they provide classic cuts in moleskin and cord. I have yet to get any items though.

http://www.lelaboureur.se/main.php this is a swedish site, not sure if an english or french webstore exist.

02-500_large1.jpg

http://www.lelaboureur.se/images/linnjacka_large1.jpg