Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

This is a good point and one that's been on my mind. People can do what they like as it's their money but I feel a bit annoyed by those who jumped on the bandwagon once they heard Ande was closing down simply because they didn't want to 'miss out' or 'regret' not buying his jeans. Particularly when more loyal customers missed out in the final scramble (I don't include myself here as I have enough jeans and was only waiting for a restock of the 15.3oz). He's been in business for a long time so why wait until now?

Anyway, rant over...

what happened with me was i found out about ande whall relatively late and then once i worked out how interesting he was i missed out on the sr with the blue wings and was always waiting for that to come back and i would get one. there were a few other srs that i liked as well but somehow they became available when i just bought new jeans so i didn't get them. not to be defensive about it but i did feel a bit silly when i was panicking trying to work out if i should get one of the last few pairs or not for that exact reason that it was all too little too late for ande.

This is a good point and one that's been on my mind. People can do what they like as it's their money but I feel a bit annoyed by those who jumped on the bandwagon once they heard Ande was closing down simply because they didn't want to 'miss out' or 'regret' not buying his jeans. Particularly when more loyal customers missed out in the final scramble (I don't include myself here as I have enough jeans and was only waiting for a restock of the 15.3oz). He's been in business for a long time so why wait until now?

Anyway, rant over...

I'm one of those who missed out and regretted not buying a pair when I had the chance. For me it boiled down to simply not having the funds available. I already have about 12 or so pairs of denim, so adding one more pair seemed silly when I really only wear 2 pairs in rotation at any given time. I also have a toddler to think about, so it's either I buy jeans I don't need or feed my son. Over the years i've had to learn to control my spending and not give in to every urge to spend money. Nowadays I allow myself one nice purchase every few months.

With that said, I think Ande could've continued his business had he marketed himself more. I find it odd that he has an Ande Whall Art Instagram page but not an Ande Whall denim IG page. Raw denim is insanely popular on IG and I believe he could've attracted more customers to his brand had he posted denim pics. He posted pics via Facebook but not IG, unfortunately, there are a lot of non-Facebook users out there. Not bashing Ande or anything, just an observation. I think Ande's story is far more interesting than most other denim companies precisely because he does everything himself. In that regard I would compare him to companies like VermilyeaPelle, Truman Boots, etc.

I didn't know about Ande's jeans until sometime last year. Initially the arcs on the pockets weren't my cuppa tea, but they gradually grew on me. I kept visiting his site to see what new SR series he was developing, but I never pulled the trigger. I think it's unfortunate that he had to close down. The economics of running a one-man-brand probably didn't provide a stable income, which is understandable. It sounds like he's selling off his machines but the optimistic side of me is hoping that down the road he'll stage a comeback and get back in the denim game. Wishful thinking, I know, but a man can dream.

^ It's natural for people to not want to miss out, very understandable really. It's why people gravitate towards deadstock, limited-edition, new hipster brunch spots and other such things.

Anyway, I agree. Lots of great makers tend to have terrible advertising. Whereas lots of mediocre makers put actual budget into this, and sell a lot of product to the masses. Look at the "heritage" brands that are unpopular here, but massively popular in other, bigger parts of the internet.

It's good to be artisanal, authentic, and all the other hashtags...but you have to play it smart if it's something that's supposed to put food on the table, and not just a hobby. 

No disrespect towards anyone intended, just some random thoughts.

Maybe the earthquake disrupted things.

Ande is in Christchurch no ?

Yes he is.

In theory my pair should have left before the quake but I can't be bothered to inquire right now as all those people have much more important things to do than looking for my missing pair of jeans which might be lost or not.

Got mine the other day and the thigh measures 11.5" when the size chart said 12", was worried about something like this as I opted for the hand felled inseam. Other leg measurements match the chart though. Not too big of a deal they still fit and I was going for a slimmer fit with this pair anyway.