Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

Hi all,
Haven't posted in a while but I just wanted to log on to pay a little tribute to Ande.
Any of you lucky enough to have owned AW jeans (and I have had numerous pairs) will know the quality of his work. The attention to detail, craftsmanship and quality of materials has been second to none.
On top of this Ande has done all of this as a one man band. Working in a creative industry and being self employed myself, I have always seen Ande as an inspiration for the way he has gone about his business, good grace, humour and such integrity. 
A rare gem in this modern world.
Thanks Ande, I shall be raisning a glass to you to thank you for all you've achieved and wish you well in all you do from here x

Come on then, did anyone else manage to nab a pair other than Mild7 and b_F?

I spoke to (well, emailed Ande) and he won't be able to do a last roll as he has to make 30 pairs and vacate the workshop in a month. I genuinely hope this isn't the last we've seen of him in the denim world though, his jeans really are that good.

Anyway, I totally agree with The Clerk's post (above), he expressed what Ande is all about far more succinctly and articulately than I could. But I'd like to add that Ande is a talented artist and has his own art website so if you still want to support him, have a look here: http://www.andewhallart.bigcartel.comhttp://www.andewhallart.bigcartel.com

Hope to see the Ande Whall brand come back one day!

Good luck with your new employment Ande!

I hope so too, that is of course assuming he doesn't sell off his sewing equipment. It'd be nice if he still offered to sell his jeans on the side and continue with the brand in some capacity. who knows? maybe he just needs a break from the denim game.

^ Yeah, it seemed like such hard work to recover from the earthquake too.

I'm guessing this 'one-man makes pants' type of operation is difficult to break even, and the income is probably not as steady as other lines of work.

I haven't yet owned a pair of Ande's jeans. Looks like, sadly, I never will.

I'm guessing this 'one-man makes pants' type of operation is difficult to break even, and the income is probably not as steady as other lines of work.

I haven't yet owned a pair of Ande's jeans. Looks like, sadly, I never will.

I agree that it's probably very difficult to run a one man brand, especially if you're overseas and don't have a large distribution network, if at all. If Ande's jeans were in stores he'd probably do ok, but i'm speculating here. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a pair when I had the chance, but my finances wouldn't allow it.

really sad news. sadly i've only been able to own a couple pairs of ande's jeans. one pre-earthquake pair and another that i put some serious use into and now pretty much retired to weekends.

wore them a few days ago as part of my thrown-together bob ross costume.

30465642855_8266f22c84_b.jpg

Come on then, did anyone else manage to nab a pair other than Mild7 and b_F?

I spoke to (well, emailed Ande) and he won't be able to do a last roll as he has to make 30 pairs and vacate the workshop in a month. I genuinely hope this isn't the last we've seen of him in the denim world though, his jeans really are that good.

Anyway, I totally agree with The Clerk's post (above), he expressed what Ande is all about far more succinctly and articulately than I could. But I'd like to add that Ande is a talented artist and has his own art website so if you still want to support him, have a look here: http://www.andewhallart.bigcartel.comhttp://www.andewhallart.bigcartel.com

Was lucky to get a pair of 13oz. Probably refreshed my browser over 100 times throughout the day waiting for them to drop. It'll be my first pair of AWs; I was waiting to see if any new SRs would come out, and was really bummed to see that I might have missed my opportunity to own a pair completely. Can't wait to see them in person finally, though the whole situation is very bittersweet.

This is not good news. But I respect Ande's decision. Good luck mate.

I've said this before, but AW jeans are the best jeans I own. Caribou Indigo Standies, SR12 & 15.3OZers. (Wish I had jumped on those Black SR15's).

AFAIC you can keep the vast majority of those popular Japanese brands. I have found them to be ill fitting from the get-go, (there are 1 or 2 exceptions granted). Since moved them on, for a good price, to some other poor unsuspecting soul.

I don't know if anyone has received any yet but if they have and end up wanting to sell a pair of size 33 Caribous (not black), let me know because I'm willing to make it worth their while. I must have refreshed his page 100 times that day and still ended up empty-handed.

It's solid work as always. I went with just the denim pocket bags as extra pimping, but Ande threw in a selvedge fly too just for kicks! Even though i own a denim store now, and can take my pick of what we carry, i'm sad this'll be the last pair of Ande's i can get - will have to hold on to those 15oz Cobras i don't fit, just in case i lose a few inches...