Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I like the jeans too, but I have too many pairs of those right now.

Do you all take care of your denim jackets any different than you do your jeans?

hey guys,

i've got a pair of mustangs (sz 35) which i got in august last year. haven't washed them yet - will probably do it in a few months. they fit pretty beautifully but are just a bit too loose around the ankle to go well with dress shoes if i want to dress them up nice.

i'm planning on getting another pair, but i'm not too sure if i should go down one size in the mustang, or get the same size in a cobra?

initially these mustangs were nice and tight around the waist but they've stretched a fair bit and are very relaxed but still form to my body nicely - as in, not too baggy.

any advice on which way i should go?

cheers.

hmm yeah seemed like a no brainer, but are the thighs in the cobras a LOT tighter than the mustangs? the measurements are a bit ambiguous to me. i don't want it super tight. i dunno - i guess i will have to suss it out!

well, the chart says they're only a half inch smaller in the thigh in the cobra. i've owned both mustang & cobra in the one size, and i don't recall a huge amount of difference. given this denim is fairly forgiving i don't see it should pose that much of a problem to make the switch between cuts - i did.

For some reason my internet explorer was not allowing photos to load. Now they do! Who knows?!? Anyway, Ande your graphics and designs always remind me of the Raconteurs song "the switch and the spur". I know in the old models you used to have a woven patch, prior to that you had a leather patch...now the Ande Whall leather patch. Is the current patch the final evolution or do you have plans for something in the future. The reason I ask is...I'll PM you.

Hi Noodle, cool, I will get back to you via PM soon.

I seem to have had a few e-mails not getting through for some reason, not sure why, internet companies seem to change settings etc maybe. Anyway, I have been checking through the latest e-mails to make sure, if you haven't heard from me, e-mail me back and I will get to the bottom of it. All orders are are on the way though! Coooool.

• 2 weeks later...

Because I live in the US, and the no refund policy coupled with my utter incompetence with sizing makes for one scared Sagan.

No need to be scared, there's no guesswork to be done. I've owned 3 pairs of AW's and every time Ande's posted measurements have been extremely accurate. Just measure a pair of your own jeans and choose accordingly. I was nervous when I bought by first pair, but now I trust Ande completely, you just have to do your sizing homework.

Hello fellas. I have a pair of sized up Buffalo's, double cuffed in that natural indigo denim, SR can't remember. They are my comfortable chill out jeans :). I hope to get in new denim for SR5 soon, got my eye on something.

Hi Hog. Yeah I can't remember now, I didn't wear the old Miners that often. When I re-cut the patterns I tried to get them very similar to the old cuts, I had the size charts on the website still. So yeah I am thinking they were quite similar.

Thats a bummer we didn't get to meet up Maynard, no one comes to ChCh, even more so now, but it's getting better. We just got the airport all fitted out! Thats a plus. The real estate situation isn't very good. I want to lease a bigger workshop as I am running out of room, sewing machines take up loads of space.

Next time Ande, my Mrs was working on The Hobbit and I was looking after the kids and playing househusband in Wellington. We had a great time and did make it to the South Island on the Interislander but only briefly at Easter as she didn't have much time off. Marlborough Sound was beautiful. Like Arnie said, I'll be back!

Hi Hog. All the jeans are made when an order is placed, so yeah there is only a small amount left on the roll.

Maynard. Cool man. Wellington is a great city indeed. Hope you enjoyed your stay. My friends wife was working on the Hobbit in the costume dept. Yeah Marlborough sounds in sweet, I'm originally from Nelson so have spent alot of time up that way.

Thanks LFC! Top man. Is that Liverpool Football club forever? I had a great couple of days in Liverpool a few years ago, coool city.

Hog - I have the old miner dlx with the rope lined belt loops and cuffs. I also have the contest caribou. The miners have a fuller seat and thigh with a slight taper to the leg opening. The caribou are slimmer fitting with a boot cut esque leg.

If I wasn't in the HWDC 2 I was going to try the new buffalo cut because I am more inclined to a fuller fitting top block for ease of movement when I'm working. Hope that helps a little.

I believe the caribou was a mix of the old cougar and the cougar boot.

Next time Ande, my Mrs was working on The Hobbit and I was looking after the kids and playing househusband in Wellington. We had a great time and did make it to the South Island on the Interislander but only briefly at Easter as she didn't have much time off. Marlborough Sound was beautiful. Like Arnie said, I'll be back!

Hey Maynard,

Have you seen this:

Cheers Hemi,

I saw it on your Wakefield Hotel site (cool shop by the way), I only managed to check it out via window shopping when it was closed :(

I love the video, really makes me miss the place, I have so many good memories. We stayed in the Museum Hotel for about 7 weeks and then 3.5 months in Seatoun. We'll definitely get back some day and I'll drop in when you're open.

PS, I really like those boots you're having produced at the moment, they look great.

I saw my brother the other day and he was wearing his old Cone Mills Miners, they looked quite baggy in the seat. The initial patterns were very much a vintage cut, not much seat curve etc, then I added more curve when I tweaked the patterns about 7 months ago.

The legs are cut as a straight fit, all the patterns have a 1/2" taper, which is how legs taper to the ankle from the thigh. Funny thing, if you cut the leg openings at the exact same width as the knee, the jeans will look slightly bootcut. I think Nudie has a cut called Straight/Bootcut, which is what they would have done there. If you add actual bootcut over say 1/2" bigger than the knee they start looking very flary?!

Museum hotel is really nice Maynard. I stayed there when I went up see ACDC, last minute expensive booking. Loads of biker dudes rolled up and they were obviously slack like me in pre-booking :)

Edited by andewhall

Thanks Maynard.

I live in Mirarma just around the corner from Seatoun.

I made a pair of boots for Ande... so maybe he'll "help a brother out" and post a picture one day?

Hello fellas. I will do Hemi, I have been super slack!

So after the bad luck with that big ginger cat I got from the pound, he jumped out the top story window and took off, poor we dude. I waited for a while because he had one of those computer chips, but no luck in finding him. He was just to feral. Anyways I got a new addition to the AW team. Here's Jeff helping me out with morning e-mails. He's one of those bengal cats, bit of a lunatic. He's a nice fellow when he's asleep.

jg3d.jpg

jg1m.jpg