Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

odd, perhaps you are meauring wrong with the tape? I'm actually a 33 also in the grifters with a tape measured 33. I have muscular thighs so that's another factor that comes in. anyhow good luck with getting the right fit.

they were 16.5 across. i was told to do the pinching to see how far down i'd have to go.

odd, perhaps you are meauring wrong with the tape? I'm actually a 33 also in the grifters with a tape measured 33. I have muscular thighs so that's another factor that comes in. anyhow good luck with getting the right fit.

yea, i don't know. really wanted to get the sizing right so he wouldn't have to make another pair. think it's all sorted out so i'm stoked and another week wait or so isn't bad. i have soccer legs and didn't want something super slim so that's why i went cougar. the 30s only have a 7.5" leg opening so they'll still be plenty slim and fitted, i think.

Rob060 (and a message to all), don't even bother with measuring your waist, just measure a pair of jeans you like the fit of. It's easier to compare measurements of jeans to measurements of other jeans... the 3D measurement of your waist/thigh/whatever will just complicate things.

And as reported, the 33 is REALLY a 33 (16.5 x 2)!

ande's guide on the site is the best way:

METHOD #1: Flat measure some of your current jeans that fit snug in the waist, a freshly washed pair is good. Disregard the listed tag size. Be sure to square up the top of the waistband and firmly pull out the sides to its maximum width. Measure across the top of the waistband and double this measurement.

like i said before I'm participating in Indonesian Denim Group Contest

this is the update for the first month

DSC_6383.jpg

DSC_6377.jpg

a cross on my back pocket

DSC_6378.jpg

the hidden rivets ain't so hidden anymore

DSC_6379.jpg

slight fade on whiskers, combs and coin pocket

DSC_6397.jpg

DSC_6385.jpg

DSC_6384.jpg

thanks

Hey guys, hope everyone is well. I have been slack on Sufu in the last few months. I really like that thread showing all the home sewn jeans, it's awesome. A good British gent with connections to NZ made a good order and asked me to send him some construction shots. I am still going to do a proper shoot from start to finish, like that old one years ago...but updated. So these are just a few quick snap shots of the back construction...lighting and colours are not that flash etc, but you get the idea. I am moving the workshop into a larger space in a couple of weeks with really good natural lighting, so will be much better for photos and spreading out a bit.

Back pockets prepared, bar tacked and riveted.

hid1.jpg

Flip the pocket over and start stitching.

bp3u.jpg

Coming up the other side. Fold the excess flap into the pocket.

bp4c.jpg

Up and over the top, don't hit the rivet on the up and back down.

bp8z.jpg

Tie off the stitch at the beginning and end. One pocket done.

bp9.jpg

The rivet's still there.

bp10.jpg

Hand felled seam, also known as a lap seam. I often think how genius this seam is, whoever came up with it is a legend in my book. Even though it's a very tight rigid seam, it still has flex on the inside...argghh hard to explain that that bit. It's best done with a very short stitch length, 2mm, as the bobbin thread appears on the outside of the jeans. No matter how well your thread tensions in your bobbin and machine are tuned, the bobbin thread always looks a bit rougher than the top stitch side....however the short stitch length fixes this.

Wrong sides together, lap yoke onto main.

fl1jn.jpg

First row of stitching done.

fl5.jpg

Right side up, top stitch second row.

rise2u.jpg

Yokes on.

rise1.jpg

Then seam both backs together, this needs a bit more muscle as you have the thick yoke intersecting.

I've been wearing mine for about three weeks now. I did one warm soak, that I forgot to measure after. They started as a 33" waist at the waistband, they're now a 35" after wearing every day. I've no problem with this at all, I was hoping they'd stretch a bit.

Pics maybe today...

Dave

This is an absolutely epic thread, can't wait to order and get my jeans, BUT I'm a bit hesitant because I'm still not quite sure which style to get, even after doing all sorts of measurements and comparisons. I'm trying to get something to replace my size 29 New Cures, so I was thinking of going with 31 or 32 Grifters (probably in 34 length), even though they're a bit looser, which I really don't mind. Can anyone compare the fits of the Grifters to the New Cures?

catching up on some sufu action here

[orgasm status photos]

so ill that i had to take my jeans off and check out the construction. also, i notice that the pocket is sewn on in one fell swoop with the stitching on both pockets starting from the jeans right. these little personal details are what make AWs so special.

this is why we love ande whall so much.

qft

^^^ Very nice Rob.

co-sign. good goin'.

wearing my grifters right NOW. been a good 7 months straight now.

no pics, no care!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I was frustrated by the lack of photos of the new Japanese denim so hopefully some of these photos will help convince people of the great jeans Ande makes.

These are Slackers I got on March 5. Warm soak made them pretty hairy and they have a very subtle slub to them which should lead to some awesome falling. The raw denim has a really nice reddish purple caste in the sunlight which is now fading into some beautiful blues.

4455008861_297a32b3dd.jpg

4455795590_7f59f93923.jpg

4455797266_2591b15b2b.jpg

nice photos. mine aren't nearly that worn in yet and i got them a few days apart from you.

mine have stretched ~2" in the waist. emailed ande about this already but has anyone had a button top pop off? third one down on mine popped off once and i put it back on but it pops off super easy now. does he send you a new one or something?