Sign in to follow this  
nonissue

How to improve sufu 4.0

While the new design of the forum may be an attempt to realign it to be more consistent with the rest of the website, I think it is a massive failure. The layout is extremely cluttered and cramped, and yet it has SO much wasted white space at the same time.

For example, the red is wasted space on my mbp.

improvesufu.gif

I personally think that there is far too much going on, there's no reason a forum like this needs all the features that are presented to the user. Just try posting a new thread, there are SO many options.

http://www.yayhooray.com is a great example of a minimalist, functional forum with an emphasis on the content, which is how it should be.

Anyway, I want this thread to be a packrat of sorts on improving the usability of the forum.

I have to agree, this could be solved very effectively with a pulldown menu for all the sidebar stuff. It pains me to look at all the forced white space on the sides.

Picture%204.png

Whats with all the threads getting locked?

they're not locked, they somehow managed to replace the "hot" icon with the lock icon

best way to improve this mess is to revert back to the old layout...

seriously, it took you guys four years to break the old forum? this is pretty bad...especially for a site of this caliber. should have had us redesign it dammit

Word.

I have to scroll over to the right to view the messageboard.

me too :rolleyes:

there was literally nothing wrong with the old layout

there wasn't enough space to place adds. this is clearly based on perezhilton.com, it's awesome, it just needs moar pink here

How to improve? Change it back! Lol, in all seriousness, I want to be able to change my sig - my avatar - edit other things - check my inbox. Right now, I can do none of these things.

The rest of the site actually looks pretty good but SuperTalk is horrible. It's much to hard to read what people wrote, the reply buttons as well as everything else drowned it out. Incidentally it should be quite the opposite.

allow 'bag' as a search term. getting the word is too short/common message.

this layout and everything is too busy, it doesn't flow and really is a struggle to identify things, it just makes something simple complicated

the simple rep bar is now patterned for what reason? really look back at before and if something aint broke dont fix it

this is now a bit of a mess really

and btw make the pages looooooooonger rather than click click click fuck that im lazy

• ditch the dotted border fetish. css is fun...in moderation

• relocate the vertical navigation on the side to a horizontal nav at the top

• bring back the old rep bars

• enable quickreply by default...this shouldn't be another button

• STOP USING IMAGES FOR TEXT! use a font every system has (or if you must, sifr), but stop using images. the compression and antialiasing makes it look crappy and it adds to load times

• bring back the original forum view layout, not the boxes

• unify the color palette, eliminate harsh contrast. some of the old green is still here, some of the black on white with white text looks hard on the eyes

• make the supercontrol nav at the top an expandable menu with all the necessary links

• get rid of links NO ONE will use (calendar, supergeotalkers, legal, about) and place them where they belong...the footer

• overall declutter. there are a bunch of uncessary bars (like the previous/next thread, forum title bar, etc)

• fix the text margins and paddings. the top line of text in a new post is in direct contact with the bottom-border above it. looks unprofessional, to say the least...

fire the fucking designer of this. this shouldn't have happened in the first place, he really fails at usability, accessibility, and overall aesthetic. this whole design looks like a failed indy web 2.0 noob design project with its all lowercase titles, lack of spaces (replaced by the cliché subtle black-grey), etc.

honestly, if you keep it this way, you'll lose a ton of money from ads. i know if i was advertising with superfuture i would pull my ad immediately. it's hard to focus on a single thing, even the content

I wouldn't even care if the site was shut down for a week just so the old layout would come back.

the answer to this thread is painfully easy

1.) move everything to the left. stretch out the forum pages to fill the right of the screen.

2.) anything that is a dot becomes a line.

3.) freeze the left hand sidebar in place so it doesn't turn to blank white space as you scroll

thats it.

Reverting back to some standard features of vB boards would be nice.

The:

Thread title (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... Last Page)

Clicking on the link from the front page to bring you to the most recent thread.

And whatever else comes with standarn vB setups.

Thread title (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... Last Page)

The fact that this is missing from supercontrol makes it annoying and difficult to follow my subscribed threads. I have played with some of the customizable features, and it seems that one of the most significant shortcomings in customize-ability is the lack of a way to replicate old settings and manners of thread navigation.

Im not one to usually complain about stuff like this, but god damn what the fuck superfuture.

Forums work for a few reasons:

Easy to find information

Access to information

Comuicashuns with peoples on the interblags

and probably a few more, but this should be a good enough list.

About the first two. Sufu 4.0 is impossible to navigate, changing the forum view from lists to grids throws everyone off. If every other forum on the internet is list view, and suddenly someone changes it to grid, all intuition is lost. I dont want to have to think. I dont browse the internet for that. I like being able to browse without having to think about what I am doing step by step.

And the links... superfuture has had quite the presense over google/ other sites/ even small shit like peoples signatures. When you go around fucking with the URL, what happens is all of those links dont work anymore. Sure google results will eventually fix themselves, but what about past posts here, and over the internet? Even simple stuff like someones sig for sale items doesn't work anymore.

And, what happened to private message? There is a reason why it is displayed at the top of most web forums- 'cuz its important. Especially for selling/ buying. Its a bit of useful data people need to constantly see. Why hide it under supercontrol>list all messages? God damn if this was of as little importance as editing a signature, it makes sense to hide it under layers of menus. But its fucking private message.

Then we get to the left bar. Why waste perfectly good viewing area on that shit? I have two fairly big screens, so I'm lucky to have such large viewing area, but what about the people with smaller screens, or laptops? You just fucked up their entire viewing experience. Its painful even on my screen, I cant even imagine what it will be like for laptop users. I have a 10" laptop, and after I post this, I am going to browse sufu on it just so my eyes will cry.

And browser compatibility. What the shit did you guys even test this out?

43657066vd5.th.jpg

I'm not trying to take a shit on all of this, but its really fustrating. Clearly you guys put effort into this.

Now, to be a bit constructive.

Sufu4.0 isnt ready to go live. It looks like a work in progress, and when you put a work in progress in place of something that was brilliantly functional, you piss everyone off. Back in Sufu3.0, I would have loved to waste an entire day here browsing about shit, but with 4.0, I find myself in and out in less than 10 minutes.

What you guys should have done:

Leave sufu 4.0 as a separate entity from 3.0, as beta. Let people use it, and leave feedback. While you guys can tinker as you please. Forums dont work when basic things like posting, viewing threads, layout are fucked up.

edit: this was originally in supertrash, but I figured it was better suited for the official thread, but seeing how that was locked, its gonna go here.

Has anyone seen any response from the admins about these problems? Has anyone really addressed it?

If 4.0 is the future - I want to live in the past !

Navigation sucks - layout gives me a headache - team rapture - I'm in...