how long will u continue to pay for the high priced jeans

6MT

Quote:

i can see that. so I guess it goes back to my original point: supply and demand. but in general, if you are paying over $300 for non-vintage jeans, then I think you are beyond paying for quality.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Dec 19, 2005 02:57 PM

The way I see it, over $300, you're either paying for the name, or if you're like me, you're paying for the obsession.

RE: 45rpm, their two beautiful stores in Manhattan are not cheap either, which is something the other Japanese companies don't have.

There is something to be said for 'percieved quality' which is something that Bose does well. If you price yourself above the rest and manufacture the product so that it follows through with the promise the company is selling, (and you never put your stuff on sale), then people will believe that the product must be worth that even if they can never afford it.

That being said, I like 45rpm alot. I dig their company credo, I believe in the integrity of their product. I enjoy visiting their stores. Some would say I've been suckered into buying into it (even though I have not actually bought anything). I would ask them if they were that cynical about consumer goods as to never be impressed by anything? If not, then what's the point? Surely, 45rpm is impressive in its own right if anything else is? I have a hard time believing they go through that much effort to hoodwink people into charging more for their jeans.

That being said, I think it's funny how incensed people get about expensive goods. Like they take personal offense to it.

soultek - I am not arguing that 45rpm goods are not top notch. They definitely are - I'm just saying that they hiked up the price a lot between here and Japan, and I believe that is more for image's sake than actual costs of importing, rent, etc.

giantreptile, including tax, my 5EPs came out to $297 and that's the most I've ever paid for jeans, but I'd pay more for a pair of really great natural indigos. I may go to Japan next summer, and as this possibility increases, the possibility that I'll completely break my bank and travel expenses on one pair of jeans is increasingly likely as well. In the case of 5EPs, I do believe their price is warranted based on the extra expenses, quality and details put into the jeans.

Quote:

there is nothing wrong with expensive goods. i don't mind paying for craftsmenship and quality and so on. i just think there's a limit, you know?

--- Original message by giantreptile on Dec 19, 2005 03:50 PM

I don't think there is limits or should be.

Bring on solid gold rivets I say

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

imo, i really do think that expensive jeans is bought for your own self satisfaction. i mean, there are tons of people that wear jeans all the time, and won't be able to tell the difference between $50 jeans and $500 jeans, and they wouldn't care for $500 jeans. even if they do know that its of a superior quality. but when you know that a pair of jeans is so well manufactured and textured, only you can get satisfaction out of that. unless you like to show ur selvedge seams with 6 inch roll ups and yell to the world that you are high class or sum shit. i won't be suprised if i spend $800 on a pair in the future, taking into consideration of inflation n other things.

If you spent 500+ to get jeans from Japan, you've been had. I've helped/shipped jeans from Tokyo for many people and usually only charge 200+. Contact me if you're interested in a specific brands, model, size.

as long as i'm in nyc and away from the midwest and any possibility of finding good vintage jeans i'll continue to buy expensive new jeans. i foolishly sold off all my vintage bigE jeans before i moved to california a few years ago because i needed the money...big mistake. is there any place in new york that sells vintage levis and lee for a decent price (ebay going rate...i guess). i went to that store "What goes around comes around" but they were soooo pricey that i hated even being in there...seriously double if not triple the price i have seen similar lees/levis go for on ebay. any help?

i agree.

bring on the gold plated rivets and the gold foil stitching.

i'll buy that shit.

:)

-k

Edited by kiya on Dec 19, 2005 at 10:48 PM

i think in the case of 5EP, you got your money's worth. you didn't get a deal, but you certainly paid for the quality. I myself have paid nearly this for rag and bones. i think that you are on the right track by going to Japan directly. you'll be amazed by the mark up. however, keep in mind that the cities in Japan are of the most expensive in the world. you'll be eking just to feed yourself. it doesn't help that the dollar is like a peso.