Thrift store finds

breakfasteatre

inspired by the styleforum thrift store thread which is huge, but contains mostly ties, suits, dresshoes and cufflinks

post some of the nice finds you have happened upon

today: helmut lang wool vneck, 6.99

122199514.jpg

considering its a large and fits me pretty well, im wondering if its a womens sweater? or does helmut lang make fairly slim cuts?

i've found lots of good stuff at the thriftstores in the detroit area over the past 10+ years...a few pairs of 50's/60's 501's, lots of orange tab bigE, double v's, old denim work shirts and westerns...nothing really designer but that's not what i look for. as i've said before and as most of you in the nyc area know beacons closet gets really good second hand stuff....i see comme des garcon, lvc, fred perry, prada, marc jacobs and all that shit all time there for really cheap..like $10-20. last time i was there i got a bigE western flannel for $12, a 60's roebucks greenline selvage jacket which looks brandnew with really dark indigo for $15 and as i said before they had some 45rpm jeans for $15. good store and they buy at fairly decent prices.

Quote:

i've found lots of good stuff at the thriftstores in the detroit area over the past 10+ years...a few pairs of 50's/60's 501's, lots of orange tab bigE, double v's, old denim work shirts and westerns...nothing really designer but that's not what i look for. as i've said before and as most of you in the nyc area know beacons closet gets really good second hand stuff....i see comme des garcon, lvc, fred perry, prada, marc jacobs and all that shit all time there for really cheap..like $10-20. last time i was there i got a bigE western flannel for $12, a 60's roebucks greenline selvage jacket which looks brandnew with really dark indigo for $15 and as i said before they had some 45rpm jeans for $15. good store and they buy at fairly decent prices.

--- Original message by partytaco on Dec 18, 2005 06:57 PM

wheres beacons closet?

man... i dont even know where to begin...jean patou tweed blazer for $4, hermes shirt for $3, 70s levis orange tab 505 with deep indigo and talon zipper for $4, pea coat for $5, lots of vintage lacoste, lots of vintage dior(before hedi), hermes scarf for my girl for $8, etc... and thats just the past month or so.

id have to say my favorite is the levis i mentoned above... today is the first day in two weeks that im not wearing them.

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

man... i dont even know where to begin...jean patou tweed blazer for $4, hermes shirt for $3, 70s levis orange tab 505 with deep indigo and talon zipper for $4, pea coat for $5, lots of vintage lacoste, lots of vintage dior(before hedi), hermes scarf for my girl for $8, etc... and thats just the past month or so.

id have to say my favorite is the levis i mentoned above... today is the first day in two weeks that im not wearing them.

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 05:47 AM

whered you pick all these up at?

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by partytaco on Dec 18, 2005 06:57 PM

wheres beacons closet?

--- Original message by adsurgo on Dec 19, 2005 03:13 AM

Williamsburg. http://www.beaconscloset.com/

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 05:47 AM

whered you pick all these up at?

--- Original message by adsurgo on Dec 19, 2005 06:22 PM

i got these at thrifts around jacksonville... salvation army, hubbard house, and the veitnam vets thrift. since jacksonville is so backwards there is always alot of good stuff.

and those levis are back on my ass today... i love em

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 20, 2005 at 05:30 AM

^^ Uhh...Baseball? I think you might mean football.

There are a few second hand stores around here (Eugene, OR). The local Buffalo Exchange carries name brand second hand clothing. It's be THE spot for finding designer jeans at a fraction of the price. I just recently picked up a couple of Polo polos for 10.99 each. One red and the other in lime green.

There's also a store called "Eugene Jeans" that has some pretty good vintage Levi's. No Big E's as of yet but lots of orange tab and some GREAT 70's era button down shirts with massive collars. I found a safari jacket with matching pants (similar to the one Johnny Depp wears in "Blow") for a great price.

found some nice rockport topsider type shoes, soles in good shape, leather nicely worn though.

also a striped john smedley sweater. i usually end up buying alot of records from thrift stores too...

i find the key is just finding things in good condition rather than simply finding things.

Edited by alex_844 on Dec 20, 2005 at 08:52 PM

Quote:

Ok, with Breakfasttheatre's finds at V.Village, I decided to take a look down there.

and guess what? I found a Christian Dior Monsieur Trenchcoat for 3.99 ! bought it with my coffee money lol.

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Dec 20, 2005 07:51 PM

i think i remember you being from toronto. which location did you check out?