haptronic

Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

You have a ladies clutch bag in your back pocket! You'd be an osteopath's dream if you tried to sit down with that thing in there :)

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I've never paid much attention to Skulls but if my anal chemistry is right -

5010XX 6x6 - super slim (ouch!) fit tighter than;

5507XX 6x6 - traditional slim straight,

Both no.6 14.5oz sanforised denim, while;

5000 - 40/50's XX cut, 6x6 unsanforised denim,

5001 - regular fit (?), 14oz unsanforised denim,

5002 - early 40's war model, no. 6 6x6 14.5oz denim (probably unsanforised?)

..and

5109XX - traditional straight, seen referred to as a '66 cut?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

You're correct. I wouldn't say the 5010xx is as slim as advertised. If you check the measurements on BiG they're fairly large per size compared to most. I wear a 34 in most jeans (red cloud, 3sixteen, samurai) but can do a 32 in skull 5010xx

I don't think the 5010xx is that slim either, plenty of space in the thighs too. If the rise was a bit longer they'd be even better, it's quite short. 

Yeah, the rise is my only problem with 5010xx. Skull 5010xx was my first pair of Japanese denim. Love them and still wear them from time to time.

Thats odd. I went TTS but realized i couldve sized up one on the 5010xx for a better fit. But the 3sixteens ST were definitely slimmer than my 5010xx

5000XX + kawatako :D

img-20150603-06207medium.jpg

After the first soak usually in the skulls how much do they stretch/give after you start wearing them ? And if I bought the one wash from BiG they don't shrink much more than that correct?

After the first soak usually in the skulls how much do they stretch/give after you start wearing them ? And if I bought the one wash from BiG they don't shrink much more than that correct?

Theyre sanforized so i wouldnt expect much

We've discussed this previously and I still cannot find any information that suggests the 5510 and 5507 are sanforized.

BIG states: "Rigid/Unwashed"

Denimio states: "raw denim is not prewashed it shrinks by 3-4% after washing"

shop.fabfour.co.jp/ states: "Non-Wash"

Can you site a reference that states these two models are sanforized?

I have read up on the process of what it means for a textile to be sanforized. 

http://www.sanforized.biz/e_what.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanforization

So I'm gonna go back to my original statement that my 5507 6x6 pair were truly raw, unsaforized when I purchased them in 2010 at SELA.

Edited by Wörn75

I thought the only unsanforized skulls are the 5000? Or perhaps they are just raw vs the others being one wash.

I think Skulls (with the exception of the 5000XX) were always described as partially sanforized, so they will shrink but not as much as proper stf denim, hence the 3-4% figure.

rigid/unwash has nothing to do with sanforized...as sanforized denim doesn't has to be washed to be sanforized. It's a different process.

There was always the general opinion, that Skull's denim is only partially sanforized and thus shrinks ,ore than the usual sanforized denim. When I handeld my Skull 5010 the denim was obviously very flat and felt "pressed".

Right I understand what the sanforized process is. 

But if they are in fact even partially sanforized it seems odd that I can find no mention of it anywhere, not even the fabfour site.

Not a big deal, but it's always kinda bugged me.

I'm well versed in our world of denim.

Edited by Wörn75

But if you see it the other way 'round...

the 3 sites you mentioned also don't state that the denim is "unsanforized" ;)

edit: or loomstate or whatever...and from the feel of the denim I can guarantee you that they are not loomstate :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

From BiG's description of the 5000XX:

"Same denim used for S5010XX 6x6 but left in its unsanforized state to allow for shrinkage"

A clue!

Good detective work @Maynard!

True @beautiful_FrEak

I still want to get a pair of 5010xx after i get some wear into my current pairs =x

Here:

http://shop.fabfour.co.jp/showcase/BB035.html

http://shop.fabfour.co.jp/showcase/BB046.html

防縮加工 - 'Shrink Proof'

You might see it sometimes referred to as ã‚µãƒ³ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ©ã‚¤ã‚ºãƒ‰åŠ å·¥ - 'sanforised processing', but the Fab Four site uses the term é˜²ç¸®åŠ å·¥ as above.

Hope that helps.

Excellent!

Thank you very much @hoggreaser for the definitive answers.

Much appreciated.  B)

Skull jeans 5010xx (Texas Cotton) purchased in 2010, didn't wear them too much in 2013-2014 

pics without the belt are pre wash, with the belt post wash

XlXVPaf.jpgGyzE6zM.jpgQNRE0oT.jpg

LufAgUP.jpg

Edited by .BQ.

Those of you that have had both Texas and Pima cotton skulls. Do you really have a preference or if I'm interested in skulls It doesn't matter what cotton is used. This is a brand that's intrigued me for a few years.

I only owned the newer Pima Cotton model but I always preferred the fades of the Texas Cotton models. That said, I think you have a very hard time to find any pairs with Texas Cotton. They were already scarce when Skull jeans switched to Pima cotton and this move is what…4-5 years ago?

Besides that, there are no signs to see what denim was used on the pair you look at (as far as I know). So when you buy them online you have to trust the person selling the Texas Cotton pair.

To sum it up: it’s way easier and faster to simply buy a pair from Denimio or BiG (since you are in the States).

I agree with BF in the sense that I preferred the way the Texas cotton faded over the Pima, so I made sure that I got a pair of Texas cotton and I was definitely not disappointed. Others preferred the way the Pima cotton faded also, so to each their own. It took me a really long time for me to find a pair of texas cotton ones in my size especially, but I am pretty sure there are still a few out there. 

This is a brand that I really loved and was not disappointed with though.

Skull 5507XX

Tried searching and couldn't find anything about pairs with a zipper fly after like 2007. The Fab Four website says Texas cotton for the zip fly version.

Ki5Eybr.jpgFs8X0bi.jpg

bkpR1SK.jpg

JsGab7t.jpg

Denim is really hairy right now

nihdLgL.jpg

my orignal first pair, needs alot of repairs but i love them...

[/url]

IMG_6249_zpsfzk6vgvt.jpg

IMG_6247_zpsd1clvh9e.jpg

IMG_6248_zpscankm9d5.jpg

IMG_6246_zps7e1wwbec.jpg

Edited by chambo2008

^ One of the best fades I've seen recently. Just wow!