Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

haptronic

DSC06699.jpg

DSC06696.jpg

(i know these may need a hem, but i am not paying $20 for train ride up and down to tokyo +another $18 for the actual hemming, seems a bit too trivial to be spending about $40 on)

but yeah, i have somewhat biggish thighs so the 30 was impossible for me (i tried on @ fabfours walkin store)

I would really like to see some pictures of the apparent 'issues' with the recent batches of Skull Jeans.

Just what exactly are the problems?

Kiya mentioned specifically that due to what he feels was a denim that was not of the same quality he came to expect, along with super inconsistent shipments of the product, he decided to no longer carry Skull. I vaguely remember something along the lines of Skull switching the mill to another to make them the jeans and thus the quality/denim/handywork now being different. you can probably find more info earlier in this thread and in the SE thread.

^^ Thanks deadendpro, I see.

I did sense from BiG and ryansuuu's pics that the vibe and overall aesthetics have changed, so has the thread size/spacing and colouring at different parts of the jeans (maybe it was deliberate for the Zero line?) compared to the last Skulls I've handled (more than 2 years ago now).

The 'stock' denim issue is interesting too!

Is it the old 6x6 denim, or did Skull switch mills?

Did they hire a new workshop for the assembly?

Still though, I would like see a bit more justification and backing up (QC problem? Show examples and pictures please! Denim not the same? Descriptions and pictures please!) when people make statements which could/will seriously damage a brand's rep.

This reminds me of the comment of sub-par denim when we were discussing Pherrow's, or the sub-par leather comment in the belts thread.

Please don't drop a bomb and leave...please discuss with earnestness!

^^ Thanks deadendpro, I see.

I did sense from BiG and ryansuuu's pics that the vibe and overall aesthetics have changed, so has the thread size/spacing and colouring at different parts of the jeans (maybe it was deliberate for the Zero line?) compared to the last Skulls I've handled (more than 2 years ago now).

The 'stock' denim issue is interesting too!

Is it the old 6x6 denim, or did Skull switch mills?

Did they hire a new workshop for the assembly?

Still though, I would like see a bit more justification and backing up (QC problem? Show examples and pictures please! Denim not the same? Descriptions and pictures please!) when people make statements which could/will seriously damage a brand's rep.

This reminds me of the comment of sub-par denim when we were discussing Pherrow's, or the sub-par leather comment in the belts thread.

Please don't drop a bomb and leave...please discuss with earnestness!

well i think we know who you should be asking this to....

indigo tts 30

021-3.jpg

022-3.jpg

Brown suo 31

023-2.jpg

024-2.jpg

Black sdo 29

025-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

Just got my 5507s. I can get the buttons up but the waist is really tight. Also, the rise in the back seems like its going to go up my fuckin' butt if they shrink much.

Besides that the fit is perfect. probably best fit in the leg of any jeans I've tried.

So, will these stretch out like, a full size after a few weeks?

I can get the buttons up but the waist is really tight. Also, the rise in the back seems like its going to go up my fuckin' butt if they shrink much.

that means they're working! you might end up with bruises on your hips, but they will stretch and give and in a week or two they will be awesome.

I was checking out Fabfour's website and saw this blog post about the QC/quality issue.

http://www.fabfour.co.jp/blog/index.php?e=541

Is it me, or is "social network site" mentioned in the blog = sufu....like some of the other members above, unless there is evidence to the decline in Skull's product quality I am not convinced. These guys have been in business for a long time....

I think it's because Skulls was experimenting with a different blend of cotton for the denim in their jeans and Kiya felt that it was not up to their usual standards.

So people began to say the quality changed/dropped because SE was dropping the brand. Rather than experiencing the change firsthand, I think many people assumed that the quality changed for the worse.

thats not really what went down. SE told people for ages that the quality wasn't up to snuff with their latest runs, and cancelled the skull x se collab. I believe it, and I believe that they weren't running a good business, but I want to actually see the difference in stitching and whatev.

Glad I got a pair of the old 5507s.

Perhaps it is just me but i feel that it is easy for me to trust Kiya in a situation like this. He deals with or has dealt with arguably the top brands coming out of the Japanese Denim market (Flat Head, Iron Heart, Samurai, Toyo/Sugar Cane) and its been his profession for many years now. all of the collabs coming out of SE have been hits and everyone working under the Self Edge umbrella is keen on what to do with your jeans and how to size and what not. Just like Gordon at BiG i think that you can take his word on what he has dealt with for the past few years, day in day out. It is sad to see that one of our favorite brands has been dropped by one of our favorite stores, but in the end it is a business for both sides. If people still really like the cuts that Skull has to offer there will be plenty of opportunities out there to get yourself a pair (BiG, Take 5, Rakuten) so you should have no worries in that department. But speaking from experience, handling a pair of the 6x6 5507's 2 years ago when i first desired then and then actually purchasing a pair more recently from the San Joaquin stock there was a huge difference. the denim did not have that initial super crispness i remember from their older stock of a couple years ago, the jeans have more of a sheen on them, and they are less hairy/slubby from what i remember from late 07 early 08.

So I've read the past few pages discussion about skulls quality, but i have been thinking about getting a pair of 5000XX from selfedge because they are on sale for a good price. Is it worth it?

It is not worth it if you happen to be a size 30 and plan on buying before Friday....

;)