Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

haptronic

I bought a one wash 5000xx from big's sale last spring and put it into rotation in like October? Been wearing most evenings and during the day about 3-4x per week. This denim is really stubborn to fade. Not sure if their unsanforized denim is different or if the one wash process slowed things down though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is an old pair worn heavily from 2010-2014. I don't get to wear denim too frequently anymore, and when I do I am putting in more time into my samurai's and flatheads now, but I still really like this pair and they have a lot of life left in em.

5010xx texas cotton, sz 33. Hemmed to 31". Washed around 6 times iirc.

Wonderful denim evo seen here DaTruth1

Keep them alive for ever

• 7 months later...

I went and picked up my Skull 5010 posted above. It’s a local shop here in Columbus and the really cool thing is they have the red tab. The owner told me that they accidentally sent him the Japan model and told him to cut off the tag which he didn’t. Will post fit pix after hem

PS

As long as you can deal with a 9” rise I’d say go for it. Already warned the wife to be prepared for my ass crack hanging out all spring. Any high rise undies anyone can send me a link too?

Edited by The Chad
Update

On 2/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, The Chad said:

I went and picked up my Skull 5010 posted above. It’s a local shop here in Columbus and the really cool thing is they have the red tab. The owner told me that they accidentally sent him the Japan model and told him to cut off the tag which he didn’t. Will post fit pix after hem

PS

As long as you can deal with a 9” rise I’d say go for it. Already warned the wife to be prepared for my ass crack hanging out all spring. Any high rise undies anyone can send me a link too?

I also picked up a pair. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago, and the difference in cotton choice is interesting -- the old Texas cotton version was noticeably hairy and stiff like steel wool, while these new Arizona/California pima cotton variants are softer to the touch (relatively speaking) and less hairy, but much more indigo-saturated from what I remember. Still the same good slim cut with almost comically large back pockets and stubbornly shallow front pockets. $140 for these is a steal.

Also, Uniqlo for good higher rise boxer briefs.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, enojy said:

I also picked up a pair. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago, and the difference in cotton choice is interesting -- the old Texas cotton version was noticeably hairy and stiff like steel wool, while these new Arizona/California pima cotton variants are softer to the touch (relatively speaking) and less hairy, but much more indigo-saturated from what I remember. Still the same good slim cut with almost comically large back pockets and stubbornly shallow front pockets. $140 for these is a steal.

Also, Uniqlo for good higher rise boxer briefs.

Yea, they seem almost to be an overdye with the way the denim is saturated. Glad someone else went in on them as I thought the deal was outrageous. I’m pretty happy with them and I’ll be checking out those drawers :) 

• 1 year later...

Yeah when Self Edge stopped carrying Skull, it absolutely obliterated the popularity of the brand. But there were lots of complaints about quality, the fabric changing to a smoother, less interesting denim, etc. that contributed to it as well.

Today, it seems like there are vastly more options available to western denim fans that offer something similar to Skull or better. At the time there weren't many options for slim tapered selvedge jeans, and denimheads hadn't really come to a strong preference for unsanforized and rougher fabrics. Obviously all of that's changed.

A lot of those early popular raw brands in the west like Skull, Imperial, Cheap Monday, April77 etc. have fallen out of favor due to Japan Blue, N&F/Unbranded, Gustin, Bravestar, etc. 

I think Imperial are no longer in existence, however, I wouldn’t associate Skull with Cheap Monday and April77 or the implied competition from N&F, Agustin, etc. They are (or at least, were) a proper repro denim brand that also offered more modern cuts and options.

True that Skull has some more repro type stuff, but was anyone on here wearing that? I just remember seeing lots of high-contrast 5010s. There are a lot more slim selvedge options out there these days, so Skull seemed to lose their niche in the west on top of the QC issues/bad publicity. If I was looking for tight selvedge jeans for a high contrast fade, Japan Blue or N&F get you that at a cheaper price than Skull, and if I want a repro, something like TCB, Sugar Cane, or Warehouse would seem to be much more classic/accurate.

skull 5010 has pretty much the perfect slim straight cut for asian legs. quite convinced some of the early indonesian denim "artisans" simply copied the cut. good thinking i say.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

just bought my 1st pair of realy nice Skull 5002xx WWII jeans at a more than reasonable price. I am impressed by the heavy denim. Does anyone how much it is? I would assume at least 15oz. anyway I wonder why skull lost its popularity alond SuFu!?

I need a size 36 5002 model do you know where to buy one?

All this resent activity in this thread made me pull out a resent purchase.

I’d nearly forgotten how these type of jeans felt after a few years of jeans in the vein of lvc and tcb!

Quite a wide fit on me and need to be hemmed but I can’t complain as I got them for about $30.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, Cold Summer said:

Judging from the fading, it looks like they have a raised back pocked edge akin to Flat Head. That's always been one of my low-key favorite jean details.

Yeah, raised back pocket edges and belt loops. Lots and lots of different stich lengths and thread colours and a really nice hand feel to the denim. Everything that initially made me gravitate towards MIJ denim. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Had fun reading through the last 8 years (well, really just about 20 pages, but 8 years sounds cooler) of this thread last night. Finding a pair of 5010XX 6X6 for sale on clearance last year literally got me back into denim full-swing. Thank you Skull, thank you Analchemist, thank you Ppoduced by Fabfour.

I only wore them for a few months, though, because I started going denim crazy again, buying new pairs. They've been hanging out ever since.

Tried them on last night and just love the fit... above the knee. These are indeed "slim straight." My first pair back in 2007 or 2008 was 2 sizes smaller, so there wasn't any bagginess going on down the calf/leg opening (but alas, I am now in my 30's and have no business sizing down anymore.)

Debating just storing them for good as a keepsake of my first Japanese denim, or coughing up some good cash to have them hemmed and tapered from the inseam...