Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

haptronic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After the first soak usually in the skulls how much do they stretch/give after you start wearing them ? And if I bought the one wash from BiG they don't shrink much more than that correct?

Theyre sanforized so i wouldnt expect much

We've discussed this previously and I still cannot find any information that suggests the 5510 and 5507 are sanforized.

BIG states: "Rigid/Unwashed"

Denimio states: "raw denim is not prewashed it shrinks by 3-4% after washing"

shop.fabfour.co.jp/ states: "Non-Wash"

Can you site a reference that states these two models are sanforized?

I have read up on the process of what it means for a textile to be sanforized. 

http://www.sanforized.biz/e_what.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanforization

So I'm gonna go back to my original statement that my 5507 6x6 pair were truly raw, unsaforized when I purchased them in 2010 at SELA.

Edited by Wörn75

rigid/unwash has nothing to do with sanforized...as sanforized denim doesn't has to be washed to be sanforized. It's a different process.

There was always the general opinion, that Skull's denim is only partially sanforized and thus shrinks ,ore than the usual sanforized denim. When I handeld my Skull 5010 the denim was obviously very flat and felt "pressed".

Right I understand what the sanforized process is. 

But if they are in fact even partially sanforized it seems odd that I can find no mention of it anywhere, not even the fabfour site.

Not a big deal, but it's always kinda bugged me.

I'm well versed in our world of denim.

Edited by Wörn75

But if you see it the other way 'round...

the 3 sites you mentioned also don't state that the denim is "unsanforized" ;)

edit: or loomstate or whatever...and from the feel of the denim I can guarantee you that they are not loomstate :)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Here:

http://shop.fabfour.co.jp/showcase/BB035.html

http://shop.fabfour.co.jp/showcase/BB046.html

防縮加工 - 'Shrink Proof'

You might see it sometimes referred to as ã‚µãƒ³ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ©ã‚¤ã‚ºãƒ‰åŠ å·¥ - 'sanforised processing', but the Fab Four site uses the term é˜²ç¸®åŠ å·¥ as above.

Hope that helps.

Excellent!

Thank you very much @hoggreaser for the definitive answers.

Much appreciated.  B)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those of you that have had both Texas and Pima cotton skulls. Do you really have a preference or if I'm interested in skulls It doesn't matter what cotton is used. This is a brand that's intrigued me for a few years.

I only owned the newer Pima Cotton model but I always preferred the fades of the Texas Cotton models. That said, I think you have a very hard time to find any pairs with Texas Cotton. They were already scarce when Skull jeans switched to Pima cotton and this move is what…4-5 years ago?

Besides that, there are no signs to see what denim was used on the pair you look at (as far as I know). So when you buy them online you have to trust the person selling the Texas Cotton pair.

To sum it up: it’s way easier and faster to simply buy a pair from Denimio or BiG (since you are in the States).

I agree with BF in the sense that I preferred the way the Texas cotton faded over the Pima, so I made sure that I got a pair of Texas cotton and I was definitely not disappointed. Others preferred the way the Pima cotton faded also, so to each their own. It took me a really long time for me to find a pair of texas cotton ones in my size especially, but I am pretty sure there are still a few out there. 

This is a brand that I really loved and was not disappointed with though.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, while I understand current Skull 5010xx to be at least partially sanforized, can I ask how people have sized them? I'm usually a 32 in Flat Head for example, which is my TTS. Skull 32s seem a bit big for me starting at 33.5 inches, according to BiG. Can I size down to the 31 and get some stretch out of them? It sounds like they don't shrink much when they get wet, as they aren't true "shrink to fit" in that sense. 

Edited by Aviv

• 3 months later...

Just bought and received a pair of 5507xx from BIG. 

Im a bit disappointed at the denim from the initial feel. It's thick and soft but definitely not crunchy? like my 5010xx. The buttonholes were unnecessarily difficult to button up the jeans and seemed like the holes themselves wasn't cut properly. Threads seem a bit different as well. 

I'm hoping that this will change after I put some decent wear into these jeans

edit: THIS IS NOTHING AGAINST BIG. Great service and pleasant experience as being my first purchase with them!

Edited by noobedloser