Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

haptronic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So i just bought some used 5507xx jeans and immediately after touching them it was a completely different feel from my 5010xx 6x6 denim. I read something on the faabfour website about ithe 5507xx jeans using Zimbabwe cotton. Is this true? Was the Texas cotton only for the 6x6 versions? The denim is definitely light and softer and was wondering if this was normal. It's definitely a different fit from my 5010 but I think I'm liking it so far.

Skull changed their denim in 2011 or 2010 or so. All models after that (doesn't matter if 5010 or 5507) switched from Texas to Zimbabwe cotton.

edit: For their 6x6 that is. Maybe their standard denim before were also made of some other cotton

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Skull doesn't get nearly as much attention as they used to and I wish they still did. Amazing jeans.

Agree and agree.  Nice pair.

Raw Skull 5010XX 6X6 size 28 recently purchased and hemmed at Take 5 Bangkok. Several initial soaks and one initial wash. These surprisingly shrank quite a bit. Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

image_zps780873cc.jpg

image_zpsf54ef384.jpg

image_zpsca92c23f.jpg

What kind of shrinkage did you get?  I fear my size in the current lots is too big but I'd like to try them.  I turned a buddy of mine into a Skull junkie and his take5 pair is going through phases I never saw with mine.  They have a very edgy blue whereas my early Pimas have always looked like a pair of Cones.

Edited by jyoni

Agree and agree.  Nice pair.

What kind of shrinkage did you get?  I fear my size in the current lots is too big but I'd like to try them.  I turned a buddy of mine into a Skull junkie and his take5 pair is going through phases I never saw with mine.  They have a very edgy blue whereas my early Pimas have always looked like a pair of Cones.

Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements before I soaked and washed these so I can't give you exact numbers. However, I will say that with my chicken legs, these fit much closer to a regular slim, almost straight, cut when I bought them, as opposed to the very slim fit you see in the pictures. Also, the waist of these was pretty loose when I tried them on in the store, to the point where I could easily fit two hands into the waistband. Post-wash the waste was pretty tight, and now sits comfortably on the hips after about 2 weeks. The shop assistant told me that these were "unsanforized for the first time", and I consider the amount of shrinkage to be consistent with his claim. 

Concerning the fading and phases, I can't really comment as I've only had these for a short time and have yet to see too much change, but I'll make sure to post progress updates with pictures at regular intervals.

Also, the shrinkage was most apparent after a cold cycle. Hot and boiling soaks with a bit of agitation didn't even bring them close to where they are now.

Did a quick warm soak on my 5507xx jeans and worn them a few days now. They stiffened up and went back to being soft after a day of wear. These are definitely seem like the 13.5 oz Zimbabwe cotton compared tot the denim of my 5010xx 6x6. I am loving the fit also which I will try and take a pic of. I have been looking for a more straight cut and I think these do the job perfectly, definitely pleased with my purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shameless Interest Check: is anyone interested in a pair of 15th anniversary 5000XX in size 32 BNWT? These were released in 2010 and are the ones described in the link below:

http://blog.selfedge.com/2010/05/skull-5000xx-15th-anniversary-jean.html?m=1

They were bought from Self Edge and I'd be looking for £150 plus shipping (from UK).

• 2 weeks later...

frontSkull.jpg

backSkull.jpg

Skull 6x6 5010xx Size 30

Best Jeans I own.

Bought 2nd hand from owner who never wore them around 2009 (so I presume it is the Texas fabric?). Was missing back belt loop oddly enough, and I had a friend replace it with some denim from a free Nudie broken twill tote bag I received with a Terry jacket. Almost every stitch replaced buy hand. No idea how many years of wear (as it was rotated with some Flat Heads, Strike Golds, Iron Hearts, and Imperials over the years). A couple of soaks and perhaps 2-3 hand washes. 

Denim is wonderful. Feels very dense and is the most tightly woven fabric I have felt for denim. Very smooth feeling, the complete opposite of Strike Gold/Pure Blue Japan. Has an audible 'snap' when pulling fabric apart. My impression is that the denim is far and away the most durable denim (i have seen) due to the characteristics above. I will nurse these with ardent love until I am an old man. 

Just found a pic of the missing loop for reference. I never did get an explanation for where is ran off to. Anyone else ever see this with skulls? 

IMG_20110626_130158.jpg