Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

haptronic

Yes, you can be confident. Those jeans are nice and the construction is (so far) top notch. Only the button stitching had some uncut threads but no construction issues.

One thing I have to say, I was a bit 'disappointed' with the flat feel of the denim (but after 4 years of only unsanforized and richly textured denim, I'm spoiled) but after the soak, the denim got rougher and more interesting.

The Pima cotton is a two way street for fading, its MUCH softer but it also means there is less resistance to move in the fabric. I have some of the old new run 5507, and the denim has an almost satin feel, it moves very fluidly compared to handling the Texas cotton pairs, and even compared to my much more worn Flatheads. On the upswing though, the fabric is pretty resiliant, and BF, you won't be getting a whole lot of texture out of it if its like mine, but oh man are they comfortable. I like the Pima jeans actually, they are by a wide margin the most comfortable denim I have fabric wise, but still thick and substantial. Will get some pics up, if they decide to work.

rungo, i think we're all requiring that you post pics of your pima's...;D

mild, jumping from the 5000's to the 5010's is a big change in fit (unless you wanted slim originally?)...have you looked at the 5507s? Also want to keep in mind the 5000s are unsanforized and will shrink with a wash/soak...

Edited by aho

GGIS, yeah i think it will shrink a bit but already the waist is snug. Unless of course they stretch back out easily i could be okay.

Aho, you are right of course. Maybe I should ease down a bit. A high rise fit and loose fit is why i bought the 5000 after all. Slim fit jeans approaching late 30's probable aint such a great idea :P

b_F did you get much stretch in the waist after you soaked? I could always use some timber in the waist to minimise waist shrinkage a bit, like I do my SD101's.

Edited by Mild7

high rise and loose fit...the 5010 is the total opposite! :D

unsanforized denim (all pairs I encountered) will stretch back in the waist to at least what they measured raw. so this shouldn't be a problem.

as my 5010 measured a hair over 36" in the waist to begin with, there wasn't any stress on the waistband so it didn't need to stretch back. andd then it is partly sanforized denim. IMO you can't compare the 5010 denim with the 5000 denim. they are processed differently

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Wash is done and the denim has transformed, really soft even when wet.

Pre wash measurements BiG style:

Tagged 34.

Waist: 35.5"

Front Rise: 12"

Upper Thigh: 13.25"

Knee: 10.75"

Opening: 9.5"

More info to come once dry, but I managed to button them up all they way in under a minute once out of the wash. Really, really stretchy. Nothing like FH3xxx or SD10x.

Edited by Mild7

Bought from Self Edge a couple of years ago. The denim is dark, smooth and fairly luxurious in its raw state - I think it's pima cotton. Also feels pretty substantial for a 14.5 ozer.

Overall, quality (overall quality!) is good, however there's a fault on one of the chainstitched hems. I'm not overly concerned as they're about a 38" inseam so I'll have them hemmed anyway.

That was a great time to buy. What size are you? I was so tempted to save the money but I wanted the fuller 36 of BiG's inventory.

Glad I jumped on them because Take 5's lot appears to have come out even roomier in the waist, which would be too much.

After what could be described as "a delay" here are some pics of my first Pima run 5507's, colors are fairly accurate, although there is a bit more contrast in real life. They are powerfully easy wearing, if not questionable in the stitching durability department. This is probably 1.5 years of wear in, just after their second crotch rebuild.

IMG126.jpg

IMG127.jpg

Hi, I see some of you guys have recently discussed these jeans being sanforized but why is there so much sizing difference between the raw and one wash. I am just trying to figure out how much the raws will actually shrink. I thought the whole reasoning behind sanforized denim was so you would not have to account for shrinkage. Sorry if I am totally off base here. Thanks

RAW

skll_5010_6x6_ind.gif

ONE WASH

skll_5010_6x6_ind_ow.gif

Hi, I see some of you guys have recently discussed these jeans being sanforized but why is there so much sizing difference between the raw and one wash. I am just trying to figure out how much the raws will actually shrink. I thought the whole reasoning behind sanforized denim was so you would not have to account for shrinkage. Sorry if I am totally off base here. Thanks

You're right, the denim is sanforized. The raws still shrink a little however, but don't try to size up. Main shrinkage is in the waist and inseam. That's my experience on the texas cotton 5010xx at least

You're right, the denim is sanforized. The raws still shrink a little however, but don't try to size up. Main shrinkage is in the waist and inseam. That's my experience on the texas cotton 5010xx at least

Ok thanks. So should I just go with one wash ? They are saying to expect the waist to shrink 2 inches. Which is basically the same as unsanforized. Actually I have never had a pair shrink that much in the waist..... I prefer raw but the problem is if I get them and they say 2 inches in the waist but only shrink a half an inch.

Ok thanks. So should I just go with one wash ? They are saying to expect the waist to shrink 2 inches. Which is basically the same as unsanforized. Actually I have never had a pair shrink that much in the waist..... I prefer raw but the problem is if I get them and they say 2 inches in the waist but only shrink a half an inch.

I hear the washing process they put the jeans through in the factory weakens the fabric. I'm sure its not too bad though and if you're scared of shrinkage it could be an easier choice. For reference here's some pics I just snapped of my 5010xx raw sz30. My true waist is pretty close to 30 and these fit great (not too skinny)

8483962581_8edc4b73e5_c.jpg

8483961213_b3e26c2ca5_c.jpg