if you think it's hard to find a pair of jeans that fit, then i hope you never have to buy a suit

levistrauss

Try Claudio at DNA Groove....he makes excellent mod suits for a good price. Unfortunately you won't be able to try them on but they are very good quality for the $$. If you have a good local tailor to do slight touch up alterations then you'll be set to go

DNA GROOVE

http://dnagroove.it/

It will be very hard, if not impossible to find a local tailor that does MTM suits and knows enough of the mod aesthetic to get the details right. I live in LA and you'd think there'd be a tailor like that, but alas, no.

i've never successfully bought a suit off-the-rack. i'm muscular and usually require a 44 jacket. unfortunately, 44 jackets nowadays are cut for fat people; it'll fit alright up on top but i'll still be able to fit a beach ball in the belly of it. but then again, you never know till you try it on. i have a two-button black sports jacket made by levis that fits perfectly (a generic size large). it's their 'richard hell' jacket, part of their lvc punk line from a few years back, slim cut with a maroon satin lining. i think the levi's fit-models must have my exact buit, because all levi's clothing fits me like it was tailor made for me.

i've been to the dna groove website. may purchase some of their slim fit shirts, but will probably hold off on buying a suit that i can't try on. sometimes i can buy a size smaller and have some luck, but i really dont' think i'll ever be satisfied till i have a tailor make me a bespoke suit. there's shops in england that have been around forever and know exactly how to build the type of suit i want. could be that i'll just wait till my next uk vacation.

I posted about suit recommedations a few months back and I received very helpful responses. I'm from SF as well. My build is not muscular and wear a 40 jacket and I agree, American sizing is much bigger (As you say for fat people icon_smile_wink.gif) I ended getting a MTM suit in Asia since I was on vacation but I did shop around and had I not had one made, would of settled on the Ted Baker Endurance suit from their store on Grant. Its was off the rack but fell very nicely. Someone here recommended the Paul Smith Travel suit (tried in on at Saks) and it was nice, but on me it looked ok. Ok wasn't working for $975. I wish I could help out more. Best of luck.

www.shorthousecoffee.blogspot.com

levistrauss - first of all, OMG I can't believe I'm finally meeting you! BIG fan...

Anyway, you're probably better off taking a trip to a really good tailor in England, or another place for that matter, and buying a bunch of suits. It's probably gonna be expensive as hell, but hey, then you'll have all the suits you need and you like to wear. If you can't find what you want, buying anything is just a waste of money.

If you're muscular, then those DNA Groove shirts might not fit you right. If you do plan to buy one, I'd advise buying a size larger than what you'd normally wear. I bought three of them a year ago, and while I do like and wear the shirts, they're tighter than most Ben Sherman/Merc/Brutus/Modern Action shirts. The top button sits higher than what I'd like and is kind of tight (not the collar button, but the button that's right below the collar). The sleeve's and body are also really tight. I think that if I were to buy one again, I'd go for the large rather than the usual medium.

• 1 month later...

We are custom tailors located in San Francisco. We can make suits and shirts for both men and women. We have a wide selection of fabric to choose from as well. If you would like to contact us to see if we can do what you need, please let me know if we can be of service to you.

Edited by seymours on Feb 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM