Most overrated brands

MilSpex

balmain...i just don't get their prices... what about their construction/design makes them worth hundreds of dollars more than other made in italy/france labels?

designer stuff is expensive because of the design

"quality" (durability, stitching, textile) sometimes, but not always, comes with this territory. what you have to see is how design is a commodity in and of itself. although high prices are of course cycnically used to cultivate exclusivity, you should also understand the supply/demand dynamic.

for example, if one were to ask in 2008 "where can i find rick owens clothes but for cheap?" you would not have an answer, because no one was making clothes the same way rick was, and fakes/imitations were far less common. please note that this operation has no regard for whether or not you personally think the design looks good.

a less important but secondary point i will make is that quality is not always durability. another example: if you look at damir doma the textiles are often fragile or delicate. this is seen by some to be a desireable aspect of luxury. just because you pay more for a garment does not mean you can expect it will "wear harder", last longer or other stuff like that.

Mastermind Japan - Fuckouttahere with the absurd prices / fucking retarded skull and crossbone designs. same shit as Balmain basically except this is just absolutely hideous.

yep. i have alot of respect for mastermind and like the occasional piece, but their skull and crossbone branding that they plaster on everything is real shitty. reminds me of 13yr old kids drawing anarchy symbols everywhere because they think they're a badass.

Edited by conqueror

yep. i have alot of respect for mastermind and like the occasional piece, but their skull and crossbone branding that they plaster on everything is real shitty. reminds me of 13yr old kids drawing anarchy symbols everywhere because they think they're a badass.

however,

anarchy symbols on

underground jp brands

acceptable

(most of the time)

• 3 weeks later...

You're talking about nowadays .Worse quality than the past ,same pricing

Well:

-Balmain: design always sucked, few exceptions aside. The pieces for men are heinous,the pricing ridiculous and the quality was never killer. It is only popular because it is expensive and easily recognized.

-Balenciaga: Mostly liked Ghesquière's work for women, men was a little bit boring and the sneakers are waaaay overrated. I picked up a few pieces but the collection don't impress so I don't see what the big deal is. Quality is not trash though.

-Givenchy: I don't even know what to say, I know the bad taste is intentional as far as Tisci goes but not in the case of the buyers. Kinda like Versace in the 80s but without the terrific cutting and construction techniques. The kind of stuff the children of Chinese nouveau riche buy online because they saw it on derivative Asian celebrities.

-Lanvin: used to be good, now the designs sucks and the collection concepts are wack. The "dark" direction of the last few seasons was so lame it was insulting. Oh and last piece I bought at the main shop was one of the oversized sweaters they sold for an obscene price and it started piling after a week. Went back again cause I was in the area and they told me I should wash it to remove the piling, that it was natural, fucking morons.

-Margiela: Still some good pieces, I am still a client cause I'm a fanboy but men's was never the high point and is even less so today. Waaay hyped by rappers and other cretins.

-Visvim: Good designers would take a traditional fabric and uniform and get inspired by it to create something new and not evidently linked to their inspiration, they'd pepper parts of their various inspirations on various pieces of the collection. The Visvim guy sees something he likes and makes a repro, then turns around and sells it for 2K to suckers (love seeing white boys wearing that japanese denim thing, looks as funny as a bad Asian character tattoo). He's not even a bad designer, he's not a designer at all.

-Opening ceremony: Kenzo blablabla. Yawn

i dunno if this is still true but i read somewhere that all balmain's clothes are made at their studio in paris, the same way that couture and some runway samples are made. that kind of labor is far more expensive

Hmm, no. Do you have any idea how production is scaled? It takes a factory to make clothing unless you sell like 5 pairs of pants a season. Bespoke tailors sell suits for like 5K and barely scrape by, they need to have ties and shit in the store and a bunch of assistants otherwise they're fucked. CCP makes some things in house, Harnden makes some things in house, post-graduation Central st-Martins or whatever kids make their first collection sold to 0-2 stores in house. That's it.

turns out i read it here so consider the source i guess

i am familiar with how production is scaled but thank you for patronizing :)

Scaled in fashion I meant, I'm not some engineer guy just mean that there's not much you can do in a studio.