New Era Collaborations

Quote:

i'm guessing you just need a trademark and order a certain amount of hats. i doubt that new era actually bothers to "collaborate" (i hate that word) with small brands like 10deep, alife etc.

i mean, no disrespect but new era is HUGE in comparison.

--- Original message by genemachine on Dec 2, 2005 12:47 PM

That is what I was thinking, I agree with you.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

If New Era is manufacturing your design would you call that a

collab? They simply get the wholesale cost from the company

ordering the design nothing more (except their logo is always

prominant) they do sell their own designs direct that they make

more on of course.They are def doin something right people

are shelling out $150-$200 for limited ballcaps.

DC was the first brand to bring the idea to new era, i remember how much of a hassle it was. they had to send back their entire first run because of quality control. now its so commonplace, any small company that can meet the minimum can get fitteds. as long as stores keep making good ones im into em.

• 2 months later...

Get on the new era site and find the number for your local rep. and give them a call. About a year ago I was quoted a minimum order of something like 36? Enough for a baseball team - things may have changed since then.

Pissing in your pocket book with an eye patch on like captain hook.

i checked a couple months back with New Era and found out that the minimum order for a wholesale order is 10,000 dollars a year. and there's no way we could meet that.

but most of you are right, it's not a collab. they send you the artwork specs, you send them the art, they make your hats. it's no different than going to your local silkscreen/embroidery shop and saying "make me 24 new era caps with this artwork"

they're not the easiest company to deal with as far as communication goes either.

good luck..

-k

Quote:

i checked a couple months back with New Era and found out that the minimum order for a wholesale order is 10,000 dollars a year. and there's no way we could meet that.

but most of you are right, it's not a collab. they send you the artwork specs, you send them the art, they make your hats. it's no different than going to your local silkscreen/embroidery shop and saying "make me 24 new era caps with this artwork"

they're not the easiest company to deal with as far as communication goes either.

good luck..

-k

--- Original message by kiya on Feb 14, 2006 05:33 PM

No way its 10,000 Little tiny shops have their own small runs of hats made...

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Sorry to bum anybody out. But to my knowledge New Era has reached an "Account Cap". It takes a New Era account in order to being making hats and according to one of their Representatives, New Era is longer opening new accounts. I believe Volcom was one of the last companies to obtain an account.

I wish you much luck on trying to get your own hats made...I just don't think it's a realistic possibility right now. New Era BLEW UP.

Quote:

no way its 10,000...King Stampeed got new era hats and they aint making no skrilla

--- Original message by Bukkake on Feb 14, 2006 06:13 PM

To become a New Era Dealer you have to place a minimum order of $10,000, different than getting custom hats made

Pissing in your pocket book with an eye patch on like captain hook.

Quote:

Sorry to bum anybody out. But to my knowledge New Era has reached an "Account Cap". It takes a New Era account in order to being making hats and according to one of their Representatives, New Era is longer opening new accounts. I believe Volcom was one of the last companies to obtain an account.

I wish you much luck on trying to get your own hats made...I just don't think it's a realistic possibility right now. New Era BLEW UP.

--- Original message by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Feb 14, 2006 06:27 PM

I hope this isnt true, I didn't get a chance to call today, im going to call first thing tomorrow

Quote:

no way its 10,000...King Stampeed got new era hats and they aint making no skrilla

you didn't read what i said.

you can go to a silkscreen/embroidery shop and have them make you custom New Era caps.. they can silkscreen them or embroider them or whatever you want with your design.

the 10,000 dollar minimum is if you want NewEra to MAKE them for you directly as opposed to going to a third party. going the NE direct route only makes sense if you're doing a very large run of hats.

Quote:
Quote:

you didn't read what i said.

you can go to a silkscreen/embroidery shop and have them make you custom New Era caps.. they can silkscreen them or embroider them or whatever you want with your design.

the 10,000 dollar minimum is if you want NewEra to MAKE them for you directly as opposed to going to a third party. going the NE direct route only makes sense if you're doing a very large run of hats.

--- Original message by kiya on Feb 15, 2006 02:26 PM

I went to a local embroidery shop, and i was told they couldn't do the 3D/Puff because its done in an early stage of making the hat they do the 3d/puff then put the hat together

for clerification ths is how new era works as I know it from buying some 300 plus fitteds hats and working with stores to design a few custom joints

$10000 is the minimum annual amount to become a New Era dealer. this means you have to order $10000 worth of hats a year to have a standing contract with the company. Of this $10000 order there are basic hats that they knida force on stores, but you can also design your own hats provided you prove to be able to move the other ones, From what I've heard is you have to move $5000 worth of what they give you before you can place any special orders. Special orders can have custom graphics, custom sourced materials, whatever, but you have to be able to prove you can move product before new era starts treating you special just because you feel you're special, unless you can do something else like all these other companies that makes new era think they are special.

Again $10000 is the cost to become a store that sells hats recieved on direct orders from New Era. Companys like king stampede, stussy, Alife and so on get special contracts to do small orders because they have names, styles, and buying demographics New era wants to capitalize on. As a person has bought cap religiously for years now its obvious the practice has been extremely successful because I have seen people begin to compile collections based soley of skater/hipster collaborations. Its all good, but it has been a well carried out plan by new era to cross over from being a primarily urban style to noe with crossover appeal.

Yeah yeah and I'm sure somebodies gonna wanna say "but I've always worn fitted caps", and to them all I can say is you're basically trying to lie to yourself, because New era rebuilt up its whole brand in the past 10 years on the back of the urban buyer and just because a few fell they have been loyal does not compare to the urban consumer who has bought religiously for the past 10 years.

It's all good though,some of the new jack joints are dope, and some aren't, but its great to see some people gettin the opportunity to collaborate with the dopest hat producer out

Only thing funny about them is they have become hype pieces as of late, but thats how it goes, I'm plenty content seeing kids slug it out over funny colored ALIFE fitteds while I cop joints that no one knows about that are many times better because of their design as opposed to the name attached

Theres many many stores that the vast majority of people here have never even heard of that consistently drop hats in the same vien as the collaboration fitteds doper and more exclusive on a weekly basis

But thats my rant, and I hope it asnwers most of ya'll questions on the issue

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

$10,000.......

unless youre hot shit and they know it...

ask how Huf, UNDFTD, Supreme, Zoltar, Chocolate/Girl, Stussy, and etc.

New Era wont argue with them for favors..

But for people like us, they need to see the cash up front becuase we are nobodies to trust.

peace.

PS. There's gotta be a way right?

someone took my niketalk name here.

Edited by sauce1 on Feb 16, 2006 at 12:55 AM