Rag & Bone Japanese Denim

konsl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means the denim is fabricated in Japan. ie. spun, dyed and woven.

You should be able to tell if your jeans are one-wash or not. If they aren't stiff like card, they have been washed. Also tell-tale signs are some roping (crinkling) at the hems. They may have added laundry finishes like sandpapering. You'll be able to see that easily.

Quote:

It means the denim is fabricated in Japan. ie. spun, dyed and woven.

You should be able to tell if your jeans are one-wash or not. If they aren't stiff like card, they have been washed. Also tell-tale signs are some roping (crinkling) at the hems. They may have added laundry finishes like sandpapering. You'll be able to see that easily.

--- Original message by ringring on Dec 1, 2005 11:51 AM

Yeah, I knew they weren't raw, and I just assumed they were one wash because of the lack of fading, etc.

How does the quality of R&Bs size up to the popular brands on this board such as Nudie, APC, Rogan, i'm thinking about my next purchase....

I want APCs, but they aren't available here.

Quote:

They stack up just fine quality-wise against those other brands you have mentioned.

Go for it.

--- Original message by ringring on Dec 1, 2005 11:57 AM

I recently got some helmut langs, and i really like these as well.... so guess fit would be the most important thing anyway.

Thanks.

i have two pairs of Rag & Bone and LOVE both pairs.

one thing to keep in mind is that the inseam is 30, so it's quite small.

but i'm 5"6' and 130 pounds, and 28 years old.

i don't like baggy clothing, so finding these in 28 waist and 30 inseam was a godsend.

the ONLY jeans i've never had to hem.

the quality is top notch, seriously.

i'd say they're the best i've seen in years from a new manufacturer.

far exceeds anything i've seen from nudie.

so yeah, i'm all about them, as if you couldn't tell.

and yes, the denim is made in japan, but the jeans are constructed in kentucky, and the company is run by two guys from london.

-k

• 1 month later...

Picked up two RB8s both in 30/30 in DC at Circle Boutique (small wonder!) and Nom de Guerre in NYC. For me they were a godsend as well since I didn't have to get them hemmed. If you're looking for 30in in seams also check out Jean Shop in the NYC Meatpacking District. They make a great raw denim jean.

The RB8 are some of my favorite denim. They are one wash, has a greenish and sometimes greyish hues, and are 10.5 oz, I believe. I'm in Bangkok Thailand so having light weight denim is a must in this hot, humid climate.

I'm also from Kentucky. Can't remember where or who I heard this from, but I think they are sewn in Tompkinsville, KY (southwestern part of the state).

Just like Kiya and some of the others, I agree 28/30 - is a god send. The quality is fantastic, no need to hem and the RB 6.A & 6.B are extremely lightweight - 8.5% oz I believe (perfect for living in Hong Kong). I have the 6.b and now thinking about the 6.b vs. RB12's.

By the way has anyone seen their limited ed's - they apparently come in a walnut box, I would be curious about the pricing and also the limted part of the jeans. They seem to be taking a more "streetwear for grown ups" direction with their new collection (Fall06). Lots of shirts, blazers, etc, no t-shirts and few jeans.

Kiya, where di you get your 28/30's - what did you pay - I had to get mine from Japan. Couldnt find them anywhere else.

This is not exactly about their fabric...

Last week the triple threat team of Rag & Bone received $25,000 at Class of 2006 Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation award. The event, held at New York's Barney, celebrates emerging designers by funding their exposure during Fashion Week.

With the money, Rag & Bone's Marcus Wainwright, David Neville, and Nathan Bogle put together a great show to showcase their next season's styles. Wainwright tells the Fashion Wire Daily, "We never envisioned ourselves as a runway type of brand. This is our first real show and the money made it possible, really."

Past winners of this recognition include Zac Posen, Doo.Ri and Proenza Schouler.

Seems like RB is going mainstream in the direction of Evisu. I can hear the uproar in the underground fashion quarter. I personally would have liked them to remain an obscure company that makes great garments. But this is business. More power to them.

What about this makes you think that they are going mainstream (like Evisu of all brands)? I don't see any similarities between the two and the fact that they won an award that allows them to put on a runway show isn't really indicative of anything, as far as i'm concerned.

I talk about Evisu because I feel they have become quite mainstream in terms of exposure, distribution, and celebrity struck.

I say RB is going mainstream because an icon like Ecco is saying Rag & Bone is on the way to making it, which to me means more exposure, more distribution, and more celibrities rocking them. Of course this does not necessarily mean lower quality, abandonment of design integrity, vision, philosophy, etc.

But you have to admit, it's nice to have a pair or two of relatively obscure, quality jeans that your Diesel friends haven't heard of. Even better if it's from a passionate jeans maker who need money but don't care about building an empire.

Finally, I do think that winning such an award means something. This is primarily due to the fact that past winners have garnered international star status. Of course this may not hold true for this batch of winners, but that is what I am basing my thoughts on.

Quote:

I talk about Evisu because I feel they have become quite mainstream in terms of exposure, distribution, and celebrity struck.

I say RB is going mainstream because an icon like Ecco is saying Rag & Bone is on the way to making it, which to me means more exposure, more distribution, and more celibrities rocking them. Of course this does not necessarily mean lower quality, abandonment of design integrity, vision, philosophy, etc.

But you have to admit, it's nice to have a pair or two of relatively obscure, quality jeans that your Diesel friends haven't heard of. Even better if it's from a passionate jeans maker who need money but don't care about building an empire.

Finally, I do think that winning such an award means something. This is primarily due to the fact that past winners have garnered international star status. Of course this may not hold true for this batch of winners, but that is what I am basing my thoughts on.

--- Original message by pacioli on Feb 9, 2006 05:48 PM

I agree with pacioli - they started out with a great concept and turned it into something tangible and the obscurity added to the allure of the product,

Many a times, new found success has blurred other designers' original vision and it has translated into lower quality. Lets face it off this branded started out as a labourt of love and is slowly but surely turning into a business, like every other business there will be sacrifices and bottom lines.. we'll soon see.

If you look at their latest collection, its already preaching to a different demographic.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Anyone know of a stockist in the Bay Area?

abfits only has the trouser cut currently, I'm looking for 5-pocket (RB6)

What's the fit like on these? Compared to Nudie SS, or APC, or any other of the brands discussed on this board.

--- Original message by tangerine on Feb 28, 2006 03:18 PM

Go try em on man, if you live in SF it should be absolutely no problem for ya. As for stockists, they're on the website. I know for a fact that there are a few in San Fransisco. http://www.rag-bone.com/

Also, the trouser-cut does not necessarily mean that they aren't RB6. I'm pretty sure that most of their jeans (if not all) were available with trouser pockets, meaning RB1, RB6, RB11, RB12.

For the fit, RB6 is pretty loose.

^ Thanks for the info.

I have checked the web site, and under stores, the only one I saw on the west coast is in Seattle. Am I looking in the wrong part of the site?

abfits had only one pair left (trouser cut), American Rag had none. Haven't tried Rolo or Villains Vault yet but I have never seen them in either place.

minya? You're usually pretty up on Bay Area stock...

ask a cassowary

the Market store is sooooo much better (imo)... something about the main store in SoMa rubs me the wrong way... like it's a hyper-posh Urban Outfitters.

Meanwhile the Market store is a super-classy store filled with clothing that would break a gay man's heart. I love it. Plus their Nice Collective stock is second to none (I imagine they must serve as NC's "flagship" store given how much NC gear is in there)...