horriblyjollyjinx

Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

i haven't gotten a response in a few days about the swatches i requested. do they not respond on weekends and what not, or should i just send a follow up email? i don't want to be rude, haha.

I was after #41 too :(

but its okay I ended up if LHT #39 ;)

If the swatch looks good, I think I'll go with the broken twill.

i haven't gotten a response in a few days about the swatches i requested. do they not respond on weekends and what not, or should i just send a follow up email? i don't want to be rude, haha.

I'd give it a little time. In practical terms, they're pretty much a day ahead of us, and also closed on Thursdays. What swatches are you getting?

I asked Ryo & Hiro for some loose weave dark indigo, & gray samples. Using the guide posted earlier in the thread, I received the following yesterday:

No.15 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red line

No.16 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red(black) line

No.78 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5-14oz red line

No.49 unsanforized light gray right hand twill Selvage denim 14oz red line

No.50 unsanforized light gray left hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red line

No.53 no info noted

If anyone is interested I can try some macro shots to get more detail on these. Still trying to decide on what to order...

Please do take some photos. Also tell us what you think of each denim sample.

Got my hickory stripe jeans from OOE's in the mail today. Hot soaked them for about an hour and wore them around the house till they dried. here are some pics. sorry for the blur pics. these were taken from my iphone.

evc7ls.jpg

8202XX size 30x34

4in14w.jpg

Union made top button and donut fly buttons

wkig4m.jpg

exposed backpocket rivets and tailor tag

2wmnwaa.jpg

Front fit pic

2q3nrme.jpg

11uknls.jpg

Side fit pics. If you guys noticed, OOE's made the outseam on both legs in different colours. One is white, the other is blue. I think it is quite a nice touch.

Sorry for the extensive photo show.

damn these are fantastic, man! perfect fit too! is that a 02 cut? with exposed rivets?

yea man. It's the 02XX cut. and i specifically asked for exposed backpocket rivets.

Here are some pics of me wearing them to a birthday party.

rhuxwj.jpg

2cz981x.jpg

I wasn't convinced with hickory stripe denim but those look good, I think they look better like that than as part of a full on workwear outfit.

So has anybody had any experience with the brown side yarn denim? I'm assuming it will just fade more subtly and take on a brownish tint over time?

for anyone who has either or both, shall i get some ooe 02 or real mccoy 614?

i like both, similar type, fit and price but i only need one new pair of jeans.

any thoughts?

cheers

as you wrote the fit is similar, it's only the denim that differs. and with the Ooe you can decide what you want and would get denim not everybody has, because they offer deadstock denim

What different threading have people tried? ie, cotton vs. core, gauge, color, etc. Just looking for some thoughts on the different options. I'm obsessing about it...without really knowing what I'm obsessing over.

What different threading have people tried? ie, cotton vs. core, gauge, color, etc. Just looking for some thoughts on the different options. I'm obsessing about it...without really knowing what I'm obsessing over.

curious what people think about these as well.

alright, here are the samples i received. if the pics are too big just let me know and i'll re-size. colors are a touch darker in person. sorry, didn't want to mess with color-correction.

No.15 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red line

comments: light hair. seems to be the loosest weave of the 3 indigo samples.

p1020870j.jpg

No.16 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red(black) line

comments: light hair again. weave is slightly more dense. color is a little uneven.

p1020873v.jpg

No.78 unsanforized right hand twill Selvage denim 13.5-14oz red line

comments: definitely the darkest of the 3 indigo, very even color.

p1020874t.jpg

No.49 unsanforized light gray right hand twill Selvage denim 14oz red line

comments: very smooth, nice horizontal color variance.

p1020875h.jpg

No.50 unsanforized light gray left hand twill Selvage denim 13.5oz red line

comments: very smooth and even color. more towards a blue-ish gray.

p1020876g.jpg

No.53 no info noted

comments: lighter weight than the other two gray samples. some nice vertical color variance. has a very gunmetal color to it.

p1020877z.jpg

---

hopefully the info is helpful to someone. i can try to take to take direct sunlight pics of someone really wants them.

I got the cotton core thread on my jeans, its busted in several places with only 5 months of constant wear. I have no problem with repairing so i´m fine and its nice to have it more vintage styled. Although polyester core would probably hold up alot better.

15 and 49 looks like the 2 best choice.

yeah, i'm trying to decide between 15 & 16 for the indigo and will probably go for 49 for the gray. i've never done gray raw so that should be interesting.

I noticed denim #44 on OOE's blog and it's listed as "broken denim". Is it distressed as the name implies or is the effect in the weaving process? thanks

I noticed denim #44 on OOE's blog and it's listed as "broken denim". Is it distressed as the name implies or is the effect in the weaving process? thanks

It's a broken twill denim.

^ Thanks, I Googled it and found this description from SF. "Instead of the twill running to the right or left, broken twill jeans (traditionally considered the cowboy-preferred denim) contain no distinct direction of weave. The weave is instead alternated right and left - the end effect resembles a random zig-zag." Maybe everyone else knows, I didn't.

I got the cotton core thread on my jeans, its busted in several places with only 5 months of constant wear. I have no problem with repairing so i´m fine and its nice to have it more vintage styled. Although polyester core would probably hold up alot better.

I'm thinking of trying polycore for my inseam and center-of-the-butt stitching, so that the threading around the crotch is stronger. I wish the gauge was more like that of the cotton...I'll have to ask them if it will look too strange if I mix threading.

^ Thanks, I Googled it and found this description from SF. "Instead of the twill running to the right or left, broken twill jeans (traditionally considered the cowboy-preferred denim) contain no distinct direction of weave. The weave is instead alternated right and left - the end effect resembles a random zig-zag." Maybe everyone else knows, I didn't.

That is a beautiful broken twill, Lance. I'll dig my swatch up and post it. It's got a nice brownish tone, is really slubby and irregular for what I've seen of broken twill, and the weft is unbleached. My favorite. Ryo and Hiro sent me some pics of early fading which I will also post. Unfortunately the pic is not an example of extended fading.

^ Thanks, jyoni - I'd like to see it. I'm communicating with OOE now and I'll order the 02 cut with 44 denim. What is the weight of 44 denim; at least near as you can tell? I'm hoping around 14 oz.

4034833399_c6b288d27f_o.jpg

4035587848_d1a85c1f37_o.jpg

4035587896_a5c4bc3714_o.jpg

Pics don't really capture the "ruddy" tone.

Wear pic, but not too far in.

?ui=2&ik=47942d4f49&view=att&th=1246ca7faece5169&attid=0.3&disp=inline&zw

I like it - I'll order as soon as they respond. Have you decided which thread, cotton or polycore, you will use? Also, I'm going with donut buttons. Are you having any options?