Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

• 3 weeks later...

Over a decade ago Ooe made me five fully bespoke pair of jeans, (essentially 02s with a 14” front rise.) They are the very best jeans in my closet, along with other bespoke jeans, and I thank Ryo and Hiro to this day for solving a big problem for me. But things at Ooe have changed in the meantime, no more website, no custom jeans and I have lost track of them. My jeans were made from the #12 and #41 denim from back then. How does the denim they use now compare? The cut of the jeans I see in the most recent pictures seems different. Have they changed their patterns from the 01, 02, 03? And finally, how do we buy Ooe jeans anymore? It was so simple back in the day! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mifune

5 hours ago, Mifune said:

Over a decade ago Ooe made me five fully bespoke pair of jeans, (essentially 02s with a 14” front rise.) They are the very best jeans in my closet, along with other bespoke jeans, and I thank Ryo and Hiro to this day for solving a big problem for me. But things at Ooe have changed in the meantime, no more website, no custom jeans and I have lost track of them. My jeans were made from the #12 and #41 denim from back then. How does the denim they use now compare? The cut of the jeans I see in the most recent pictures seems different. Have they changed their patterns from the 01, 02, 03? And finally, how do we buy Ooe jeans anymore? It was so simple back in the day! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Those were the days! I still kick myself for never getting a pair in #36 which had such a nice light blue hue to it, almost like a mix between WH 15th Anniversary and 1000XX. And also #43. I still have an envelope of basically all the available fabric swatches that they'd used to send collecting dust in my closet...All that said, I would say that they've maintained that same spirit of handmade personality and the cuts remain relatively unchanged. The 03 is hardest to come by, but in general I would say their standard OAXX denim and it's time machine variants etc. are a step above the available fabrics from back in the day that feel just as in step with the options in the past. It is essentially a distillation of all the qualities they were trying to achieve in those previous fabrics but now down to a science (check out some faded examples on their Instagram). 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_jDidsjiVT/

As far as how to buy, you have to go through retailers. Depending on what country you live, Standard & Strange is the main outlet for US based consumers. You also have the option of contacting some of their Japanese distributors like Barnstormer (www.barnstormer.jp) who they work with fairly frequently. All in all, I would say you'll still be impressed by the end product despite not having a hand in the exact designs, but what you do end up purchasing is a direct distillation of what Ooe themselves would want to make. My favorite jeans ever if you couldn't tell!

12 hours ago, aho said:

Those were the days! I still kick myself for never getting a pair in #36 which had such a nice light blue hue to it, almost like a mix between WH 15th Anniversary and 1000XX. And also #43. I still have an envelope of basically all the available fabric swatches that they'd used to send collecting dust in my closet...All that said, I would say that they've maintained that same spirit of handmade personality and the cuts remain relatively unchanged. The 03 is hardest to come by, but in general I would say their standard OAXX denim and it's time machine variants etc. are a step above the available fabrics from back in the day that feel just as in step with the options in the past. It is essentially a distillation of all the qualities they were trying to achieve in those previous fabrics but now down to a science (check out some faded examples on their Instagram). 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_jDidsjiVT/

As far as how to buy, you have to go through retailers. Depending on what country you live, Standard & Strange is the main outlet for US based consumers. You also have the option of contacting some of their Japanese distributors like Barnstormer (www.barnstormer.jp) who they work with fairly frequently. All in all, I would say you'll still be impressed by the end product despite not having a hand in the exact designs, but what you do end up purchasing is a direct distillation of what Ooe themselves would want to make. My favorite jeans ever if you couldn't tell!

Aho

Yes, had I known Ooe were going to stop making custom, I would have ordered a dozen pair in a variety of denims. I had a personal pattern made by them and I thought, as is the case with most tailors, that I would be able to order from my pattern moving forward. Then I remember getting an email from Ryo saying that they were ceasing the bespoke operation. I tried to place one last order but it was too late. Ouch! (The #43 was on my list as well.) Ooe jeans are my favorites too probably because I really enjoyed working with Ryo and Hiro.  Sadly their stock patterns do not fit me and buying them through dealers would not feel the same, so I guess Ooe is a page I will just have to turn. We we're pretty spoiled by Ooe back in the day! 

@heyson I sized these like all my other Ooe. They’re very true to size, but the waist is definitely more forgiving than most Ooe. I went with a 33, it’s what I typically wear with them. The fit is loose in the top block, slim in the legs. Very flattering.

Edited by srudy

• 2 months later...

@shredwin_206 these are the Mechanic's Overalls that S&S has for preorder at the beginning of the year.
My pair in the ecru denim is posted above, same details just made using deadstock 10.5 oz. Cone.
Should be shipping to S&S soon, I've got a pair preordered. I suspect they'll have some additional sizes on hand for sale as well.

Just pre-ordered a pair as well, I was totally out of the loop and didn't realize S&S was getting them after all. E-mail Standard & Strange and they just might have a pair in your size left to claim! Super excited for these, probably the best looking denim this decade