Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

@Broark HA! that is hysterical. i know what you mean. ugh, but these are pretty great. very similar to the OA01, but with some intriguing details inspired by a pair of late 40’s 501’s that will probably be interesting to the hardcore types! i’ll defer to the guys at S&S on describing those. plus, these are made from a special run of heavyweight, gray weft denim similar to but a bit different from the DB01. i’m really excited about them!

16 hours ago, tigermilk said:

@Broark HA! that is hysterical. i know what you mean. ugh, but these are pretty great. very similar to the OA01, but with some intriguing details inspired by a pair of late 40’s 501’s that will probably be interesting to the hardcore types! i’ll defer to the guys at S&S on describing those. plus, these are made from a special run of heavyweight, gray weft denim similar to but a bit different from the DB01. i’m really excited about them!

The Golden Gates look great. 16 oz right? It seems like a perfect weight. Had the chance to see the regular OOEs at S&S over a year ago and really like all the details. 

I really like the look of the Golden Gate jeans on S&S's site. Denim looks great! But... I don't care at all for the belt loops being centered between the pocket and fly. They're too close together. This sort of detail necessitates a belt with a rather small buckle with a keeper that's also very close to the buckle. That's really a deal killer for me... 

yeah, I was also thinking it could be intended for a solid face type buckle that has a pin on the back, where the tail end of the belt passes behind instead of in front (I'm thinking of western style buckles) 

My CSF 1946 1st half jeans have the same kind of belt loop placement, it's a little odd at first but then you get used to it. I use my Tender Co. belt and it works fine.
I'm guessing I should go with my normal 38 on the Golden Gate Denim like my other Ooe's? Trying to decide if they are too similar to my DB01's or not...

I think I'm going to have to hold off for the time being, too much denim not enough legs.
Might list a couple pairs for sale this weekend to fund these though.
Hoping that 38 sticks around a little while, but knowing how Ooe sells usually it probably won't.

12 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

Does Standard & Strange offer hemming?

Yep!  They can usually turn them around pretty quickly.

6 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

exiting  - waiting for the first fit pics...

Take a look at @sanforizedson on IG!  

they great on @sanforizedson's pics! I may need to get over my inhibitions about the close spaced belt loops... 

Edited by mpukas

On 1/23/2018 at 8:52 AM, Foxy2 said:

exiting  - waiting for the first fit pics...

Here's Brandon in an unsoaked pair.

13 hours ago, mpukas said:

they great on @sanforizedson's pics! I may need to get my inhibitions about the close spaced belt loops... 

My take on those - as the guy who decided to use them: I had the same reservations about the spacing, but I really liked the '40s aesthetic about the wide loops centered. I just wear my belt off-center to deal with it. 

On 1/23/2018 at 2:29 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I think with Ooe being a repro brand, they simply took it from the vintage Levi's 501 examples.

Yes, 1946 pair. 

On 1/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, tigermilk said:

The other two details that I'm really into - the mismatched side stitches. One side is lock stitch, one side is chain stitch. Production error on the vintage pair we were looking at, and we decided to run with it. The coin pocket is non-selvedge because we cut it on the bias, vintage-style. It creates really interesting fades that way.

OA-01 GGD-20.jpg

On 1/23/2018 at 4:52 PM, mpukas said:

they great on @sanforizedson's pics! I may need to get my inhibitions about the close spaced belt loops... 

thank you! i wear a ewing dry goods belt which i would not think of as dainty, and the buckle and holder fits between the front belt loops without problem. unless you have one of those big trucker style buckles... :P for me, the loop placement is an interesting, quirky feature of the denim, but does not affect function.

12 hours ago, tigermilk said:

posted this on instagram, but this was my first day wearing the golden gate, post-2h hot water soak. very happy with the results. so much to like about this denim.

90BA5A0D-0523-47DA-83DC-4DD1C957C324.jpeg

Great fit. From what I’ve read about the denim, it seems like it has a tight weave. Is this true? Will it be breathable for warmer weather? I’m wondering since I live in S. California and can’t really deal with a tight weave. IHs signature 21 oz is fine for me but SDAs are too hot in warmer weather.

12 hours ago, tigermilk said:

posted this on instagram, but this was my first day wearing the golden gate, post-2h hot water soak. very happy with the results. so much to like about this denim.

Fit looks great, @tigermilk Did you follow the sizing advice S&S provides for these jeans, i.e. to size up 2 from your usual size? If not, how did you size them? Does the denim have some stretch to it, or does it feel like it's going to stay put after it shrinks?

@spacecadet The weave does seem on the tight side. Also the denim is quite heavy and stiff so far, sitting around the skin in places rather than directly on. I'm sure this will change as they soften and loosen. I'm not saying you couldn't wear them in southern CA weather year round, but it would take some dedication. The fades would be great though!

22 hours ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

Fit looks great, @tigermilk Did you follow the sizing advice S&S provides for these jeans, i.e. to size up 2 from your usual size? If not, how did you size them? Does the denim have some stretch to it, or does it feel like it's going to stay put after it shrinks?

Thank you, @Josh'N'Roll! I got a size 32, and I typically wear a size 30 or 31 in denim. I'm finding the denim has stretched already with a few wears. I will likely do one more hot soak when the weather improves a bit, and leave it at that. Definitely size up one or two from your usual with Ooe.