Eastern European cities

Nice Touch

Has anyone any experience of Eastern Europe?

I'm thinking of taking the Mrs to somewhere more interesting than Paris or Amsterdam for a few days for a bit of R&R and shopping.

What's the best cities (Warsaw, Prague for example) for tourism, quality shopping and good prices?

Not really bothered about clubs and stuff. We like clothing by young designers/underground labels and re-cycle stuff.

Thanks

Re-open the Quad!

If you're after a romantic tête-à-tête, head for Prague even though at certain periods of the year the (inner) city is swamped by tourists, notably loud single male Britons who fly in on cheap carriers to celebrate their stag parties here (grmppfff...). Good shopping if you're into glass, crystal and retro cubist design.

Budapest is a good second option. Less fairy-tale but definitely more energy than Prague and a great party town as the Hungarians are Mediterraneans in disguise.

Moscow...ah, Moscow! One of the most exciting cities I've been to. This is a third world city in some areas and then again it equals New York and Tokyo in others. Probably not a destination for a long weekend but for at least a week and I'd recommend teaming up with a local to really get into that energetic Moscow vibe. Great nightlife but shopping [fashion] here mainly means big names for big bucks but check out the emerging Russian brands like Chapurin which may be less expensive.

Before going there I heard some pretty disconcerting first-hand stories too. In reality it seems that most of the first generation bandits and hooligans have kinda gentrified themselves. The Moscow economy has been booming for years and many earn decent and legal money nowadays. Ofcourse you still shouldn't flash your Tag Heuer or iPod on the subway! What still hasn't been eradicated is the racial violence, actually the phenomenon I feared most. It's been relatively quiet the past few years but due to the recent massacre in Beslan, Southern Russia and the two plane crashes I've heard that right-wing extremists have taken to the street again in full force to attack and molest ethnic minorities.