The Sales Assistants Thread

__CB__

I'm sure this must've been discussed before, but couldn't find a thread...

What do people like / hate when it comes to (clothing) sales assistants?

Personally, I usually prefer to be left alone. If I need help, I'll ask for it.

Hate - (Generally noob) staff who recommend clothes nothing like my style.

Ultra Hate - Staff who follow/stalk you around the store. So creepy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in retail and I can definitely appreciate how customers prefer to be treated, but depending on the store, it's their job to hustle and sell. If you're rolling into a spot where shit just sells itself and staff can just just relax it's one thing... I hate walking into a store and being ignored though. On the other hand, I could bitch all day about certain customers... Cats that come in and unfold every tee in the stack to check the graphic. People who mix up "expensive" and "overpriced". Or, the guy who came in yesterday who wanted a jean to fit "like the ones Tom Petty wears".

i've been in retail for a while mostly at very good places.

although i mainly do management and visuals i do find myself conversing with customers more often than not. my method is to read somebody of something i can drop knowledge on to gain their respect then speak with them on the real to not come off as trying to take their money. then when i got em i rake em over the coals.

Small place. Chill neighborhood. People come in and look. Sometimes they talk. Sometimes they don't. I don't really try to be too engaging unless people seem like they want to talk. Otherwise, I let them be and if they want to ask for things, I'm sure they will.

I HATE being ignored when walking into a store. Sadly this is getting common practice in Switzerland, independent of what kind of store it is. I wouldn't even mind if they stalk me around or give me advices I don't need...just do the greeting please!

a polite 'hello' when i first come in is nice. asking if i'm looking for anything in particular, and an "i'll be over here if you need me" also works well. then just let me look around until i come to you. and at least say 'bye' when i'm leaving, or ask if i couldn't find what i was looking for.

i hate people that mess things up when they shop, especially if they're meanies (even if they buy lots of stuff). feel free to clean up after their mess in a conspicuous, irate manner. if they're nice and enthusiastic, it's ok even if they don't buy anything.

my method is to read somebody of something i can drop knowledge on to gain their respect then speak with them on the real to not come off as trying to take their money. then when i got em i rake em over the coals.

^ this is true.

the best store experience i've had recently was at 45rpm - genuine (non-pushy-sales) talk about their gear, went and found me the jeans i was after from my incredibly vague description, offer a seat and tea while they ring up the bill, carry your bag to the door.

i hate record store sales associates. when you're younger and looking for acceptance and validation from the world, they are the worst. they sit there with the most obvious i'm better than you and so is my music taste and outlook on life look on there face. and you keep buying and searching hoping that the next time you bring up an album, they'll be like, "oh man that's a great choice" but they never do, cunts.

^ this is true.

the best store experience i've had recently was at 45rpm - genuine (non-pushy-sales) talk about their gear, went and found me the jeans i was after from my incredibly vague description, offer a seat and tea while they ring up the bill, carry your bag to the door.

i only found this way of treatment with japanese labels tho. never, ever outside of japan. i prefer to be left alone in a store too, and just like to be greeted.

really depends on what kind of store. most of the boutiques i go to regularly they recognize me, have a good idea of what i'm looking for already, and they're pretty helpful. at bigger chain stores and shit i'd prefer to be left alone entirely.

This is interesting because the boutiques I frequent are obviously smaller than most chain retail stores - i can pretty much browse or look for what I want without help or input from a sales associate (not that they don't recognize me at some of these stores or that i wouldn't end up having a casual conversation with an employee) But if I'm dragging myself to a big shitty box store that's 5 blocks long or I have to go to home depot or something I'd really appreciate it if one of those greeters asked me what I was looking for right off the bat and showed me directly where it is - I hate wandering around those big ass stores.

I definitely would rather be left alone. A greeting when I come in the store is great, but I absolutely hate when employees follow you around and stand over your shoulder. It makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm trying to look at a certain piece. Often times I feel that people do this just because their manager is watching them and they feel they have to look like they are really trying to be helpful.

Honesty. I like sales assistants who are more concerned with pleasing you then making a commission. The worst is when your unsure if something looks good and or if theres anything better in the store and the sa just stands there staring off into space. The "Thats a good option, but let me just bring out this one other piece that may be a bit slimmer" etc points of suggestion are so much more helpful.

I definitely would rather be left alone. A greeting when I come in the store is great, but I absolutely hate when employees follow you around and stand over your shoulder. It makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm trying to look at a certain piece. Often times I feel that people do this just because their manager is watching them and they feel they have to look like they are really trying to be helpful.

i straight out tell them to stop looking over my shoulder.

Yah, I work in retail and I've adopted the:

1) greet customer when they enter with hello or hi

2) depending on their response either: tell them that if they need help just ask, or if they seem cold or on a mission i might not say anything past that

3) if, after a while, they look lost or confused, i'll ask them if they are still doing okay

It's weird because I hate the people in retail who suggested totally unrelated shit like someone else mentioned. Just think about if you were the customer, you'd find it annoying/stupid/off putting.

I agree though, it totally depends on the store. +1 on holt renfrew, that shit is the worst. associates are so pushy and often have no idea what they are talking about.

Like:

* Remembers what I buy and my size, makes good recommendations.

* Calls me to let me know of new stuff or sales.

* Will put stuff aside for me.

* Gives me an extra 10% off prices, just because.

* Happily shows me through the store, if I've never been in before.

* Is not a douche.

should

-not be a condescending jerk, just cause im young doesnt mean i dont know what i want to buy

-helpful with tracking down sizes/styles

-doesn't try to help dress me, i appreciate the help but i don't really like people to touch me :(

-calls when new stuff is in

-not pushy, doesnt follow you around

-doens't withhold sale info

i try to use the same sales assistants most of the time-i have like three that i love and am loyal too, but one just got fired

most of the staff at barneys in dallas, at least in the womens department are really really really cool: we allegedly have the best barneys and i think thats why

I haven't purchased any clothing (besides socks & underwear) in a brick and mortar store in like 5 years, but I will stop in to a new boutique in town now and again and I can't stand it when the sales clerk (or the owner in many cases) says hi, I look around for 5-10 minutes and they are just on the computer playing a game and say bye. Maybe it is just the business person in me, but if I had that kind of overhead I would be at least striking up some kind of conversation with someone who dresses halfway decently; especially in a place like Omaha.

one of my favorite clerks is from second chance antiques in omaha nebraska, he always remembers me even though i only come when i'm visiting my parents around the holidays. always knows my taste and cuts deals.

but, in new york city, i like being pleasantly surprised by people, this has happened at both seven and bess and other places multiple times, my first reaction is they are going to be uptight and snobbish, but they come through as genuine and kind.

i've been in retail for a while mostly at very good places.

although i mainly do management and visuals i do find myself conversing with customers more often than not. my method is to read somebody of something i can drop knowledge on to gain their respect then speak with them on the real to not come off as trying to take their money. then when i got em i rake em over the coals.

i actually dislike when people try to do this, it's usually pretty obvious and comes off as really patronizing. sort of like the way you've constructed your post to position yourself as an expert.

sales people that acknowledge you and help when asked..unless there's some way you could sincerely strike up a conversation with me I'd probably buy more if you'd just leave me alone.

as a sales associate I try and do the same..there are assholes though that give you the automatic response of "just looking" when I say hi. that's it..HI..or good morning/afternoon.. not what are you looking for miss or what can I help you with..LISTEN JERK

so my response is, "no problem, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, my name is --------, let me know when you need help"

Biggest bet peeves are SAs who do the "completely unrelated shit" thing, as described earlier. Another aspect is of that is SAs who bring you a boat-load of shit when you're trying something on in a dressing room: oh, this shirt/scarf/sweater/hat/gun/rubber dildo would look GREAT with those jeans!

I also hate when SAs spout some fake "brand knowledge" bullshit that they read off either the garment tag or the label's website and act like they're "really schooling you on this fashion stuff." Way back when I was over at the store trying to fix the point of sale system and this late-30ish, well-off woman waltzes into the store, obviously on a mission, and picks up this Gilded Age (remember them? haha) cashmere sweater that had a crazy discount on it. The SA in the store was talking with the woman and he said very matter-of-factly that the sweater was a terrific buy because it was made from "the finest cashmere in the world." She stopped and immediately asked if it was from such-and-such place in like, Scotland or wherever, because the specific type of goat there produces the best cashmere. She obviously was an expert. SA was dumbfounded and had to admit he didn't know while she went on to try it on. When she came out she noted that the cashmere came from like india or something and was "still good, but not the best." Owned. She bought the sweater, but still, pretty funny.

Usually when I'm at store I'm there for a specific piece so really, SA irritations are not that big a deal, and I try to keep in mind that a lot of times SAs behavior is the result of mandates from management.

in malaysia, all the sales assistants follow you around wherever you go. it's fucking annoying. some even try to show you every single thing at the store like i really wanna buy them.

but yea i think the best thing to do is to greet the customer, and tell him/ her that you'd be around to help with anything if needed, and dont follow the customer.

i was on the phone with a friend when i was shopping and this assistant still followed me.

i hate record store sales associates. when you're younger and looking for acceptance and validation from the world, they are the worst. they sit there with the most obvious i'm better than you and so is my music taste and outlook on life look on there face. and you keep buying and searching hoping that the next time you bring up an album, they'll be like, "oh man that's a great choice" but they never do, cunts.

stop going to rotate this.