home-made jeans

rodeo bill

@reallypeacedoff good advice! Was kinda wondering if I should consider an alternative fabric and to hear that pros suggest the same thing makes me think I oughta. 

Took @reallypeacedoff's advice and got some canvas instead of muslin. Was only a couple bucks more per yard than muslin at Joann's so it was a no brainer, and I have enough canvas left to make a real pair of jeans before I use my fancy denim. 

Modified the pattern I copied off a pair of levis. Gave them about 10" in the hem vs the levis' 8.5" or whatever it was. Really enjoyed patterning though, and it was a lot simpler than I had anticipated to make the changes. 

Stitched up a muslin (feels silly calling it that since I didn't use muslin) and used it as a chance to practice felled seams too. Made a few mistakes with orientation for the felled seams, but I think that's in part due to this canvas not having a clear right or wrong side lol.

Real happy with the fit though. It's pretty much precisely what I want, so I don't have to go and modify the patterns.

I realized that I need to get an edge guide though. Since this was a muslin I just marked the seam allowance with sharpie, but that's not gonna fly on the real thing.

Till next time!

20240127_141157.jpg

20240127_164154.jpg

20240127_164159.jpg

20240127_171146.jpg

20240127_171205.jpg

20240127_171024.jpg

My nana gave me this serger a few years ago when she had to downsize her sewing setup. Finally trying it out for the first time, turns out they're less daunting than they seem. Feel like I'm in a good spot now to knock out this prototype pair.

Cut the pieces last night, hopefully next week I can start whipping things together. 

20240201_190925.jpg

20240131_204803.jpg

Edited by rbeck

On 1/28/2024 at 12:32 PM, rbeck said:

Stitched up a muslin (feels silly calling it that since I didn't use muslin) and used it as a cha

Toile is the word you need.

I get my students to use calico first to get a basic idea of fit then adjust to a cheap fabric similar to what they are designing toward then some partial toiles on their real fabric if needed. More skilled students go straight to cheap similar fabric. This is them drafting a basic body block then adapting and adjusting it to interpret whatever they have designed. One year I got them all to design, draft and make their version of 5 pocket jeans... never again. most should have gone to worlds ugliest jeans thread... yuh know miss, like a Bratz doll vibe. 

Also Seam guide.. your machine will have lines on it off to the side of the foot your eyes should be watching the cut edges lined up them, should be spaced out in 5mm or 1/4 inches depending on machine.... Or get so taylors chalk to draw guide lines in.

Edited by tg76

@tg76 my machine doe not have the seam allowance guide lines, but I know I can get one if I want. Ended up getting a magnetic edge guide, but for the felled seams I am probably gonna mark them with chalk. 

Spent a few hours behind the machine yesterday on the practice pants. Learned a couple things from the first time I did some felled seams, so this time went smoother, though I had to fiddle with the tension a bit. Yoke seams came out kinda wonky, but not too bad.

Front pockets were a lot of fun to do because of all the steps, and after the first one I breezed right through the second one. Ignore the fact that I forgot to stitch the top seam of the coin pocket. Got too excited and didn't care enough to redo it since these are for practice. Planning on using the same pocket bag fabric on the real pair too. 

20240206_190143.jpg

20240206_195141.jpg

20240206_211148.jpg

20240206_211131.jpg

Looks like a pair of jeans now. Waiting on buttons and rivets, but finally able to try them on for real. Little tight in the thighs so I need to add some room there but otherwise pleased. 

Had a hell of a time on the crotch seam. It kept confusing me and I ended up having to redo it a few times which is why it looks like shit. 

20240208_190659.jpg

20240208_190709.jpg

20240208_220023.jpg

20240208_220019.jpg

Cut my denim up the other day. Spent last night sewing front pockets, yoke seams, back rise seam, and back pockets. 

Had a lot of fun on the back pockets. My first name is Ryan, so I did a lowercase R for the arcs. Also made a tab outta the same fabric I used for the pocket bags which I think looks sharp. 

Compensating feet are a game changer. They make it so even a novice garment maker like myself can get professional looking seams. Only wish I could find low shank ones that are wider than 6mm. I used a 3mm one for several seams last night though and it was a dream. 

Thanks for looking!

Oh also, the test pair has belt loops and a hem now too, just needs buttons and rivets and they'll be wearable. 

20240215_203800.jpg

20240215_213741.jpg

20240215_213816.jpg

20240215_223541.jpg

20240215_223548.jpg

20240215_233828.jpg

20240215_234151.jpg

Edited by rbeck

Yesterday I:

- assembled fly pieces

- attached crotch seam (much more cleanly than the last time I might add)

- attached front and back together

Test fit is perfect too. Added some ease for my thighs and it was a good choice. Also really like how the green serged edges look. 

20240218_093259.jpg

20240218_093315.jpg

20240218_093333.jpg

20240218_093347.jpg

20240218_093404.jpg

Hope you all aren't sick of me yet lol. 

Stayed up past my bedtime last night finishing up all the sewing (other than the patch, waiting on that material to ship from an etsy seller). Tried doing rivets and buttons on the practice pair but was having trouble with those. Not gonna put any of those parts on this pair till I know I can do it cleanly. 

The waistband was the trickiest part. Was advised not to put interfacing inside so that it can stay pliable, but that made it harder to keep everything straight. After a couple unsuccessful attempts where the needle failed to catch the inside seam I ended up sewing down the inside seam allowance to the inside of the jeans and then pinned along the length of the waistband down the middle to keep the needle from missing the inside seam. Worked alright once I decided to just use the handwheel all the way around. Not ideal but it looks way cleaner than any attempt I made with the foot pedal. This was the only time I really got frustrated during the process, so not so bad in the grand scheme. 

Decided to do tucked belt loops because I love that detail on my Left Field pairs. Gives me something to put my keys on that won't pull the top of the waistband down. Next time I make a pair I will get a zigzag machine so I can do bartacks. Thought about hacking em with the buttonholer, but decided not to since the buttonholer foot wouldn't hold much fabric on the belt loops, so slippage might have occurred. 

20240219_083327.jpg

20240219_083300.jpg

20240219_083245.jpg

20240219_083315.jpg

20240219_083233.jpg

Edited by rbeck

28 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

Awesome job!

I'm interested in how you will get the buttons and rivets on there.

Thanks!

The etsy seller I bought the rivets and buttons from had a guide that showed how to use some stuff you can get at any hardware store, but I don't love the results on the practice pair so I may break down and look for a press or even just the right hand tools for the job. 

Edited by rbeck

Realized that there's water soluble double sided tape that would have helped me out big time last night with lining up the waistband. But it's good enough for a personal pair, and I'm still proud of my work this far. 

Thanks! I'm very pleased with myself. It's been hard not wearing them now that they're done aside from the patch but I am forcing myself to wait lol

They're done. Thanks for looking everyone. 

20240302_075307.jpg