home-made jeans

rodeo bill

A bit of evo on my first denim shirt made from 10oz. black warp denim.

It has about 2 months effective wear on it with 2 soaks and 1 machine wash. I’ve worn this fairly hard while camping, hiking and working. Shortly after the first post I added the triangular finishing piece to clean up the collar.

This project taught me a great deal about denim garment construction and helped me come up with the techniques needed to build a much stronger shirt, my latest design for the Eastern. That said, I’ve come to love the flaws including the hole in the left shoulder. Overall, I’m pleased with how much this black denim has faded and the way this shirt has evolved.

FULL ALBUM

uJbXOPy.jpg

RbiZwp6.jpg

Any possibility of doing a run of this shirt? I like the pocket used in this one more, as well as the black selvedge. 

Any possibility of doing a run of this shirt? I like the pocket used in this one more, as well as the black selvedge. 

I have considered it. A few people have expressed interest. Keep your eyes peeled.

• 4 weeks later...

Really great work everyone!

Quick patterning question if anyone can help out:

I'm running into a problem where there is a 'V' at the top of the side seam where the front and back meets at the waistband, making it difficult to sew on the waistband (see the circled area in the rudimentary drawing below). I'm guessing this is because the top of my pattern pieces are straight and not curved. My question is: do I need to curve the top of the front pattern, the back yolk, or both to smooth out that angle?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thank you & happy sewing

Really great work everyone!

Quick patterning question if anyone can help out:

I'm running into a problem where there is a 'V' at the top of the side seam where the front and back meets at the waistband, making it difficult to sew on the waistband (see the circled area in the rudimentary drawing below). I'm guessing this is because the top of my pattern pieces are straight and not curved. My question is: do I need to curve the top of the front pattern, the back yolk, or both to smooth out that angle?

Thank you & happy sewing

You are correct, ideally both the front and back.

If the denim you are working with is forgiving enough you may be able to stretch a curve out by steam ironing.  

You are correct, ideally both the front and back.

If the denim you are working with is forgiving enough you may be able to stretch a curve out by steam ironing.  

Great, I'll just take a curved ruler and smooth that out. Thanks!

That handwoven denim is incredible, by the way.

^^good advice from NTSF, but I'd also just add- unless you're going for a very sloped waistband then an easy rule is to make sure that the angle at the corner of each piece is a right angle (90º), so that when the vertical sides are sewn together, the horizontal sides are level and flat. Depending on how you want to cut it you can curve into the 90º or go straight at it, but as long as the corners are square at the points you won't go wrong.

Typing that made me confused, but I hope it makes some sense!

Since we're on the topic of patterns I thought I'd share a video I recently found on adapting patterns for the poker straight outseam of selvedge denim jeans.  I'm sure other techniques might work, but this looks dead simple.

Also some there's some patterns here that are specifically drafted around the use of selvedge denim (use Google translation): http://www.witz-int.com/fullofpatterns/mens/FOP07/FOP07.html

Here's some helpful tips on how to buy the the above website: http://verypurpleperson.com/2014/10/how-to-buy-from-full-of-patterns-website/

Thanks! I need to have them hemmed coz am not used to cuffs or stacks, unfortunately we don't have (or am not aware of) chainstitching here in our country.  I find the lockstitch done by the tailor a bit "loose", so there's no other option but to do it by hand so now they are "firm" as I want them to be.  @nutusufu is right, this requires a hell lot of patience, I was about to give up halfway the first leg BUT the damn chainstitch is very difficult to unravel :D ...continuing would be best at that stage so as not to damage the fabric.  Well worth the time and effort I guess. :)

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on the toyota super jeans sewing machines?

I want to get back into sewing (did a bit oft back in school). My budget is about £150 and would like to do some canvas bags/ wrist watch roles/ other denim item (e.gl shirts).

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

For the love of denim, made my own watch strap from an LVC cutoff.  Not perfect stitching, but this was done by hand.  Opted for a chainstitch rather than a backstitch for durability (NOT roping haha).  Nevermind the watch itself, nothing fancy :D

13567487_10210090822293097_1771928496505

13567414_10210090822533103_8192710911536

13592590_10210090822333098_146477920037313627251_10210090822653106_8021124000806

• 2 years later...

Hello everybody, just a short introduction as it is my first post on the forum, though I've been lurking here for some years
I am French, from paris, sewing and making jeans as a hobby since 2005. Keen on denim, fashion, and the industries behind.

I followed this topic for years during my studies and loved it.

Here is first contribution, last jeans I made, for me, in Kuroki organic denim.

Machines I used :

• 35800 : lap seams
  • Juki DDL-8700 : single needle lockstich
  • Bernina 950D : polyvalent, mainly for bar-tacking and straight buttonhole
  • Brother EF4 : for overlocking

IMG_20181118_1749031.jpg

IMG_20181118_1749116.jpg

IMG_20181118_1749541.jpg

IMG_20181118_1751299.jpg

IMG_20181118_1752180.jpg

IMG-20181118-WA0004.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice -- I especially like the belt loop arrangement. I know it's not historically correct but moving the loops to either side of the center seam makes for a cleaner line when wearing a belt, avoids the uncomfortable bulge and reduces stress on the center loop.

Although Calvin Klein might sue you for those arcs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Old thread but wanted to document my process somewhere. I've got a habit of convincing myself I can make my own version of just about everything I'm into, so my project this year is to learn how to make jeans. 

It's been a while since I've rocked some black raws, so I decided to opt for some black denim. Found this Nihon Menpu black denim with a charcoal weft that spoke to me, so I ordered some. Need to get some muslin still to practice on for obvious reasons. 

Disassembled some Levis that fit me well in the top block, so that's gonna be my starting point. Going to add extra knee and hem width, thinking ~10" in the hem width for some real wide legs. 

Excited to get going on this and share my progress with you all!

20240123_172405.jpg

20240114_191546.jpg

19 hours ago, rbeck said:

It's been a while since I've rocked some black raws, so I decided to opt for some black denim. Found this Nihon Menpu black denim with a charcoal weft that spoke to me, so I ordered some. Need to get some muslin still to practice on for obvious reasons. 

Hell yeah!

No need to take my advice—since it's hearsay—but I was recently talking to one of the repairers at the Nudie shop in LA about wanting to make my own jeans at some point. He used to do sewing and cutting for some big brands, and he recommended not using muslin since it's a completely different material to using denim and, more specifically, heavier denim. He recommends buying some cheap 8oz denim, practicing with that, fine-tuning your pattern from that, and then start using more pricey denim once you are confident.

Excited to see how you go, in fact, living vicariously through you.