home-made jeans

rodeo bill

Attach the yokes and align the two back panels together, wrong sides facing each other and with the left side towards your needle. Top stitch 5/8"-3/4" from the edge. Trim half of the seam allowance from the right panel. Fold the left seam allowance over and under the left seam allowance and top stitch 1/8" from the edge. This is how you do a hand felled seam. It's the same technique used when adding yokes, combining backs and sewing the inseam.

Edited by Canada_Steve

Looks better than my first sewing projects many years ago! Check out some sewing & tailoring books from your local library and practice techniques. Sewing is a skill that takes many years to develop. I've been sewing professionally for several years and I still feel as though I know very little. Keep at it and you'll continue to improve!

Here's a pair of cinch back jeans that I made as a custom order. They are made from 13 oz. Cone Mills denim. The customer wanted a pair of jeans with a long rise, wide legs, rounded back pockets and triple stitched seams. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out!

405457860.jpg

405457858.jpg

Tweedi, I would highly recommend the book Making Trousers for Men & Women by David Page Coffin. Make a pair of pants following the guidelines in the book just to get a better understanding of how pants go together. It looks like you're on the right track and your work is definitely getting better. I've always found sewing books to be helpful when learning new techniques. Have fun!

sorry if this is a repeated question...but where do you guys get your fabrics? i plan on making a pair in the near future.. chino's and denim.

and any pointers would be awesome too

Edited by mistahdabolina

i remember reading somewhere people say to make your jeans out of another material first before denim to see how they fit and make adjustments accordingly. whats that material again? lol it seemed to have slipped my mind

i remember recently seeing a thread where some group of people went to make their own jeans? dont remember which company they were

edit: muslin, got it lol

Edited by TooAwesome

i remember reading somewhere people say to make your jeans out of another material first before denim to see how they fit and make adjustments accordingly. whats that material again? lol it seemed to have slipped my mind

i remember recently seeing a thread where some group of people went to make their own jeans? dont remember which company they were

edit: muslin, got it lol

I believe Detroit Denim held a workshop a few months back. Maybe Holy Stitch as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully a quick question for those in the know about making jeans. I recently tried a pair that I was very excited about, but have found that the cut doesn't leave room for my anatomy when sitting. What dimension should I look to changing to remedy this? Longer rise? Looser thigh? Any input would be appreciated, and I figured, who better to ask than those that make clothing for themselves.

is it possible to make a pair of jeans with one machine that can do all the stitches?

i know some stitches arent requires but are nice to have. so is there a machine that can do top stitching, surging, lock stitches, button holes, bar tacking, chain stitch? any stitches im missing?

is it possible to make a pair of jeans with one machine that can do all the stitches?

i know some stitches arent requires but are nice to have. so is there a machine that can do top stitching, surging, lock stitches, button holes, bar tacking, chain stitch? any stitches im missing?

No, there is no machine like that. Some domestic machines can do many of those stitches, however you will not get satisfactory results sewing denim with a domestic. Get a good older industrial straight stitch like a Singer 31-15. As for serging you really need an industrial overlock for the denim, there really isn't an alternative.

Thanks

so the minimum would be 3 machines? a straight stitch, a serger, and a chainstitch? how much do they usually run for?

if i were to practice/learn, would a straight stitch machine be good for now?

I wouldn't recommend buying three industrial machines with no sewing experience under your belt. Aside from learning to sew there is learning to pattern and all of the other tasks related to constructing a garment. Buy a basic sewing machine, preferably something older as the economy Walmart machines are junk and will cost you endless frustration. Get yourself a copy of the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing and basic shirt pattern. Start small... make a shirt, find out if you even enjoy sewing.

Hi guys. Good work everyone, this is one of my favorite threads! That is a good book Jerrylee, they actually issue that to students at fashion school, I lost mine though. Quite a few people ask me about sewing machines, if you are just starting out or want to do some repairs I can recommend a Bernina Minimatic, or I think they are also called Bernina 830's or 807 etc, they come in a red plasic carry case. They are quite expensive now when I see them on auction sites, but you can still pick them up for cheap. The are around 70's I think, steel body and made in Switzerland. When I first started sewing I destroyed a few plastic body machines, but these little Bernina's are awesome, I made whole pairs of jeans using one. Cool dudes, keep up the good work.

258081269.jpg