supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

• 4 weeks later...

my studio ended for the semester 

genuinely kind of unsure how to handle the sheer amount of free time I have now.

Have a few end-of-semester parties lined up, sure, but not having to constantly work is a pretty fucking crazy change of pace

After a lot of indecision and stress I decided to change my major from physics to architectural engineering.  Had to apply for a transfer to a different school since my current university doesn't have an arch engineering major.  Luckily I got accepted and received a decent chunk of change in academic scholarships which makes it actually financially feasible for me to attend, now all thats left is finishing up this semester and surviving my econ final.  

Also this new college is in a decently large city and I grew up in bumfuck nowhere so its going to be a really different experience for me. Still I'm happy that things are working out for once. 

Edited by Schoon

Do most people who go through those programs get P.E. or S.E. licenses?

Depends on what track they take.  The school offers HVAC, structural or digital building concentrations, I think i'm leaning more towards structural but I don't want to decide for sure until I learn more about the subject.  

my studio ended for the semester 

genuinely kind of unsure how to handle the sheer amount of free time I have now.

Have a few end-of-semester parties lined up, sure, but not having to constantly work is a pretty fucking crazy change of pace

are you in architecture?

Edited by Mackness

i'm starting my first semester this spring at ACC. going to community college to complete core classes / get an associates and then moving on to (ideally) UT for bachelors. 

considering studying journalism at ACC for the associates, applying for a study abroad course before i finish it, and when i do finish move back to beijing and get a certificate in mandarin from BLCU. 

sensible first steps? just asking for some advice... no idea what it is i want to major in or do with my life. is there a more practical associates i should land at ACC that will do more for me? i already speak mandarin decently well and i want to finally get fluent enough to utilize in a career setting.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved in to my suite-style dorm at my new college in philly yesterday, first thing i see is dirty dishes/cooking utensils everywhere.  There's 5 other guys living in the suite with me, 2 of them exchange students. i've only met one so far (the one that's in the same room as me) and he's pretty cool. I asked him about the dirty dishes and he said they don't clean up after the exchange students anymore who apparently don't give a shit about cleanliness or manners and are horrible roommates.  luckily my roommate and I have our own bathroom w/ shower attached to our bedroom so we're going to keep it clean and ignore the rest of the suite unless it becomes too rancid to bear.  

He also told me that the exchange student from nigeria likes to go through his shit and the other exchange student gets high all the time and steals his food. Should be an interesting quarter

Edited by Schoon

My classes start this morning and Im beginning to panic that I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  i got 6 classes today in rooms that I don't know the location of with barely any breaks for food, plus I don't know where the dining hall is either.  My orientation was cancelled due to snow so I don't know where many of the administrative buildings are either.  Im pretty sure that the panic will go away as I slowly learn where things are/meet people, but for now Im feeling the sting of being underprepared

6 classes in day? I'm taking 7 classes total this semester; that seems intense, especially for your first semester in school. 

Yeah its a big workload but they're all related (math/engineering/physics) which makes it somewhat easier to handle.  

Update: things went better than I expected.  Most of my profs are great people and kids in the class actually seem interested in learning and collaborating (as opposed to my previous college) which fosters a great environment.  I'm really starting to love the city too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its a big workload but they're all related (math/engineering/physics) which makes it somewhat easier to handle.  

Update: things went better than I expected.  Most of my profs are great people and kids in the class actually seem interested in learning and collaborating (as opposed to my previous college) which fosters a great environment.  I'm really starting to love the city too.

Philly is like the perfect student city. Cheap, tons of events, inner core is pretty small and dense, good food, bars, shows, and a quick bus ride to either DC or NY if you want to get away for a daytrip or the weekend. Enjoy.

What degree you going for? I made the switch from business management to software development at just about the last minute and so glad I did, even if it means I'm now basically a math major and have to take like 6 additional maths.