supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

so its safe to bet it all goes downhill from here?

the loans, the changing healthcare field, the united states

yeah, but you could open up a private practice after residency. you put in a lot of work for that degree, so might as well be your own boss.

On that note, my data structures class is frustrating because the prof is forcing us to learn C++ while learning about data structures and I feel like we should be focusing on more abstract things rather than learning a new language. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn C++ but it's annoying knowing how to do something but not the right syntax to do it.

I just gotta make the best out of this tho.

That's how my data structures class was too... I had some C knowledge from a previous class so it wasn't too big a jump. Biggest difference was getting adjusted to the object-oriented style. 

documentary follows lives of 7 doctors over 21 years, from the time they start studying at Harvard Medical School to the time they're in their late 40s - early 50s. 4/7 went through multiple divorces due to work schedule, one married a stay-at-home mom and was able to keep his marriage in once piece. one (female, african american) never got married and spent all her time working - quit her pediatrics gig around 40 and started a charity helping urban poor. 

all 7 doctors went from super enthusiastic / naive about medicine to apathetic about treating patients. one did not receive a contract renewal (emergency meds) because he spent too much time per patient and the hospital higher-ups deemed him inefficient. at the end of his "old-age segment", he was in his 4th marriage & flying overseas to look for a new job. and this is a harvard medical school graduate... crazy, eh?

if you can make time, please watch the vid... changed my whole view on the healthcare field and I'm no longer applying to med school because of the documentary. 

Edited by rosarkar

please watch the vid... changed my whole view on the healthcare field and I'm no longer applying to med school because of the documentary. 

this gets passed around a lot, among the same impressionable pre-meds who structure their entire lives around received opinion.

the doc's message is basic. medicine causes burnout, it ruins your personal life, you don't accomplish anything, you lose your ability to empathize, and, in the end, you don't have any passion for the field whatsoever. you just keep busting your balls for something you don't believe in.

it's all the same garbage.

you don't have to work long hours, you don't have to work for hospitals, and you don't need to risk your personal life for your job. if you need me to tell you how to avoid all of this, then you need to do your homework.

i think you can make it. don't let pbs tell you that you won't.

Edited by Lab

"you think this job sucks? no. if you don't give a shit about coming home with lights on and warm dinner waiting for you, you can make a decent living by only working 6 months a year. With that said, I'll be out for the next 6 months traveling south america. First stop? Alpaca farm in the Andes."

kinda changed my perspective on life

A bit off-topic vs. the technical talk as of late but I'm so grateful for the library/ies here.  Such great stuff

I was looking on the UCB library search engines for an ebook version of this textbook my prof recommends we read for this class and it's available at main stacks, but I can't go get it :( . I never thought I'd say this, but I really miss that library. The Kresge engineering library has cool study rooms, but I always took naps in between classes in the ones in main stacks.

Also the SUPERB concert line up for Fall is pretty good. Does anyone go to UCI? I heard A$AP Rocky played there the other day.

^don't even mean the facilities themselves since I never really stay in there to study or whatever (and have only been to the CED library).  Our Environmental Design library specifically just has some of the craziest/coolest books (picked up a Sze Tsung Leong photobook, Yohji Yamamoto, Techno Textiles, etc. shit that's all outside the discipline that I would never expect).  

there's a lot of engineering dudes that go into finance. If you're into banking, you don't necessarily need a finance double major to land a job at a bulge bracket, although it wouldn't hurt

My finance professor was an engineering undergrad at MIT

Finance isn't really a hard major. There's a few basic concepts you need to know and once you understand that, literally any major/background can do the job.

I know a guy who majored in engineering, decided to take a finance related internship beginning of his junior year of undergrad, interned at GS the summer after junior year, and now works for one of the largest PE firms (should be in the top 3).

there's a lot of engineering dudes that go into finance. If you're into banking, you don't necessarily need a finance double major to land a job at a bulge bracket, although it wouldn't hurt

My finance professor was an engineering undergrad at MIT

Finance isn't really a hard major. There's a few basic concepts you need to know and once you understand that, literally any major/background can do the job.

I know a guy who majored in engineering, decided to take a finance related internship beginning of his junior year of undergrad, interned at GS the summer after junior year, and now works for one of the largest PE firms (should be in the top 3).

+1. if you're going into traditional finance, your major doesn't mean shit. as long as you have a high gpa+connected/network+and/or at a target, you'll be fine.

communications is a hard field to take seriously (I'd imagine STEM people think it's a total joke)

professor ends up focusing on race and gender by the end of lecture without fail

are the liberal arts in academia always going to end up like this?

Edited by CosmicAsininity

communications is a hard field to take seriously (I'd imagine STEM people think it's a total joke)

professor ends up focusing on race and gender by the end of lecture without fail

are the liberal arts in academia always going to end up like this?

it's all perspective. i shit on comm majors as a stats major, but i'm sure pure math majors shit on me.

that's not even the case these days as there are MBAs taking up analyst positions

i've seen this twice, and i've met/talked to hundreds (literally) of alumni/people in finance (on that hustle grind).

the only way i've EVER seen this happen is if you went to get your MBA right out of college without work experience.

yeah, she plays tennis. she is really good. older brothers continue to live in her shadow haha. thanks, im proud of her!

i like harvard kids in general; nice kids, but they're kind of 'weird.'

if i had to generalize about the kids i know there, it's like a less autistic version of 'the big bang theory'+privileged backgrounds.

Edited by shimshimhae

little sister accepted into Harvard today, undergrad, anyone going/graduate? thoughts/advice?

just dissuade her from going to medical school. that's all.