supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

What exactly is your major and what is it that you want to do after graduation?

me? i'm a linguistics and french double major at uc berkeley, but i'm currently doing a year abroad in france finishing up my french major requirements. the university of lyon is a joke, which is why i want to do some thing productive like get involved in research in their language/linguistics labs. then when i get back home, i intend on going to sjsu to do the computational linguistics certification program, get internships, work, grad school maybe, etcetera etceteraaaaaaa.

Edited by samsikle

nah, i was just trying to gauge how important his gpa was to him.

i.e. if failure (as in anything under an A-) is not an option

Different strategies for different students

my tips are anecdotal and for overzealous students who strive for 3.8+

cosmicinsanity, the Bistro at The Village is only okay. What classes are you taking? And lol the fashion society is a joke.

mus2a, mus2a-k, comm10 (lol), cat1, dept. seminar, and I just set up a meeting with Professor Borgo about lessons.

And yeah I was getting that vibe about the fashion club.  Might as well check it out tho.  And I'd like to check the Bistro out eventually, but it's hard to live off JUST the 13 bucks that we're allotted per day - the prices are all wayyy too inflated.  I'd imagine it's because the HDH is bureaucratic and bloated af?

s/o to the guy I talked to in visvim fbts today!  found out he browsed superfuture and asked if he was tacotron lol

meeting with the dept. head for music went well.  The music dept. here is very grad-oriented but I'll be okay if I keep seeking out opportunities on my own.

Edited by CosmicAsininity

nah, i was just trying to gauge how important his gpa was to him.

i.e. if failure (as in anything under an A-) is not an option

Different strategies for different students

my tips are anecdotal and for overzealous students who strive for 3.8+

Herp you still in med school (ps haven't talked to you in years)? I'm graduating this year. Sold my soul and doing investment banking.in the city.

I pitched a game idea to the game dev club at my college and they really liked it, so now I'm the leader of the project even though I can't program for shit.  A ton of people volunteered to work on my game so now I have to narrow down my programmers to 2 from about 9 which is difficult since I don't know anything about programming to base my decision off of.  I got in touch with a really good pixel artist though.  Not sure if we can finish the demo by the deadline (Nov 1) since I haven't even chosen my team yet.  

Try narrowing it down based on the overall enthusiasm and attitude of your programmers. People volunteered so obviously they have some sort of confidence that they can program your game, they're probably thinking about all of the logic and algorithms right now.

On that note, my data structures class is frustrating because the prof is forcing us to learn C++ while learning about data structures and I feel like we should be focusing on more abstract things rather than learning a new language. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn C++ but it's annoying knowing how to do something but not the right syntax to do it.

I just gotta make the best out of this tho.

Herp you still in med school (ps haven't talked to you in years)? I'm graduating this year. Sold my soul and doing investment banking.in the city.

LEL

Edited by herpsky

Are you graduating from undergrad? It's been a while. I vaguely recall that you went to the same undergrad as I did, yeah?

All my classmates from college, at least the ones who went to the B-school, are super successful (well, I suppose the term is very subjective and I'm referring to just wealth and life stability). 

I'm finally done with school and thought I'd be done with this 10-year moratorium but I feel like I still haven't gotten out of it. 

I totally fucked up several years ago and it's been really difficult to move on to the next step.

I was dating a CWG for a month or so. She kept asking me about my past "stories" and memories. I told her I don't remember much except the partying, traveling, and some cool people I met mostly outside of school. I thought I was fairly normal but she pointed out that I've been repressing my memory. I think it has a lot to do with the difficulties I have faced as an immigrant and there hasn't been a moment in my life that I really want to relive or return to. I think a lot of people in my profession agree that we all live everyday hoping that the next day will get better (and it does). 

I think you made a pretty wise decision though a lot of OG finance bros recommend against it. 

Law and med school are a pretty good options if you don't really know what to do with your life but you aspire to contribute to the wellbeing of the society, I guess.

You don't wanna fuck around too much and end up with a really shitty job but forcing yourself to climb to the apex, whether it's for gwop, fame, or just parental pressure, is very stressful. 

I think the famous Japanese proverb, "Heavy work in youth is quiet in old age" is true to a certain extent but doing what you think is cool and making decent gwop is better. 

It's cool to be average. 

ya graduating this year. i transferred out from your alma mater to that ivy in the middle of fucking nowhere with fugly CWG's.

lol i mean i said i sold my soul, but not actually. want to be a hedge fund long-term, and from internships, i think it's exactly what i want to do long-term. banking is just a middle step. gotta put in my dues.

you still in the states or back in asia?

Edited by shimshimhae

I pitched a game idea to the game dev club at my college and they really liked it, so now I'm the leader of the project even though I can't program for shit.  A ton of people volunteered to work on my game so now I have to narrow down my programmers to 2 from about 9 which is difficult since I don't know anything about programming to base my decision off of.  I got in touch with a really good pixel artist though.  Not sure if we can finish the demo by the deadline (Nov 1) since I haven't even chosen my team yet.  

agree with tacotron. go with the ones that are more interested, not necessarily the most talented. they'll put in the time to make it right. the other dudes will get bored/caught up with other stuff and fall out.

My post history is bleak lol, but Herp's post resonates.

I graduated in May and spent the summer in the USA trying to find a finance job, had some close final rounds but no luck. Came back to Canada at the end of August because my visa was expiring and am still on the grind. It's tough shifting gears to another country out of necessity. Trying to network my way into a real estate acq/developer role or infrastructure fund, but it's a slow process and seems like a lot of luck (in that you never know where any one conversation will lead). Very depressing - never imagined moving back home to Atlantic Canada and being unemployed 5 months after graduating from Penn. At the same time, I figure everyone has setbacks in their life one way or another and you can only plan so much, so the only way forward is to keep my head up and keep trying. I miss the US, so hopefully I can find a path that'll let me move back to the US within a year or two.

This probably isn't the right thread, as it's more postsupercollegelife. meh.

Edited by xerrox

I graduated in May and spent the summer in the USA trying to find a finance job, had some close final rounds but no luck. Came back to Canada at the end of August because my visa was expiring and am still on the grind. It's tough shifting gears to another country out of necessity. Trying to network my way into a real estate acq/developer role or infrastructure fund, but it's a slow process and seems like a lot of luck (in that you never know where any one conversation will lead). Very depressing - never imagined moving back home to Atlantic Canada and being unemployed 5 months after graduating from Penn. At the same time, I figure everyone has setbacks in their life one way or another and you can only plan so much, so the only way forward is to keep my head up and keep trying. I miss the US, so hopefully I can find a path that'll let me move back to the US within a year or two.

Penn as in UPenn? Keep trying on bru. I was like unemployed for like 4 months. I know some OG sufu brus who make $$$ now were unemployed for longer. You'll find something, especially because you are still yung.

Edited by herpsky

Good luck, man. Guessing you were Wharton because of the types of jobs you're focusing on. Keep hustling and people will give you a shot (at least they did for me); i genuinely believe people want to help self-starters. Recruiting was a fucking bitch.

not sure how many pre-meds are on sufu but i want to share this.

don't fall into the trap of the non-trad: expensive specialized master's programs (SMPs) and full-time research jobs.

study for the mcat, take the mcat, retake the mcat (if you have to) during college. don't take a year off. if you have a bad science GPA, enroll in courses at the college you already go to. use that loan money to hire a tutor. don't pay more money for an SMP that might not get you into med school. remember that your SMP GPA won't replace your undergrad GPA; it can demonstrate to adcoms that you've improved academically, but they're not going to ignore your undergrad GPA.

full-time research jobs are demanding, and, while not impossible to study during them, it's not worth risking your stats for a job that barely pays you. If you're interested in research, find a mentor through your academic advisor. the professors at your college will understand what your priorities are and will work with you to create a manageable schedule.

it took me a long time to get where i am, and, although i enjoyed my graduate education and research experiences, i'm not sure they were worth the financial stress. i guess real, tangible accomplishments come with some sacrifices.

best of luck to everyone still applying and to people already there. would like to hear from current med students (particularly regarding any tips for non-trads) since i'll be amongst you shortly.

Edited by Lab

for LSAT i recommend 7sage and maybe powerscore/testmasters (either or)

former is really a fancy youtbue channel but good for $$ and self study types