supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

I did a year of architecture, straight out of high school, and hated it. Then I took a year off, and worked full time. Got into SMFA in Boston, and Parsons Paris (on their largest scholarship), but could not afford living expenses. Now I'm in first year art history, in Montreal which was the only thing I could get into when I applied. Next year, I'm likely going to be in first year again, in print media. Maybe I can convince admissions to give me an upper year standing when I show them my portfolio and 4.0 GPA.

It's not so bad, being the older guy, though. I know the system, and I'm more socially confident. The only thing that will suck is that by my second year, all my friends will have graduated.

I'm getting raped by this industrial organization/antitrust econ class that I've got no business taking.

I'm gonna drop this shit.

Also planning on going to school in the summer. I'm both stoked and kind of depressed about that to be honest.

Industrial Organization is my favorite shit. Holleur at me if you stick it out and need help.

I'm in my last quarter at uni as an undergrad and I feel pretty indifferent about it. Only thing is, is that I feel slightly slighted that I didn't get to enjoy "college life" to as full of as an extent as others as I had a pretty rocky start. My freshman year I spent a year at pre-pharm school when I quickly realized that wouldn't work out, so I transferred over to a community college and spent a year there before I finally transferred out and got into UCD.

And now after only 1 year and 2 quarters I've basically graduated (not even 2 quarters though because I'm only taking the 8 units I need to graduate this quarter), just when I've finally gotten into the groove of things (like living on my own, making friends, balancing work with fun, having a girlfriend, etc.). So I dunno. I sort of regret graduating a tad early and finishing up everything so quickly, but then again, I want to move forward with my life and find a job or pursue my Master's.

Edited by JD.Salinger

quarters? i've heard of some schools doing trimesters but never quarters. anyway, there are many different aspects to what "college life" is but i kind of think there's too much pressure on students to enjoy them or make the most of them. college can be great, but i think once people graduate they have a tendency to look back on it as some golden time of pure bliss and that's not completely true. even though i know i'll miss parts of college life like having a liberal schedule, i'm ready to move on. it will be good to have more structure in my life (assuming i find a decent job). i'm extremely busy with school and interning anyway so i'll probably have as much or more free time once i'm done. i'll leave it at that before writing a huge essay. asap ferg time need to put in work

Edited by wurm

Yeah all the universities in the University of California system go by quarters (barring Berkeley), though you may as well consider them as trimester since there are only Fall, Winter and Spring quarters.

And I guess you're putting "college life" in quotes to signify things like partying and going to the bars and just having the time of your life, right? If that's the case, then I agree with you, in the sense that I had about a year of that and I've had more than my fill of it. It really isn't my thing, and though I've met some great people through it, I don't really feel like I would need more of it, nor would I reminisce about it in the future.

For me, the problem is more that I may miss the whole bubble/niche sort of experience you get in a college. I go to UC Davis, so it's very much so a college town. I only ever see college aged people around and the whole city has a pleasant, warm vibe to it. But it's definitely a place that I feel only exists to serve collegiate purposes, and I would never want to actually live here. It's strictly a college town.

Adding to this, is the fact that I'm not 100% certain on what I'll be doing in the near future. I haven't landed a solid job and if I can't land one that pays decently/gives me useful experience for the future, I'll probably have to go and pursue my masters.

At least while you're working on your degree, your only expectation is to get good grades, but as soon as you're done, your expectation is to get a job. Nobody wants to be the recent college grad who's still unemployed (even though that's the case for many, including myself probably). I dunno what exactly it is that I'm getting at, I'm just kind of meandering about right now.

Edited by JD.Salinger

studying abroad in london this summer, definitely going to tweet thristian incessantly to get on that boiler room guestlist ha

when you get your name on the boilerroom guestlist always say +1 or like +3 you bring guests with you. i did it when i went to boilerroom detroit

Edited by AYIYI

edit: this is at jd.salinger

yeah i was suggesting the partying aspect of college with that, though it applies to all of college life. i first went to the university of colorado at boulder, which is definitely a college town, and had a fun first semester but just over halfway through it i knew i wanted to transfer and did so after finals. i was happy but realized i wasn't really fulfilled academically and that i highly preferred living in a city. i find (good) college towns to be charming, convenient and usually very beautiful - especially boulder, but i think they're kind of boring after a long period of time. i also like the dirtiness of the city. i've lived my whole life in a big city so i guess i'm just used to it. that said, i nonetheless associate austin (where i go to school now) with college life since that's what i do here and everything near the ut campus revolves around the university. this is part of why i plan on leaving after i'm done. i would have trouble readjusting after graduation and already feel a bit out of place.

i graduate in may and don't know what i'm going to do either. it's definitely kind of scary but i have some money saved up and don't really mind working a lower level job until i can find something better. and i agree on the simplicity of college life. worrying about grades can be stressful but finding a job as a liberal arts graduate will probably be more so. but it will also probably be really exciting to enter a new phase of my life...kind of like it was went i first started college.

Edited by wurm

I did a year of architecture, straight out of high school, and hated it. Then I took a year off, and worked full time. Got into SMFA in Boston, and Parsons Paris (on their largest scholarship), but could not afford living expenses. Now I'm in first year art history, in Montreal which was the only thing I could get into when I applied. Next year, I'm likely going to be in first year again, in print media. Maybe I can convince admissions to give me an upper year standing when I show them my portfolio and 4.0 GPA.

It's not so bad, being the older guy, though. I know the system, and I'm more socially confident. The only thing that will suck is that by my second year, all my friends will have graduated.

Just curious about the print media thing. What does that include specifically? I'm going into my third year of journalism/creative writing and communication and by all means, every lecturer and tutor I've had has said that print (barring more niche magazines and publications) is completely dead. Sucks, because that was the area I saw myself in.

Anyone have a class where the teacher doesent allow laptops or any tech for taking notes? This happened in my anthro class this semester, bitch just gg'd me.

Luddite ass professor, its 2013 like cmon son.

I've heard of studies that say that when you take notes by hand you tend to remember the information better (i.e. it's part of the process of writing notes that helps you remember what's going on) instead of just typing everything you hear and not thinking critically about what you're hearing. Also it's harder to get distracted on a notebook than a wifi-enabled laptop.

what year are you artmajor? i'd say about, if not more than, half the classes i've taken haven't allowed computer use (or it's an unspoken rule). that said, i mostly take small discussion size classes (completely this semester). if i taught i'd probably do the same unless it was a lecture. electronics can be distracting for you, but it's more annoying if you're sitting behind someone not taking notes since it can make it difficult to pay attention. i prefer taking physical notes anyway. i think i process things a bit better that way as i do it.

Im a senior. most of my non art classes have been huge lectures or highschool sized lectures, never had a teacher in one of those say i cant use a laptop. The point about which method is better for learning is subjective i think, i personally always end up doodling in my notebooks, ive never been the best note taker and ill be the first to admit it. Im not gonna front like i dont browse sufu and shit while in class but i dont tend to look at notes much till right before an exam and when their typed it makes it alot easier for me to follow.

The point i was trying to make is that most if not all college students own a laptop or a tablet and they are powerful enough to make a note taking more enriched. Like this teacher talking about pygny elephants and if i could just google them there to satisfy my curiousity about it id be good but nah she got me out here wondering what tiny elephants look like. Honestly i think its a hinderance, amd it seems pretentious to think " well im a doctor so im gonna force them to pay attention to me and only me" like at the end of the day its our own grade and its not only kidswith medical reasons that benefitnfrom computer notes. Idk man,

i'm not going to bother looking for a source but i actually have heard several times now that studies show writing helps people retain knowledge better. maybe it does, maybe not. as you say though, you do other things and while you might not have been paying attention anyway, the people behind you probably were before they started looking at what you were doing (assuming you don't sit in the back row). i've used laptops in class before (and currently use one in an easy class that i don't care much about and where other people can't see my screen) and i won't deny their advantages, but they have obvious drawbacks that turn some professors off. also, if you go to a public university like me, the majority of your college costs are funded by the state so in that sense it's not just your own money. anyway, i can see you disagree and i'm not going to push this any further.

regarding college, i need to quit fucking procrastinating on the internet and revise this paper

this might be a shit you hate or whatever

but fuck the system which makes it necessary for me to waste my time in useless classes in order to get a piece of paper which is supposed to 'prove' that I'm an expert on something-- what sort of expertise is that?

I was trying to minor/2nd major in Marketting/Advertising, but all they're 'teaching' are obvious observations about the dynamics of buying, selling, promoting, etc. prettied up with industry-jargon-- most of which a 15 year old with a job at McDonald's could tell you.

And goddamn it I'm not willing to sit there as a school pays a teacher to tell me what I already know with the money I'M PAYING THE SCHOOL. For chrissake. And whaddup with this bullshit-- you don't have tests to skip classes? Are you serious? This just proves you WANT students to take bullshit classes so you can make more money off them. And, yeah, I went through AP and a few other tests to skip electives/LAS courses, but it ain't enough; still gotta sit through *mostly* uninteresting classes with uninteresting, un-enriching professors.

and then you bastards want to UP my tuition because you've got your head so up your ass you don't understand economics, and that the PRICING isn't the problem ALLLL the time, and maybe you're letting in too many goddamn students who shouldn't be here on too manny goddamn scholarships? Lick my ass

sdfjslkgdnbfkjgbkdjfgbksdfg

yeah, I mad.

Just curious about the print media thing. What does that include specifically? I'm going into my third year of journalism/creative writing and communication and by all means, every lecturer and tutor I've had has said that print (barring more niche magazines and publications) is completely dead. Sucks, because that was the area I saw myself in.

What?! Now they tell me! lol jk. No, I don't mean making newspapers. I'm interested in stencil work, silk screening, half tone, that sort of thing. I used to do photorealism in drawing, but my tastes have changed. I want to pursue a simpler aesthetic and also just broaden my skill set.

Just to chime in after reading the couple last posts.

If you don't enjoy the class you are in, then you might be in the wrong major or worse the wrong school. Then again you want to know what your end goal after college is. If you want to be in the Advertising industry or anything else, you just have to stuck it out and do whatever it takes to get you where you want to be.

In college you have to chase what you want to learn. The facilities are there for you to use and you have the freedom to utilize them or not. Generally Professors like to students who are proactive and passionate about the subject. Be friends with your lecturers (not kissing ass) and ask them about stuff you want to learn. These professors has the potential to be your way to get employed in the future, they always look out for their students.

I just graduated and it took me about 5-6 years to graduate. I went to both community college and 4 years college. It took me until my junior year to realize what I had typed before.

Now go party, type your shitty papers, and have fun! being bummed about your study is part of the learning experience

if he really enjoy advertising/marketing he wouldn't be bitching about how easy his classes were, he'd be searching out internships and opportunities outside his major to pursue his passion.

nah man real life isnt a movie where everyone drops everything and "pursues their passion" alot of people are content to just cruise through school and party and work for minimum wage before looking for internships and pursuing passions

I just graduated and it took me about 5-6 years to graduate. I went to both community college and 4 years college. It took me until my junior year to realize what I had typed before.

Now go party, type your shitty papers, and have fun! being bummed about your study is part of the learning experience

yeah, i just want to add that even though im majoring in the subjects i like, i still have to take classes i don't like (that are still specific for my major). right now i'm in 2 i really don't care for, 2 that i'm maybe mildly interested in, and only 1 i really like. one the worst parts of majoring in something is how many fucking specific courses you have to take now.

like, i would much rather take a magazine editing course than "networked writing" even though both are classified as rhetoric courses. (networked writing means studying written/online communication in the most boring, in depth ways). i've taken the professor for the magazine class before, and he's one of the best i've had. the one in the class i'm in tries, and isn't terrible, but definitely not great (maybe anyone would have trouble with this subject but he claims to be passionate about it). i know that the magazine class would have been far more interesting, i would have probably learned more in general, and i know i would have learned more about stuff that interests me....but to graduate i needed "networked writing" (there were other equivalent course options that are different but they were all similar, and seemed shitty).

obviously, there should be specific course requirements for degrees (and of course a minimum # of hours) - more for some majors than others. but, especially in the case of rhetoric (but also french and other majors), i think students need more freedom to choose whatever the fuck they want to take.

Edited by wurm

Fuck, Ill be graduating this May from a really great university, but I have no idea what I really want to do afterwards. I worked a few internships (tech/finance), but Im not really sure if thats something I would really want to do. I guess the game plan is to get a job, then go back for my masters then ?

Really dont want to have a job that pays well that I will resent, but Im also not going to be "following my passion" earning peanuts.

Anyway...

found this to be an interesting article: http://www.washingto...rmanent-intern/

fuck the job market, man. just from my closest friends, it's obvious how hard it can be even just to get a decently paying summer internship.

''People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don'Â’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can'Â’t find them, make them.'' - George Bernard Shaw

Edited by boy better know

I would say study something that you're actually interested in; it makes the work a lot easier/more rewarding. when I first started college, I had no idea what I wanted to do so I just followed the "omg biotech/premed" crowd and hated it. subsequently, my grades were shit I was put on academic probation. not wanting to go through that again, I immediately filed to change my major when I was reinstated and it's been smooth sailing ever since B)

obviously everyone's circumstances are different, but for me the key was realizing that just because a major is popular doesn't mean it's necessarily the right one (I'm dumb, it took me awhile to figure that 1 out).

found this to be an interesting article: http://www.washingto...rmanent-intern/

fuck the job market, man. just from my closest friends, it's obvious how hard it can be even just to get a decently paying summer internship.

are you complaining about how hard it is to get a summer internship or how hard it is to get one that pays well?

didn't read the whole thing. But the internship world in DC is really different than what it is here in cali (and I'm assuming other places). People don't move to DC just to get some bullshit job to make decent money. Whatever government, international, nonprofit career they're trying to develop requires the experience found working in DC. That's why you have people with masters and up getting paid pennies.