Sign in to follow this  
readytoignite

recent superannouncement (order in the supermarket)

not sure if anyone has considered this in order to help control the supermarket, but... is it possible to disable creating new threads in the supermarket for any user who doesn't meet these two qualifications? 1) have a certain amount of posts (say 50 or 100) and 2) has neutral or pos rep?

usually minimum post limits cause an increase of postwhoredom but the members of the forum are usually pretty good at self-policing when it comes to rep.

not even sure it's technically possible but my two cents (ch-ching). i know cotton duck had a thread about controlling the supermarket but not sure if any of the suggestions were enacted.

I don't really see why rep is applicable. Saying stupid things and getting negd for it doesn't really say much for your reliability either way. Post count and rep are superficial, the buyer/seller can evaluate for themselves whether a person's reliable more accurately. Seems like an unnecessary hassle.

All the shit surrounding Supermarket should be over pretty soon...

If this gets in the way of me obtaining SWEET DEALS, MAN I will be very disappointed.

I don't really see why rep is applicable. Saying stupid things and getting negd for it doesn't really say much for your reliability either way. Post count and rep are superficial, the buyer/seller can evaluate for themselves whether a person's reliable more accurately. Seems like an unnecessary hassle.

post count ensures that the person is contributing to the forum. screening neg rep adds a separate control that the person isn't just posting uselessly to increase his/her postcount.

the idea is to save supermarket from the scads of people who signed up just to sell the same crap they sell on five other forums without contributing positively to the forum as a whole. these are the same people who tend to ignore marketplace rules and make it harder to browse.

it seemed like it's less time consuming than manually deleting accounts so hence my two cents. however if another plan's afoot no problem here

tons of people with low or no posts have sold great stuff in supermarket

making rep even more important will just make this place a huge circle jerk (moreso than now)

post count ensures that the person is contributing to the forum. screening neg rep adds a separate control that the person isn't just posting uselessly to increase his/her postcount.

the idea is to save supermarket from the scads of people who signed up just to sell the same crap they sell on five other forums without contributing positively to the forum as a whole. these are the same people who tend to ignore marketplace rules and make it harder to browse.

it seemed like it's less time consuming than manually deleting accounts so hence my two cents. however if another plan's afoot no problem here

lol

nameen? :D

Two of the more well-known examples I can remember of people ripping off others in the supermarket came from two members who both had a fair amount of posts and were fairly well-regarded, though (SoS and axtsang). So those two qualifiers wouldn't help much. Also... does this mean Darkadious could never sell anything?

I'm curious what the overhaul of the market will look like...

Is scamming really that big of a problem? Obviously it sucks for those people who it has happened to, but it makes up less than 1% of the transaction on there, so...

I think the bigger issue is just how fast it moves. It's getting harder and harder to sell things because threads get lost in the oblivion of topics.

I wonder too what a solution would look like.

to be honest, I'm not really sure, I was just looking at it from that point as well. I think overall we have a pretty good system here to keep it to a minimum anyways, if a scammer is successful once it's usually reported here and they become the community leper.

As for the speed it moves, I can only assume something will be done to separate WTB threads from the rest, but other than splitting it into a myriad sub-forums for, say, each major designer, or tops/bottoms/shoes/etc, I really am wondering what the solution is going to be.

I seriously do not have a difficult time with Supermarket whatsoever but apparently it's just me.

i assume you use tags to navigate? i'm finding that the newer members also don't have a clue about how to properly tag their threads either. the last 24 hours of threads comprise 17 pages of supermarket.

btw i am not looking to solve the scamming problem to whoever mentioned that. as someone who sells here i'm just looking for a solution that will stop newbie doofuses from bumping my thread off of page 1 in an hour's time with crap nobody will ever buy, because after it's gone from page 3 the chances of anyone seeing it without going through a sig or tags is virtually zero (and therefore you have a four hour period each day where your post is effectively visible by browsing).

anyway if there's a solution coming into play that's cool with me, i was not aware of that when i started this....