czech republic :: prague :: general

Analyst

I'm heading to Prague for a week next month. Any tips on things to do, streets for shopping, etc.? Tisswat, I know you must know of some places. I'll post up lots of pictures when I get back.

Thanks in advance...

What do you want to do? More clubs and parties or chill stuff at restaurants and bars? How much do you want to see? They make the best beer so there are few great places to visit. I've been to Prague probably 10 times so I know few places. Most of the book guides are trash so it's not that easy to find good spots. Shopping is non existent unless you want to get some Adidas or some shit like that.

What do you want to do? More clubs and parties or chill stuff at restaurants and bars? How much do you want to see? They make the best beer so there are few great places to visit. I've been to Prague probably 10 times so I know few places. Most of the book guides are trash so it's not that easy to find good spots. Shopping is non existent unless you want to get some Adidas or some shit like that.

Yeah, the few guide books that I've seen don't really cut it.

I have a week so will have a few days to really explore the city. Ideally, I'd like to get pretty deep into the city. I'm mainly looking for the few interesting districts or streets to check out: shops, bars, restaurants.Not tourist traps.

Any guidance on chill bars and restaurants would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

prague isn't a real high fashion place but you can find some dope spots if you just keep exploring.. the new yorker is the europen version of h&m and they got a pretty big shop downtown.. the best shop i found was a vintage clothing/record shop tucked behind a tattoo parlor next to a cafe in a quite alley in prague 1..

if you're looking for a club,, get in a taxi and ask to go to "mish mash".. it's not far but it's on the other side of the bridge.. nice club with lots of locals and cheap beer.. hip hop side and techno side.. the dj on the hip hop side sucks but that's where all the action is.. and there's an upstairs balcony/lounge to get away from the madness..

the spot called 'karlovy lazne" that says "the biggest music club in middle europe" is pretty fun.. take some absinthe shots and hit each floor.. it was about 5 in the morning and we were jammin' to some hasselhoff remix.. they love that guy there..

I'd sacrifice 2 or 3 days of that week and check Cracow, it's really close. I've been in both, and I have to say that Cracow is a better experience, fashion and nightlife wise. Make sure to stop by Comme des Garçons, and as for clubs, I really liked QUSHI.

enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Prague has been rainy and cold these last few days. Been eating lots of beef goulash and dumplings and exploring the various districts. The Charles Bridge has to be one of the most beautiful walking bridges in the world.

Pictures to come.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Just got back from a long weekend in Prague and thought I'd bump this with up-to-date info.

Besides the globally known cheap chains (New Yorker, H&M et al) and the expensive boutiques (Prada, Gucci, Vuitton) I found three very interesting places. Allround shop service seems to be icy and blunt towards foreigners :)

Simple Concept Store on the main posh shopping street, Pařížská 20. Had a nice selection of Saint Laurent, Lanvin, Rick and even BBS! Copped a BBS hoodie and RO l/s and miraculously their service got 1000% better and I was offered coffee.

Egoist Fashion was a little hidden at Stupartska 9 but had a nice selection of smaller Italian brands such as Cavagna and Transit, also had some sales items.

And finally happened upon a second hand/vintage store Item on Žatecká 8 that had mostly womenswear but their small men's rack had a Damir t-shirt, a couple of Dior Homme cardigans and some asymmetrical Rick dress shirts. Nice shopkeeper jotted down some other local designer shops that turned out to be pretty eurotrashy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmmm. I was there  a few months ago. There's a modern art museum (forgot exactly what it was called) that's pretty famous. 

Beer is pretty good. Food is cheap. Good looking girls.

I really didn't find the place to be all that interesting. The whole city is full of sketchy people. The scenery isn't, like, all that amazing compared to Paris and some other European cities.

I wouldn't spend more than like a day and half out in Czech.

Are you hitting up any other spots out there? I was told Warsaw is the next Berlin...

I flew from BER to CZK. Took a train back to BER. 

The downtown is entirely tourists. Life is much better on the other side of the bridge.

One of the best nights of my life was when I went to Shadow Cafe, met some expats, and when to an electro party at a trailer park on that big island to the south of the city.

Apparently all the action is across the bridge. 

• 3 months later...

I'm living here since a while. You can do a lot of things here, it depends of what you're expecting: 

Visiting: 

• Astronomical clock (don't expect something crazy)
  • Saint Charles Bridge
  • Castle 
  • Vysherad (Park with a church into, and a great see sight on the new town)
  • Metronome 
  • Smallest street of the towU Lužického semináře (50cm wide)
  • Some museum

Partying:

A lot of pub/Club it will take a long time to details all of them depending of what you like. this part should be not so hard to find!

+SHOPPING//

www.blackoutfashion.cz

_haven't checked the store personally yet, the corny name says they focus on (L&F/RO/TK)

_kozi 3, prague 1 (if you googlemap it, make sure you add the prague 1 there)

www.theaddressidea.com

_they used to have nice stock of japanee streetwear, but they turned currated second hand for hipster vintage shit (yes cafe racers included) and BOY london

_parizska 22, prague 1 / 28. rijna 7, prague 1

www.basmatee.cz

_streetwear 

_skolska 7, prague 1

SNEAKERSTORES//

www.queens.cz

+hiphop gear

_u pujcovny 6, prague 1

www.footshop.cz

_bubenska 1, prague 7

FOOD//

_do not waste your stomach with authentic czech food, it might be a personal preference and the fact that I am vegetarian and our cuisine is pretty much meat based

www.thai-box-food.cz

_can't recommend enough. authentic thai chef cooking delicious veg friendly only food. also she is really nice.

_senovazne namesti 6, prague 1

www.woker.cz

_nice quality fusion bistro off city centre

_urxova 10, prague 8

www.restaurace-maitrea.cz

_feng shui veg restaurant. really lovely place, bit busy over the lunch during working days

_tynska ulicka 6, prague 1

www.sasazu.com

_posh fusion restaurant and music club in the middle of vietnamese market selling fake stuff

_bubenske nabrezi 306, prague 7

www.radostfx.cz

_veg restaurant and music club, international stuff

_belehradska 120, prague 2

www.baretta.cz

_native american inspired pizza. sounds superweird but tastes grrrreat. check their pizza with potatoes

_belehradska 4, prague 4

GRAFFITI//

www.graffneck.cz

_get supplies here

_janovskeho 15

legal zone tesnov

_tram station tesnov

_tesnov, prague 1

legal zone barrandov

_station hlubocepy then walk towards the river

_hlubocepska street

SKATING//

the stalin monument

_ex communist monument, all legal to skate and destroy, above prgaue there is the metronome clock and this is the spot

_the most famous street spot for skating in prague, plenty of curbs, stairs

_tram station cechuv most and climb the stairs

mystic skatepark

_roofed wooden skatepark

_stvanice 944, prague 7

STREETS//

parizska: the "fashion" street - all the big names in industry have shops there (gucci, lv, dior, burberry...)

krymska: the hipster street - all the wannabe indie fuckers have their stuff there, also good for posing and showing off the length of your beard

// if you are looking for anything specific feel free to PM me, I might be able to help you

Edited by danii

• 7 months later...

bump this... 

Traveling in September to Prague for 4 months to study. Going rather cheap, but I am open to all suggestions. Also planning on traveling the EU and maybe further east in my 90 days. Any suggestions on local food that is cheap, cool places to go "over the bridge" and shopping for second hand clothing?

anyone been to a sparta prague match? I have been told not to go by a local friend due to danger.

cheers

usualy it's not that hardcore, however if it's finals or match vs ostrava or slavia, things get hot around the venue. if you are into football go for bohemians match, which has some antifascist fans in the crowd. but l am not a football person myself.

• 3 months later...

I really didn't find the place to be all that interesting. The whole city is full of sketchy people. The scenery isn't, like, all that amazing compared to Paris and some other European cities.

Sorta felt this way too.

Saw simo cell play at Cross Club, definitely a cool spot, but 90% of the crowd just seemed like degenerates with nowhere better to go. Skate shoes, hoodies, smoking cones in the park out front. Really did not rate the atmosphere.

And yeah, I feel it's no more beautiful a place than say, Vienna.