vintage glasses thread

rodeo bill

Can you remember the bridge size Doc? B&L used to offer Wayfarers in both 22 and 24mm bridge to fit more noses.. i think it was stamped on the frame.. maybe yours were the 24s?

I have the same issue.. my dad's side of the family all had an olive complexion.. sadly i didn't inherit this family trait but i did inherit the slight oily skin which doesn't help with the frame slippage.. maybe we need those 1940s era wire frame spectacles which curl around the ear?

The best fitting glasses i've had are RB Clubmaster.. the offerings from Luxottica are a bit light and flimsy but the adjustable wire nose cushions stop the continuous frame slippage, plus my nose isn't perfectly symetrical, i can adjust one side more than the other so the fit straight on my face..  i've got 2 pairs (one blk, one tort) but the prescription lenses are 5 or 6 yrs old and i need more magnification nowadays.. I think my next pair of work glasses will be a NOS pair of B&L Clubmaster and i'll get my prescription lenses put in.. hopefully the Westfield will pay for it... the acetate pair i'm currently wearing for work continuiously slip when i'm looking down at my bench (it's so fkin annoying) and if i'm doing something with resin, glue, paint ect.. i have to continuously shove them back up with the heel of my hand so it doesn't transfer to the lenses.

I think the way fwd for me is having a decent pair of sunglasses (Caribbean) for lounging around and a lighter/tighter pair (just cheap shit) for riding, playing tennis, and such... better this way than looking like an elasticated, mirrored Oakley twat with a band around the back of my head.. :D

X-post of my sunglasses from the early 90s

image.png.5b893ed29397d545d5c5e09b6b276f24.png

..and mid 90s

image.png.ebdaa46e17feb384bc4c8252ae517f40.png

..both vintage nowadays

Edited by Double 0 Soul

7 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Can you remember the bridge size Doc? B&L used to offer Wayfarers in both 22 and 24mm bridge to fit more noses.. i think it was stamped on the frame.. maybe yours were the 24s?

I have the same issue.. my dad's side of the family all had an olive complexion.. sadly i didn't inherit this family trait but i did inherit the slight oily skin which doesn't help with the frame slippage.. maybe we need those 1940s era wire frame spectacles which curl around the ear?

No, unfortunately l was around 22/23 and didn't pay attention to such things at the time. 

Anyway, l get free safety sunnies from work and they stay on my face even when looking downwards so no worries from now on. They're not vintage tho...

Edited by Dr_Heech

The 'curl around the ear' variety of specks are great. Shame they're such a rarity these days.