Fairey's OBEY

rakis

Hi,

I've read many of the threads here with great interest and have learnt lots.

Just wondering what the general consensus is on the OBEY line.

I bought a couple of T-shirts a while back and they have worn well. The quality is quite good in my opinion.

Some of the designs are questionable as it would be in any clothing line....

So, what do you guys think about OBEY as a streetwear label?

Over. obviousely it's not him doing all the printing and stuff anymore. way to corporate. something he started out trying to get away from, but now ultimately has only become part of.

too bad. was cool in '90. not cool in '00. now everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon.

i wouldn't be cought in that gear, the only people who wear it probably just found out about it; i'm sure they also shop at Aerocrombie.

I wouldnt be as harsh as to label Obey clothing as equivelant to Abrecombie.

I'm not a huge fan of Sheppard.. actually, I take that back because I was back in the day like most people here. BUT I understand why he did what he did.... and you know what? If you look at everything he has done from the beginning.. the stickers to stencils to where the clothing line is at right now in the present.. It all comes together as a lovely piece of conceptual art. I can appreciate it at that level. The clothing.. I never really was a fan of for the most part, It always seemed to remind me of Korn and Limp Bizkit too much. BUt I remmeber a Nice jacket and tee here and there... not often but sometimes.

Besides the brand itself is gearing itself more and more towards being a Skate brand... and I've said this before, as Skate brand it's designs are far better than most others (like Anti-hero, Spitfire, etc, etc). How different is it really when Supreme goes and makes their Stray Cats tee from Obey making a Misfits one??? Actually, the Misfits one was a hotter tee to be honest.

the difference with Spitfire and Obey is that Spitfire stays in its genre. spitfire is for skaters and for the most part skaters are the only ones that wear it. if i see you wearing spitfire i can say 'hey where u skate' if i see someone wearing Obey.. i don't know shit, maybe political, maybe aerocrombie..

not that T's have to say something, but usually they do portray someing you want to say.. idea, emotion, statement, art, etc.. am i right? let me know..

Peace

Not too sure if spitfire or any skate clothing company today stays in it's genre? I mean, sure skaters where it, but due to skateboarding's mainstream status these days, you'll find all sorts of people rocking it and wanting to be wearing the latest t-shirt they saw on Mtv... Not that it's any of these company's faults though is it? I mean, surely they can't control who purchases their gear (or can they?) and I'm sure that they don't mind the money that is derived from it. Let me rephrase that, I'm sure they are loving the money, I mean, it is a business afterall!

Thing is though, if skateboading does die in the arse again does that mean these companies are going to be able to scale back down and retain their original customer base of skateboarders who were rocking their shit because it was a true skate company to begin?