Workshirts

gimmegimme

take it to a tailor - should be simple and not too expensive to change professionally.

just make sure the tailor has the new top stitching start and end under the collar, so that the visible part of the collar stand around the button hole stays clean from overlapping top stitching...

Edited by Foxy2

7 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Isn't that 'Chip strap' actually a 'throat latch'? - to cover the throat?

Doubt a tailor can fix you wearing that covering your chin - that's on you ;-)

Id just wear it like a normal shirt that covers the neck, and not pull it up on to my chin.

gettyimages-82481520-170667a.jpg

2 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Isn't that 'Chip strap' actually a 'throat latch'? - to cover the throat?

Doubt a tailor can fix you wearing that covering your chin - that's on you ;-)

Id just wear it like a normal shirt that covers the neck, and not pull it up on to my chin.

I'm not sure but I think the strap is modeled after work shirts of the the past, especially for those with wider necks like myself that can't button the top up.  I have a chambray work shirt that has the same strap from Hudson's Hill.

Edited by mlwdp

I suppose the chin tab is for people who wanted to loosen the collar (maybe as they were going to engage in hard work), while still being able to (1) close the collar during work and (2) wear the shirt with a tight collar on less informal occasions...?

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I'm not sure but I think the strap is modeled after work shirts of the the past, especially for those with wider necks like myself that can't button the top up.  I have a chambray work shirt that has the same strap from Hudson's Hill.

This explanation makes sense. 

Also when fastened, less dust or dirt gets down your shirt during different dirty activities (sanding, welding etc.) Just a guess. 

To me, this is really a useless feature nowadays, it tickles my chin when I walk, and it looks pretty fugly. I feel the same way about the most outlandish worker-inspired pockets designed for pocket watches, cigarette packs, and the like. Keeping those vintage design details for the sake of authenticity when they've lost all usefulness is silly IMHO.

That's one reason why I like the IH workshirts - simple design, big convenient pockets, pen slot, and that's it. (Now, if they could make them a tad less boxy, it would be perfect...)

4 hours ago, edmond said:

Who wants a trade?

bought a double never used

still raw

12E419CA-8CA9-4149-B8E0-6EE6827F03DE.jpeg

A96806EA-8670-4EBE-8E9F-83671F5A56E0.jpeg

7782E272-14D7-4174-A583-22A6BA7911BB.jpeg

Sweet Jesus, that is a beautiful material and the white stitching & buttons highlight it perfectly...if it only had a tabbed collar.