Workshirts

gimmegimme

That fool's trousers are great. Do we think they're denim? [Edit: the fool I am referring to is the first steelworker on the prev. page]

Also here's a third (or fourth or whatever) voice chiming in to say, "I think that's just how they made 'em." All my old Ohio-farmer-thrift-store shirts have 'low' pockets. In fact I've thought it's kinda weird how chest pockets seem to be creeping up towards the shoulders. Cf. 3sixteen work shirts--very, very high pockets. Not bad, just noticeable. I think I have also noticed that period cowboy shirts tended to have higher pockets than steelworker shirts. I wonder what the functionality was, there.

I'm not so sure those "low pockets" everyone is referring to is necessarily something intentional. This is purely speculation but if I had to guess, most of the guys in these photos probably bought the shirts a tad oversized initially for comfort and over time they all probably lost some weight in those types of working conditions...plus if your covered in sweat the chances are your fabric is going to stretch and hang more than usual - especially if you have bulky items in those pockets(lighter, viceroys, knife, etc).

I'm not so sure those "low pockets" everyone is referring to is necessarily something intentional. This is purely speculation but if I had to guess, most of the guys in these photos probably bought the shirts a tad oversized initially for comfort and over time they all probably lost some weight in those types of working conditions...plus if your covered in sweat the chances are your fabric is going to stretch and hang more than usual - especially if you have bulky items in those pockets(lighter, viceroys, knife, etc).

A "tad" oversized wouldn't do that, they'd have to be really oversized...look at where the shoulder seams fall. If they were really big on these guys they'd be hitting lower on their bicep.

Add that to the fact that Marineabilly has a shirt from that era that does the same thing and I think there's only one conclusion....

I have to disagree with glimmertwins. A soaked shirt will cause pockets to droop, but not drop and weight shouldn't have any bearing on the position of the pockets. Look at the second pic Rivet Head posted; his sleeves are perfect fitting from where the shoulder seam hits the top deltoid area (exactly where a proper fitting shirt should) down to the wrist. It also appears to properly fit him in the torso area just right. This is exactly how my Penney's S&P Chambray fits. My speculation has always been that is was a "Tall" shirt (my shirt is somewhat long), but that would mean the guy had short arms and a long torso?

Based on the Rivet Head's photo's, I believe the pockets were made that way for some reason or another.

A "tad" oversized wouldn't do that, they'd have to be really oversized...look at where the shoulder seams fall. If they were really big on these guys they'd be hitting lower on their bicep.

Add that to the fact that Marineabilly has a shirt from that era that does the same thing and I think there's only one conclusion....

After looking a little closer, I think your right - the chest pockets start below the arm holes. Just looking through a few shirts in my closet none of them start that low except for an old big mac shirt I have.

I stand corrected.

I have to disagree with glimmertwins. A soaked shirt will cause pockets to droop, but not drop and weight shouldn't have any bearing on the position of the pockets. Look at the second pic Rivet Head posted; his sleeves are perfect fitting from where the shoulder seam hits the top deltoid area (exactly where a proper fitting shirt should) down to the wrist. It also appears to properly fit him in the torso area just right. This is exactly how my Penney's S&P Chambray fits. My speculation has always been that is was a "Tall" shirt (my shirt is somewhat long), but that would mean the guy had short arms and a long torso?

Based on the Rivet Head's photo's, I believe the pockets were made that way for some reason or another.

That brings up another question...why are they making a lot of the repro shirts with such a short body? Most of the vintage ones I've owned have a much longer body than the models of today.

I'm with you on the tucking thing...like to button the top button a lot of the time too.

The only time untucked is acceptable for me is when I am rolling with the entire shirt unbuttoned with like a white t underneath. Like when I get home from work or something. Feels a little sloppy to me untucked, plus with the shirt tucked I can shows my ass off to the ladies... boom!

Ha!! Nice, rnrswitch!!

Okay, so I got a response from JCrew (because I really love the covert twill material) and this is what they had to say:

"...The Covert Twill Utility Shirt actually doesn't have a tab collar and we're working on correcting that detail on jcrew.com ASAP. Hope this helps."

I knew this was the case, but I wanted to make absolutely sure - I still might bite the bullet on it.

28227_WO5237_d2.tif&tmp=prdDtIm

While we're talking about utility shirts I will throw out an interest check on this shirt:

0f1404c01e23d3a769019f468dba8257.jpg

It was a bit big for me when I first got it, tolerable, but have since lost weight and it is pretty big now. Still wearable, but not the "go to" shirt I was hoping it would be. Size XL. Worn a handful amount of times, never washed.

^^Looks like D'artisan. Are you pitching some kind of soft sell here, Switch? If so, I am interested.

I want to give some love to probably the best workshirt I own, this popover made by Steven Alan. Although SA is a major part of the untucked-shirt axis, they really made an effort to do this one right.

image.php?type=W&id=15861

Note the low, moderately sized pockets.

IRL the chambray is significantly more gray/violet. Best detail IMO are concealed collar buttons--after a wash, they leave circular imprints like the collar snaps on a worn A-2 jacket. I will try to take pictures of this some time.

Nice shirt switch...are there hidden buttons toward the bottom? What brand is it?

It is a studio d'artisan as mtchfrnk pointed out and yeah, there are some hidden buttons towards the bottom. I really wish I fit in the shirt. I would wear it a lot more. The chambray is like 11oz and rugged.

Checkout Blue in Green for more info.

SDA shirt

Looks nice, but no finished gussets is almost a deal breaker for me, more so than a chin strap (which is often just an irritant).

^^Looks like D'artisan. Are you pitching some kind of soft sell here, Switch? If so, I am interested.

I want to give some love to probably the best workshirt I own, this popover made by Steven Alan. Although SA is a major part of the untucked-shirt axis, they really made an effort to do this one right.

image.php?type=W&id=15861

Note the low, moderately sized pockets.

IRL the chambray is significantly more gray/violet. Best detail IMO are concealed collar buttons--after a wash, they leave circular imprints like the collar snaps on a worn A-2 jacket. I will try to take pictures of this some time.

seeing those pics of the rivet guys made me think, maybe the double neck strap on workshirts is for guys like that who deal with hot sparks. The double neck strap makes a solid line of protection so sparks don't go down your front shirt that just a single collar would.... ?

Great looking shirts by the way popping up here....