Workshirts

gimmegimme

I like. I'm very partial to pullover shirts. More info on this one?

Its by 6876 - called the Scarista Shirt. Really nice shirt.

I got mine direct from their studio in London, but you can also get them online...

http://www.hanon-shop.com/

http://www.sixeightsevensix.com/index.php?section=store&page=scarista-shirt&colour=blue

I like. I'm very partial to pullover shirts. More info on this one?

If pullover shirts are your thing, check out Albam's carpenter shirt - well made, lovely materials, and good value; also Old Town do old-fashioned pull-on shirts (with quite long shirt-tails), and in some wonderful linen. Margaret Howell makes beautiful pull-on shirts, but not every season, it seems.

Finally... last time I checked, Kiosk 78 had a couple of Warehouse pullover shirts on their site, one in denim, another in a pale hickory stripe; both on sale.

(I guess I have a thing for pullover shirts too)

If pullover shirts are your thing, check out Albam's carpenter shirt - well made, lovely materials, and good value; also Old Town do old-fashioned pull-on shirts (with quite long shirt-tails), and in some wonderful linen. Margaret Howell makes beautiful pull-on shirts, but not every season, it seems.

Finally... last time I checked, Kiosk 78 had a couple of Warehouse pullover shirts on their site, one in denim, another in a pale hickory stripe; both on sale.

(I guess I have a thing for pullover shirts too)

Yeah - i love pullover shirts, which my girlfriend finds really amusing for some reason.

I'm also a fan of the Albam's shirts, I have several. I don't think they're nearly as well made as 6876's stuff though. I have 6876 shirts from 2001 that I still wear thinking about it!

Here's my J Crew. I got plenty of positive comments on it, Might as well whore it around some more. I'm considering getting the gray/black one as well...

p5280076.jpg

Is this it?

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Feature_Assortment/catalogjcrewcomexclusives/shirts/PRDOVR~89634/99101342352/89634.jsp

What's the word on Edwin shirts?

I like this one:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p374_EDWIN-L-S-BRONSON-SHIRT-RINSED.html

I saw this 40s deadstock chambray shirt on ebay. It was going for $25 about 16 hours ago. I thought I might be able to steal it for under $100, but apparently that ain't the case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300321016564

How much do you guys care about historic authenticity in the design of workshirts that you buy? The reason I ask is because I'm designing a workshirt that will eventually be for sale, and I'd rather put together a shirt that has everything I want in a workshirt, but not necessarily 'authentic'. That said, I don't want to make something that very few people would want to buy... Thoughts?

It really depends on how far from authenticity it deviates and whether you are marketing your shirt for actual work or for fashion.

For me at least, authentic is only preferable because of its aesthetic value (versus historical value). If you can get all your customization in while staying true to the general concept of the workshirt I don't see why it wouldn't have a market as a shirt for working.

If you're trying to appeal to the vintage fashion market, you probably should try and make it as authentic as possible. That being said, there are already tons of options out there for people looking for repros, so in conclusion I say go with your alterations.

Thanks for the input, stacks. I agree with you about aesthetic vs historic value.

It'll definitely look like a traditional workshirt, but, for instance, the pockets might be from different eras or influences. I'm going more for a maritime look, but not quite as unique as MFSC.

I'd also like to make the shirt have a slimmer fit, which is something you don't see very often. I can't wear most workshirts because they are way too boxy on me. I also thought there are plenty of options for repros, so I thought I'd mix things up a little.

How much do you guys care about historic authenticity in the design of workshirts that you buy? The reason I ask is because I'm designing a workshirt that will eventually be for sale, and I'd rather put together a shirt that has everything I want in a workshirt, but not necessarily 'authentic'. That said, I don't want to make something that very few people would want to buy... Thoughts?

For historic authenticity I have a few vintage workshirts from different periods and in different fabrics. That stuff is still widely available and if someone is obsessed with historical authenticity that's what he should buy!

What I want from a modern "replica" is quality fabric, workmanship and a nod to the old, but with a modern fit & aesthetic. That's what I like about Flat Head, Sugarcane etc...If I were designing a workshirt, that's what I'd be going for.

Thanks for the input, stacks. I agree with you about aesthetic vs historic value.

It'll definitely look like a traditional workshirt, but, for instance, the pockets might be from different eras or influences. I'm going more for a maritime look, but not quite as unique as MFSC.

I'd also like to make the shirt have a slimmer fit, which is something you don't see very often. I can't wear most workshirts because they are way too boxy on me. I also thought there are plenty of options for repros, so I thought I'd mix things up a little.

Well, it sounds good to me! Make some long enough for tall dudes and put me down for one!

What I want from a modern "replica" is quality fabric, workmanship and a nod to the old, but with a modern fit & aesthetic. That's what I like about Flat Head, Sugarcane etc...If I were designing a workshirt, that's what I'd be going for.

That's exactly what I'm shooting for- a modern replica with a slimmer/longer fit. The material will be selvage chambray of some kind, but not likely Japanese because of the cost. We'll see.

Well, it sounds good to me! Make some long enough for tall dudes and put me down for one!

That's partly why I'm doing this- because I'm a tall dude and nothing fits me :) What's your height/weight if you don't mind me asking? I am 6'2", 165.

I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, and FYI in case anyone might think I'm advertising, I'm not making any money at all off of this. It's all for fun.

Here are a couple photos of a cool Montgomery Ward Pioneer 40's - 50's chambray salt and pepper work shirt. Details include nice two hole black buttons and dark blue stitching re-enforcing the pockets. Notice how the shirt tails are cut long so the shirt won't pull out when tucked in - a good feature for the working man. For some reason original salt and pepper work shirts are getting more and more difficult to find these days.

SPfront.jpg

SPcollar.jpg

SPpocket.jpg

That's partly why I'm doing this- because I'm a tall dude and nothing fits me :) What's your height/weight if you don't mind me asking? I am 6'2", 165.

6'3", 178 lbs (stupid muscles weighing me down). What fucks me with most workshirts is that a medium will fit well around my torso but too tight in the chest/shoulders, a large fits well in the shoulders but baggy as shit around the torso.

Also, give those sleeves some length! I roll up the sleeves on most of my workshirts cause they just don't quite get there (there being my wrist).

Stacks:

I can totally understand about sleeve length being an issue. I am tentatively thinking of the following measurements for a M (my size):

chest pit to pit 20.5"

length 29"

sleeve from shoulder 25"

shoulders 18"

How do those numbers look?

great shirt grant, the pocket reinforcements of those pioneer (mongomery ward) shirts look nice, the bootleggers reunion reproduces pioneer work shirts. but there is nothing like the original