Workshirts

gimmegimme

2 minutes ago, mpukas said:

First off, I'm being sarcastic. Just ranting. I'm not criticizing you guys, or trying to insult or start a row in anyway. And I'm certainly not making assumptions about why you choose to wear what you like. I look to you fella's for styling cues, brand info, historical info, etc. (and most importantly community) and I'm genuinely interested in what you like and why. But I have my own weird tastes and preferences. 

My issue is that I, too, like the quality, attention to detail, fabrics, etc. of Amekaji. I just want pockets on shirts, jackets, jeans that are useful. I have 0 f's to give about historically accurate cigarette pocket details. And I have even less f's to give for street techwear. @Double 0 Soul c'mon, really? Did you have to go that low? :P

@Flash it is a lovely shirt 

No one is trying to have a go , Im just baffled at the line of thinking 

If your after a vintage type look to clothing but with modern design engineered garments would be a brand to check out 

27 minutes ago, Flash said:

Im just baffled at the line of thinking 

"Form follows function" Louis Sullivan, 1896 

"God is in the detail", German proverb made famous by Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe (AFAIK) 

What's baffling about wanting pockets that are functional for the way we live today and the objects we use, on the quality of garments we like, inspired by historical precedent? Some western brands get it, some don't and are on the Amekaji bandwagon, but their quality isn't quite there compared to JP brands (I know I'm stating the obvious to everyone here). 

I'm a modernist at heart through training, education, experience, yet I still have my old-timey working class roots. I'm allergic to tradition for the sake of tradition, in any endeavor. 

@mpukas

Look mate I'm not being overly complicated in my responses , what is baffling is the fact that you wish a reproduction workshirt to be more modern .... it doesn't make sense 

There are quality brands out there that have the style and quality your looking for 

We're walking in circles here 

Edited by Flash

52 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

I don't have strong feelings on the accuracy of repros. However, as a nonsmoker, I'm happy to report that the cigarette pocket on the ELMC shirt actually fits my vintage iPhone 6 quite nicely. :D

I was so happy when I switched my phone from the monstrous iPhone plus to a smaller one and could fit it in some chest pockets of my shirts....and then I leaned forward and the phone fell out and cracked the screen. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

We're all entitled to our opinions mate and we can't take all this too serious ( it's a denim forum after all ) , but I hope you can see where I'm coming from 

Of course, mate, I get where you're coming from, I highly respect your opinions/tastes! I'm just bantering with you! :D Pockets might be a pet peeve of mine, but I'm not taking this too seriously (expect for my own purchases). I'm afraid the sarcasm and cheekiness of my original post was lost in translation of posting on a forum. 

1 minute ago, youngofthesoonest said:

....and then I leaned forward and the phone fell out and cracked the screen. 

There's something to be said for flap pockets w/ Velcro closure. Oooops, did I just say Velcro in this crowd? :ph34r: I have flap pockets w/ velcro on shirts that I wear fly fishing, and I can put my Galaxy S9+ in in and not have to worry about it falling out while on the water. Awesome functionally, but readily admit pockets that big look... weird. 

15 minutes ago, mpukas said:

There's something to be said for flap pockets w/ Velcro closure. Oooops, did I just say Velcro in this crowd? :ph34r: I have flap pockets w/ velcro on shirts that I wear fly fishing, and I can put my Galaxy S9+ in in and not have to worry about it falling out while on the water. Awesome functionally, but readily admit pockets that big look... weird. 

The practical side of me likes the functionality of Velcro but the sound instantly transports me back to me being 13 years old and opening my Velcro wallet to hopefully find more than just a few dollars and some crumbs. 

agreed on a pocket that big looking weird. At that point, I’d rather just give in and get a phone holster. 

10 hours ago, unders said:

The coral looks real nice in this photo. 

Here's a better look at the fabric and a couple details. The selvedge ticker on the gusset really complements the fabric and the shape of the buttons add some subtle flair. The color is more accurate in the first photo.

382384317_IMG_3921copy.thumb.jpg.14d06026777885557e4e46929e6380a5.jpg1859299428_IMG_3922copy.thumb.jpg.6359f3c93471044c31fa5337fc5a350a.jpg

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

Anyone have any good mending reference material? I'm looking to repair the elbows on this Buzz Rickson chambray.
Owned for 5 years now, had held up surprisingly well aside from the blown out elbows.
2s6mGB3.jpg
5ienH6z.jpg
QWcflDZ.jpg
O8Gvw0v.jpg
Ck9t8Vb.jpg
4JtSpxE.jpg
zILGqRy.jpg
1v06veZ.jpg

44 minutes ago, JDelage said:

NPR stands for...?

I just ordered the Skid Row in heavy weight indigo linen / cotton chambray. It looks awesome on paper. I'm stoked.

Northern Pacific Railroad - it’s a take on this

1B2683A8-1A76-4F72-8BEA-D5DBA2FBC3F2.jpeg

The linen/cotton fabric of the skid row is really nice

Edited by Duke Mantee

@Broark https://www.wikihow.com/Sew-Up-Holes second method is basically how I work. You can cut out a bigger piece of fabric, pin it, sew it on. 
I always blanket-stitch the edges of a) the hole and b) the fabric to keep it from fraying any further. Did that on a shirt recently, I'm gonna put some pics up later, if I find the time. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Visiblemending/ is also a great ressource for inspiration. If u want a bigger patch trying something along the lines of sashiko might be worth it, to stop the patch-fabric and shirt-(or any other original) fabric from pillowing up, that's a little uncomfortable to wear. 

1 hour ago, JDelage said:

NPR stands for...?

I just ordered the Skid Row in heavy weight indigo linen / cotton chambray. It looks awesome on paper. I'm stoked.

That shirt looks great, look forward to seeing you post it.

Everyone,  where do you buy your Freewheelers from and whose measurements do you trust?

I've had  2 freewheelers  ( one sold) bought in Desolation Row and both were different sizes. 

The Nel shirts have always tempted me but they weren't I  stock when I was there.

@Geeman I’ve found most of the stockists are pretty good with their measurements. I’ve said elsewhere that Desolation Row probably aren’t geared up for online sales but the likes of McFly and Genco (and others) I feel I can trust. Hoosier is where I buy 99% but he doesn’t have an online store although he’ll send you as many pics and measurements as you need if he has it in stock. The only thing I’ve found to be disappointing is that many of the stores will not measure the actual waist dimensions when listing trousers/jeans but merely quote the size (in centimetres)

Edited by Duke Mantee