Workshirts

gimmegimme

23 hours ago, Aries said:

@redgreen Yep the sleeves on the Suvin gold D5595 were super narrow for me, especially at the elbow down! Must be something happening down at ole SDA...

Still, all stretched out now!

Same here... I just gave my shirt a quick wash, wore it wet over a sweatshirt... that did the trick, its much better now.

Any idea where nice indigo chambray fabric with selvage (likely Japanese), by the yard, might be sourced? I'm talking about the deep indigo stuff, as used by Mr. Freedom (didn't answer inquiries); the kind inspired by old USN shirts, and generally chambray workshirts ubiquitous in the 50's.  I've been looking for a while; no dice. All the big hobby sites (fabric.com , etc) seem to think anything lightweight and blue qualifies as chambray, and Pacific Blue seems to have run out of the really neat, vintage-looking ones (and there's often a minimum order I can't contemplate). Looking to make one shirt (so very small quantity needed), but probably order more yardage if the fabric is right, for future projects.

• 4 weeks later...

The recent posts on this thread are heavily skewed towards Chambray shirts. Any examples of a high quality denim shirt or a duck shirt in Khaki? A denim shirt from LVC or something else that could get lovely fades? 

I was very impressed with SDA'S denim shirts. I have plenty chambray and a heavy UES denim shirt so resisted buying one.

UES shirts are great, Momotaro also make well priced and consistently sized shirts. 

It's a question with a 100 different possible answers so best you just check a few brands offerings yourself first.

Edited by Geeman
Spelling

On 3/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, KOOL CHRIS said:

Any idea where nice indigo chambray fabric with selvage (likely Japanese), by the yard, might be sourced? I'm talking about the deep indigo stuff, as used by Mr. Freedom (didn't answer inquiries); the kind inspired by old USN shirts, and generally chambray workshirts ubiquitous in the 50's.  I've been looking for a while; no dice. All the big hobby sites (fabric.com , etc) seem to think anything lightweight and blue qualifies as chambray, and Pacific Blue seems to have run out of the really neat, vintage-looking ones (and there's often a minimum order I can't contemplate). Looking to make one shirt (so very small quantity needed), but probably order more yardage if the fabric is right, for future projects.

I looked around but couldn't find any; I've only experience with a large MOQ for my shirts. Sewing factories in LA might have some on hand, but I don't know if they'll sell you a small amount. Worth a shot though.

18 hours ago, i_denim said:

The recent posts on this thread are heavily skewed towards Chambray shirts. Any examples of a high quality denim shirt or a duck shirt in Khaki? A denim shirt from LVC or something else that could get lovely fades? 

LVC makes a classic sawtooth in raw from time to time, not right now AFAIK. I've sold mine though since LVC tops fit weird on me (they're too long when shoulders and chest are fine). Japanese options are SDA, Samurai etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 3:10 AM, Iron Horse said:

I looked around but couldn't find any; I've only experience with a large MOQ for my shirts. Sewing factories in LA might have some on hand, but I don't know if they'll sell you a small amount. Worth a shot though.

OK, thanks for the answer. I'll keep on looking then.

• 6 months later...

Here is the Momotaro olive work shirt size 46, I picked it up from Denimio

E3E8DB1F-7EFD-4AD0-9EB6-5AE79CA08B9A.thumb.jpeg.18c640be49cafb5220832d657f4505f1.jpeg

detail

61CF3166-C7DF-4286-83BB-8D6212E84888.thumb.jpeg.3eadebc5fb85f66a3bddf470f4c1f3c9.jpeg

And from the Okayama Denim website, also Momotaro but indigo x black selvedge oxford work shirt also size 46:

CAA8DB60-45A7-4ECD-AA07-E4C96CE728E6.thumb.jpeg.976e1744a26afbd2578f95c6ccf54503.jpeg

details

7CC9489B-D771-410F-A6C2-B20E7B54F8CC.thumb.jpeg.bc90f1fb04614212af53a581cfffc1a4.jpeg

this one fades at a steady pace, it’s great for work. Love it. 

Sugar Cane Fiction & Romance 8oz Denim Western on sale for $155.

Does anyone have one? 

It would be my first high dollar denim work shirt and I just wonder if its a good product/price?

Opinions on shrinkage appreciated since the XL dimensions look a bit snug for me.

thankyou

You need to provide a link, otherwise we can't be sure which shirt you're describing. With this said...

- Sugar Cane denim shirts might be washed, in which case there will be no shrinking (as long as you wash them cold...)

- Sugar Cane is a good, solid Jpz denim brand, and as they are vertically integrated (they own the mills), they often are among the highest bang-for-buck brands.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, JDelage said:

You need to provide a link, otherwise we can't be sure which shirt you're describing. With this said...

- Sugar Cane denim shirts might be washed, in which case there will be no shrinking (as long as you wash them cold...)

- Sugar Cane is a good, solid Jpz denim brand, and as they are vertically integrated (they own the mills), they often are among the highest bang-for-buck brands.

Sorry about that, sometimes my cell service is spotty up here in the mountains:

https://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane?product_id=1529

I have always been dedicated to LVC but my recent introduction to SC has made me a convert. 

-Pedro

DA969C49-DB83-4FEA-A806-5809499F943F.jpeg

Ah. I think that's a very nice shirt. Again, the Sugar Cane quality is very good and the price is hard to beat. This shirt has slanted pockets, which I think are very cool. It's a western shirt, not a workshirt, but it has a pen slot on one pocket, which you never find on western shirts. It shouldn't shrink if you wash it cold & hang it to dry. If the shirt's measurements fit your frame you're not taking much of a risk, but you need to make sure the shirt will fit: you'll GET great service from SE, but given the fact it's a sale item you won't be able to return it.

@JDelage,

Thank you for the encouraging post and the distinction that Western and Work are unique in the forum. 

Have any of you seen the new movie, “Blue Iguana (2018)”? It was not well received by critics but there was a great line in there when a guy verbally accosts another guy for going “double denim”.  

-pedro