Workshirts

gimmegimme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, deniall83 said:

How much do chambray shirts typically shrink? Looking at a few but unsure if I should size up or not.

Depends what brand and shirt you are referring to... Most people advise you to only cold wash your shirts to minimise any potential shrinkage, but then again, we're usually only talking 0.5-1cm if the shirts are preshrunk. If the fabric is unwashed, then they'll usually tell you how much shrinkage you might expect. Since you're "looking at a few", care to tell which particular ones they are?

2 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

Depends what brand and shirt you are referring to... Most people advise you to only cold wash your shirts to minimise any potential shrinkage, but then again, we're usually only talking 0.5-1cm if the shirts are preshrunk. If the fabric is unwashed, then they'll usually tell you how much shrinkage you might expect. Since you're "looking at a few", care to tell which particular ones they are?

Currently looking at the Burgus Plus chambray. I’ve just had such bad luck with tees and sweatshirts in the past I don’t want to make the same mistake. I’m tall and thin so if I lose much length it looks wrong.

@deniall83 From what I've read, Burgus Plus chambray shirts are all one-wash, but you'll have to double check for the specific item you're looking at. If you're cold washing your shirts and just hanging them to dry, you shouldn't experience any shrinkage at all (or only like 0.5cm). I tend to find that if there is any noticeable shrinkage, it's really only in the width and not the length. Everyone says to use a dryer with caution because it's not as easy to determine how proportionately a garment will shrink. This is pretty general advice, but it's worked well for me!

• 3 months later...

Just got this Beams + 6oz denim work shirt. What follows are some initial thoughts.

Quite standard Japanese repro style fit.

Tripple stitched side seams, sleeves  and armpits. White canvas backing at sleeve openings and yoke. Very soft denim that shrunk about 0-1,5cm at a 30C wash. The fabric got very hairy after the wash.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VmcI7c75KSwMH73D3I

Some nice puckering at all seams.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DrY1tyx7mTIgR5T83

AC0672DD-C363-47DF-84AB-570F799A7954.jpeg

Thanks!

My red chambray shirt from Denime actually has the same type of canvas backing. Don’t know how historically accurate it is but it sure makes you wash the shirt more often! ;)

I actually really liked my Bob dong I had (but sold because it didn’t fit me). Some really nifty details like how the sleeves was sown so that there was double fabric at the elbows. A very thought through construction.

1 hour ago, Spiraltoy said:

I actually really liked my Bob dong I had (but sold because it didn’t fit me). Some really nifty details like how the sleeves was sown so that there was double fabric at the elbows. A very thought through construction.

^ This, I really enjoy mine too. Doubled up elbow and shoulders, triple chainstitched, lined cuffs and collar. Plus the fabric is great and gets better and better with wear'n'wash. One of my favourite shirts for sure.

^ & ^^: Do they still make those? I was just on their page the other day to order some T-shirts, and I saw zero chambray anything. Seems like they used to have all sorts of different options. Would be interested in picking one up if they're still around, since I'll be paying the shipping either way…

I have a Momotaro that gets load of wear , great for layering. Sold my RMC.

My favourite chambray and perhaps shirt is one I bought from Nama Denim in BKK. Great fabric, quite heavy  a little more grey than blue, stiff at first, lots of detail. Love it.

You can find them on instagram

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

^ & ^^: Do they still make those? I was just on their page the other day to order some T-shirts, and I saw zero chambray anything. Seems like they used to have all sorts of different options. Would be interested in picking one up if they're still around, since I'll be paying the shipping either way…

They don't make them right now its seems, I actually haven't seen them in ages when looking at the Taobao shop.

Best thing about the shirt is the green tab that says "DONG" :D

On 9/19/2017 at 8:31 PM, JDelage said:

Because it looks fugly and serves no purpose ... ?

On 9/20/2017 at 12:42 PM, Geeman said:

Each to their own. I like a chin strap, but your right they serve no purpose 

Hmmm, dunno about that :rolleyes: ...  I mean,  peeps can do w/e they want to do w/ their shi(r)t for w/e reasons__ even for no apparent reason at all.  

But, “serving no purpose” as a reason, is an oxymoron ... since most Americana  based/inspired workwear are rarely [if ever] worn for its purpose nowadays, anyway .... right?!  Most especially, shirts @$200+ price point.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, i_denim said:

What stores would have decent selvedge/Raw denim shirts in larger sizes (46)? I like the look of Momotaro GTB shirts but nobody seems to carry them in 46.

Let's get your jeans sorted first dude before we go down the shirts rabbit hole. I don't think I can take it:D

Hahaha. Jeans left from rivet and hide via DHL. TFH 3012. Another pair of PBJ XX-019 will leave from Japan next week. For somebody obsessed with America and Americana, I don’t know why I am buying Japanese denim. Wait what?

7 hours ago, i_denim said:

What stores would have decent selvedge/Raw denim shirts in larger sizes (46)? I like the look of Momotaro GTB shirts but nobody seems to carry them in 46.

Not currently in stock but I have one of these in an xxl and it has a chest measurement of 46". See if you can track one down. 

https://www.okayamadenim.com/products/studio-d-artisan-d5335

10 minutes ago, kevypf597 said:

Not currently in stock but I have one of these in an xxl and it has a chest measurement of 46". See if you can track one down. 

https://www.okayamadenim.com/products/studio-d-artisan-d5335

How is the denim on this one? I've been sort of kind of planning to cop the D5604 (western, in Suvin Gold denim) but I actually might prefer the cut of D5335.

Any gratuitous fit/fade pics you could share?

The D5335 is an awesome, awesome heavy weight workshirt. I also have the Suvin Western, and it's also a lovely piece, beautifully finished, but I'm not sure it's a *better* shirt.

On the other hand the Suvin workshirt didn't work for me. The arms were much too narrow (also, the chest pockets are smaller than on the D5335).

1 hour ago, kevypf597 said:

@Critical Observer I don't think I have any saved but I posted some in the Studio D'Artisan thread a while back I think. Possibly in this thread too. I'll see if I can track some down. It's a beast of a shirt. It has held up to some major abuse and has faded beautifully, I think. 

54 minutes ago, JDelage said:

The D5335 is an awesome, awesome heavy weight workshirt. I also have the Suvin Western, and it's also a lovely piece, beautifully finished, but I'm not sure it's a *better* shirt.

On the other hand the Suvin workshirt didn't work for me. The arms were much too narrow (also, the chest pockets are smaller than on the D5335).

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

Now to figure out the sizing... Denimio and OD both have measurements charts up but they differ wildly from one another. <_< I quite like the look of the XL going by OD's numbers.

D5335 OD.png

D5335 Denimio.png