Workshirts

gimmegimme

FACE, nice shirt....no reason to think you would be flamed. I know for the most part we're talking about $300.00 Japanese repro shirts and all. But I think people sometimes forget real work shirts are meant to get totally fucked up with rips, stains, grease, etc. That why a real work shirt like Dickies, wrangler, red cap, ben davis are reasonably priced.

FACE, nice shirt....no reason to think you would be flamed. I know for the most part we're talking about $300.00 Japanese repro shirts and all. But I think people sometimes forget real work shirts are meant to get totally fucked up with rips, stains, grease, etc. That why a real work shirt like Dickies, wrangler, red cap, ben davis are reasonably priced.

well i suspected the flame for just THAT reason. This shirt WILL be worn to work actually, and will be worn all the time, hopefully w/ the abuse it'll take i'll get to see some nice wear marks

i have a wrangler chambray that was thrifted that looks like like the same cut as that. I love it. No need for a 200$ work shirt IMO.

yezzer

If you guys are looking for a more reasonable way to get custom workshirts, I've had a few made to measure out of Japanese selvage chambray by a guy in Texas. He does great work and can make virtually any garment you want... everything is totally custom. I've also run a couple group buys with him and everyone has been very happy with his work. Send me a message if you would like his email address.

Hello Zissou,

Can your tailor make shirts from other fabrics? Such as liberty print

Thank you!

Hey rel,

Yes, as long as he can find the fabric from his suppliers in the US and Japan, he can make something out of it. My latest shirt, which should arrive early next week, is a USN chambray style shirt, but made out of hickory stripe denim :)

FYI, custom workshirts are usually under $200.

Hey rel,

Yes, as long as he can find the fabric from his suppliers in the US and Japan, he can make something out of it. My latest shirt, which should arrive early next week, is a USN chambray style shirt, but made out of hickory stripe denim :)

FYI, custom workshirts are usually under $200.

Thank you, Zissou, could you please help me ask your tailor if he could source liberty print fabric?

I love liberty fabric but found most of brands who make shirts from them are just wasting the nice fabric. Thank you!

Let's see .. to answer one of the previous questions, I have a few Bootleggers' Reunion things --- a couple from last season, and a couple from this season. They are widely sold in Japan (I picked mine up in Chitose in Hokkaido), so should be very easy to proxy.

They are not *all* wildly expense, many shirts are around the Y15,000 level if I recall, which is around 110 euros, or 100 pounds sterling. Of course if you paying with the US peso (sorry.. dollar), things can look different.

Bootleggers were involved in some crazy trademark infringement Levi's repros when they first came out (hence the name). Also, if you look at their branding ---"Neal Cassady", "Union Special", "Stifel" --- you can imagine they probably won't get imported into the Europe or the US any time soon, unless it's by a shop with a big legal department.

The shirts run about one size small, the trousers one size large. The cut is vintage (i.e. somewhat boxy), not super slim -- you could size down if you like the current fashion of tight shirts, but then of course you run the risk of short sleeves.

The fabrics and construction are really fine, with lots of nice details. I think the "FortyNiners" website has quite a few photos and fit pics:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/fortyniners1849/bootlegger2.html

Bootleggers also do some impressive-looking leather jackets, but I don't own any, so can't comment.

^please post pics of that when you get it.. ive been dying to get a hickory stripe shirt.. wish i could find a good one for no more than $100

I definitely will.

Thank you, Zissou, could you please help me ask your tailor if he could source liberty print fabric?

I love liberty fabric but found most of brands who make shirts from them are just wasting the nice fabric. Thank you!

I will ask him. So you prefer something that is relatively unwashed? He always lightly washes the raw fabric once to get rid of most of the shrinking. Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of a made to measure shirt.

I definitely will.

I will ask him. So you prefer something that is relatively unwashed? He always lightly washes the raw fabric once to get rid of most of the shrinking. Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of a made to measure shirt.

Thank you, Zissou!

wash or unwash, I don't mind as long as the shirt is well made and fits me well:)

Wahwho, have you tried any of the Kapital items? It looks like an interesting brand.

it's safe to say if a brand does wabash cloth, they know what they're doing. I haven't tried anything from them personally, but they seem to be in the same vein as 45rpm and other casual brands like it. Not to mention their denim line looks superb.

if I had the money/my size, i would much rather get kapital's, seems less western.

From those photos Kapital's wabash fabric is nowhere near as nice look as Flat Head's. I've really never seen a wabash as heavy and interesting looking as what FH has used these past two season's. I just got the workshirt version and it's my favorite shirt i've gotten this year with the exception of some dressier rayon shirts from DB and RJB..

I don't think a wabash print western shirt is all that appealing. I think the wabash conductor shirt by freewheeler looks a lot nicer and seems a bit more genuine.

I don't think a wabash print western shirt is all that appealing. I think the wabash conductor shirt by freewheeler looks a lot nicer and seems a bit more genuine.

Agreed. Since wabash (and Stifel fabric generally) has strong railroad associations, I would put the case that it works best as workwear, not western wear. But, chacun à son goût, as the frogs say...

agreed as well, western look on a wabash looks just off imo but to each his own.

thanks for the info about bootleggers reunion shirt, will probably pick up the chambray trackwalker but contrary to what was said before, it says its cut slim instead of boxy? maybe its just that shirt though.

and ordered the Buzz Rickson CPO shirt; cant wait to wear it this winter

agreed as well, western look on a wabash looks just off imo but to each his own.

thanks for the info about bootleggers reunion shirt, will probably pick up the chambray trackwalker but contrary to what was said before, it says its cut slim instead of boxy? maybe its just that shirt though.

and ordered the Buzz Rickson CPO shirt; cant wait to wear it this winter

I have the linen chambray trackwalker, and, yes you're right, it does seem slimmer in cut than either the 'bakehead' or neal cassady denim shirts or the check flannel shirts. A lot depends on how you size it, of course. In any case, I'm sure you will like the fabric and the detailing.

Problem is, the coat won't be anything like a 48 inch chest practically speaking. First, that's an outside measurement of a very thick, melton wool, second, it's made to wear a long sleeve shirt or sweater under. Most likely, with this type of coat, that equals 45-46 max, maybe a bit less if you want free range of movement. In any event, a coat like this isnt meant to fit very tightly. I am a 48, and when purchasing clothing like this in the past, I take a 52 chest usually.

Here's a possible alternative to the coat (not sure if they will make one in black, but you never know):

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/ccoats/mackinaw.html

Rivet,

Thanks. Coat looks interesting. I've seen that website before, but haven't been there in a few years. It's part of the whole cowboy action shooting reenactment thing that was very popular 4-5 years ago.

Fardin,

That's the question bothering me...quality. Sadly enough I am so used to paying outrageous prices for clothing/denim that I immediately want to think the quality must be suspect for $200.00

thanks rivet.

i think all three look very nice. i always wanted to get the drifter, but i wanted it with a fur collar, never got an answer though. true the quality issue comes up very quick because we are spoiled with some of the japanese stuff out there.

• 2 weeks later...

It's only J.Crew, but anyway. I got me this herringbone utility shirt. I sized down to a M, I think the right choice. It's maybe just a pinch too slimfitting to be a fully functional workshirt, but a L would have been way too big I think. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality.

pc040110.jpg

pc040111.jpg

pc040112.jpg

pc040113.jpg

pc040115.jpg