Canadian are stupid

gimmegimme

I basically found every party was shit. I defaced my ballot, I could not vote for any of them. Another fucked up thing, the NDP candidate for my riding was 18! I read an article about him in the newspaper and he said he liked playing video games for 2 hours a day and sometimes all night.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

Also, from what I've read, minority governments (in Canada, at least) historically don't last very long, so I wouldn't be shocked if there was another election in 2 years.

which is probably what leads canadians to vote less, and less...apparently last night was the lowest voter turnout on record, probably due to a lack of interest in any of the parties.

which is probably what leads canadians to vote less, and less...apparently last night was the lowest voter turnout on record, probably due to a lack of interest in any of the parties.

Yeah, that's another problem altogether that they're going to need to deal with. Apparently the second worst turnout was in 2004. The Liberals need a leader who the general public will actually find interesting and they need to get people re-engaged in the whole process.

I know that I voted more out of antipathy to Harper and his government than out of a love for any particular party or candidate. And being a big geek, I decided to go with the candidate who was endorsed by Cory Doctorow.

Yeah, like it happened last election... There's a good think in having a minority gov., even though it's the pc who won, since they don't have enough power, they can't be too stupid.

I didn't vote, never did. Nobody to vote for, no difference at the end.

the power all comes from the same place.

If we had 2 major parties, I think the conservatives might have done even better than they did. The liberals (and Dion) put on such a weak showing that we would probably have a majority Conservative government now.

At least with (another) minority government, the Conservatives need to get one of the other parties on board to get anything accomplished.

Also, from what I've read, minority governments (in Canada, at least) historically don't last very long, so I wouldn't be shocked if there was another election in 2 years.

if you are this guy, then yes, you're right!

sLUdtF7aG7o&feature=related

fuck tommy douglas. this is the TRUE greatest canadian.

(honestly, watch it through to the end. if you don't find this video hilarious on at least 15 levels i don't want to know you)

congrats :)

looks like you fuck heads made the same mistake that overly left wing citizens in my country made 8 years ago. Rather than getting together and ensuring conservatives do not fuck up your nations social programs and infrastructure, you guys decided to split up your votes by selfishly voting for the party that most reflected your own personal "progressive" values rather than compromising.. therefore giving the conservatives the most solid voting block. You guys played right into their clammy money grubbing hands.

So while most of you are liberal, you decided not to band together on a party that would help the majority of your broke asses the best. Oldest trick in the book. Good job America Jr, you just fucked your shit.

See ya at 2012! (:

Canadian Conservatives are by no means equivalent to American Republicans. Our conservatives are very tame by comparison and generally not terribly concerned with gay marriage and abortion which seem to be seen as signs of the apocalypse south of the border.

I don't like them, but they don't seem to be out to REALLY fuck anyone, just kinda screw us over.

And just to point out, we campaigned, voted, counted and have a "new" government in just a few months, quit fucking around and vote already America, I'm sick of your election fucking up the news.

I dislike that the Conservatives want to continue deregulating industries (e.g. food testing, airline auditing) and interfering with arts funding by acting as a moral agent. I don't agree with the party.

I voted Green.

I wish we had a proportional representation system. I am aware that our current political culture is reliant on majority governments; minorities are a travesty as radical policies can't get enacted as deliberation has to ensue! The first-past-the-post system effaces voters; if you did not vote for the winning candidate in your riding, then your views are discounted. While proportional representation would result in continual minority governments, there would be a more balanced approach to policy-making because deliberation would be mandatory. Issues that would not normally be raised, or at least not have proper time spent upon, would be parliamentary issues. Mody importantly, all citizens who vote would be represented as every vote would count.

In this election, we would see the Bloc Quebecois with far fewer seats, the Conservatives with fewer seats, the NDP would have more and the Green Party would jump from 0 seats to 20.

Canadian Conservatives are by no means equivalent to American Republicans. Our conservatives are very tame by comparison and generally not terribly concerned with gay marriage and abortion which seem to be seen as signs of the apocalypse south of the border.

I don't like them, but they don't seem to be out to REALLY fuck anyone, just kinda screw us over.

And just to point out, we campaigned, voted, counted and have a "new" government in just a few months, quit fucking around and vote already America, I'm sick of your election fucking up the news.

Oh excuse me guy, I guess when we change government and do a vote we try to take our time since, well I dunno, its kind of a big deal seeing as how we are a super power of the world and all.

We cant just fiddle with our privates and magically produce an electoral outcome like you woodland folk.

To the above: you ought to learn at least something about the way Canadian politics work before sharing your insights. So far you got just about nothing right.

Voter apathy was intense, but hell, pretty understandable - there are no suitable candidates. Bob Rae is probably the next PM.

Also, I should have voted for the independent candidate in Toronto Centre. During the debate, guy said the only reason we should have an army is to protect against alien invasion.

There were no real issues this election.

We had an election for the sake of an election. The Conservatives were hoping that, since everything was going swell, they could nip a majority government. In a way, I am happy for the financial meltdown as I think that put enough people off the Conservatives to ensure they remained a minority.

Unfortunately, the Bloc Quebecois have an enormous number of seats and are conservative, so we have a majority of conservatives in the Legislature anyway.

Oh excuse me guy, I guess when we change government and do a vote we try to take our time since, well I dunno, its kind of a big deal seeing as how we are a super power of the world and all.

how typically american of you. Do you really think all this showboating and grandstanding is necessary? If they only spent 1 year campaigning instead of two i suppose the you wouldn't be able to make up your mind would you?

We cant just fiddle with our privates and magically produce an electoral outcome like you woodland folk.

Ha! its okay, I'd be upset if my electoral process was a laughing stock around the world as well, so I can understand why you've confused effectiveness with magic.

if zombie mccain wins we won't be much better off. harper is notoriously a presidential ass-kisser...I'm pulling for an Obama victory as much to keep him in check as for any other reasons.

God, I wish I had the photochop skills to put together a Harper kissing Obama's ass pic. No Homo, it would just make me feel better about the world in general.

Unfortunately, the Bloc Quebecois have an enormous number of seats and are conservative, so we have a majority of conservatives in the Legislature anyway.

sorry, but the Bloc are pretty much as left-wing as they come, i am amazed that somebody would actually call them conservative. Useless, opportunist and annoying no problem (and that's coming from a french canadian), but not conservative...

to whoever suggested we adopt a proportional representation system, as much as i like the idea, it's just not practical. We'd end up with too many parties, many if not most self-interested in nature (think more bloc and reform, which i really don't think we need) which would lead to dysfunctional governments and an election every other year or so.

my only satisfaction is that Michel Fortier didn't get elected which is good for work as TD will have one less direct access to a minister...

Which bring me to the rumor of the day that Frank McKenna would come back as liberal head which i think would be awesome, even if that would give TD another high profile access to government...

ARE YOU STUPID

I MEANT CANADA... COOPERATIVELY, WE VOTED CONSERVATIVE. WE VOTED WRONG.

BUT MY FAMILY AND I VOTED RIGHT.... I MEAN LEFT.

RAPIST !!! 1|1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!

is dion still hiding? fuck that dude. im kind of glad the libs got buttraped but i wish the extra seats were more spread out among the smaller parties. bloq surprised the shit out of me, but thats no feat considering i know nothing of them accept that they are sometimes seperatist (not this election, though). anyway, is dion gets booted i will consider the election a small victory for the underdog. otherwise, fuck harper and his cronies.

sorry, but the Bloc are pretty much as left-wing as they come, i am amazed that somebody would actually call them conservative. Useless, opportunist and annoying no problem (and that's coming from a french canadian), but not conservative...

to whoever suggested we adopt a proportional representation system, as much as i like the idea, it's just not practical. We'd end up with too many parties, many if not most self-interested in nature (think more bloc and reform, which i really don't think we need) which would lead to dysfunctional governments and an election every other year or so.

You're right. I was incorrect in my assertion of the Bloc as economically right and I am unsure as to why I made it.

I was also the one suggesting proportional representation. It's not feasible in Canada as our political culture would not support it.