Explain Your User Name

WayneGibbous

i'm a big john mayer fan, and my screen name for years was "corterlifecrisis" because theres a line in a song, "might be a quarter life crisis" that was one of my favorites for a long time. well...shortened it to corter, a little less crazy fan~esque. I'm still a huge mayer fan, always will be.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a big john mayer fan, and my screen name for years was "corterlifecrisis" because theres a line in a song, "might be a quarter life crisis" that was one of my favorites for a long time. well...shortened it to corter, a little less crazy fan~esque. I'm still a huge mayer fan, always will be.

negged.

just kiddin'. not negged. but damn, man.

every time i hear john mayer i picture that sanjaya kid from american idol. i hate that sanjaya kid. in fact, liking john mayer is very similar to liking american idol. i mean, even if it's true, you should keep it to yourself. just my 2 cents.

dude can play the guitar though, i'll give him that. and he pulls some A-list ass for sure. yeah fuck it john mayer rulez!

nah he sucks

oh, i'll gladly admit i'm a Mayer fan. He's probably the best pop musician alive today (I said pop, remember). Many in the industry will agree to that.

Take his early years playing music: he didnt have a band, so he got a record deal as a solo acoustic musician. He won a grammy with a song he wrote in a dorm room. 3 albums later, he's transitioned to the type of music he wants to play and brought millions of fans with him. There were 13 year olds at the last show i went to singing along to his crossroads cover, and talking about SRV. you can't get upset at someone that exposes their fans to not only their music, but other classic musicians as well.

throw away that he's even a musician- he's a person who has mastered their craft, became the best of the best, and keeps pushing himself instead of simply abusing his status. I don't care if you play music, build furniture, design, play football, whatever, that's the ultimate status you can achieve.

I don't want to rant and rave, as i'm not trying to really defend but explain. He knows the business inside and out, lyrically he's on key and compositionally he's of the best. I'd urge yall to download this lecture he just gave at berklee, it's a really great listen even if you're not a musician

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7vbfl

oh, CJ: i'd tend to disagree with you about the american idol comment. his first and second album, maybe. but with the new blues stuff, the newest album, and the live album, people are really starting to get his point and understand what he was doing with his earlier music. i can now put on a live record and have all of my friends that are usually at hardcore shows and shredding their ibanez 7 strings go "oh, john mayer! he's got skill, man" and point out solos and really good chord progressions and stuff. it's weird, but cool too

wow corter is seriously in love with that mayer dude...

he surely is.

corter i was just fuckin with you. i mean he's a little boring and vanilla for me, but he does have talent and good taste (as far as the types of music that influence him.)

but i think of sanjaya because he sang that "waiting on the world to change" song and it was absolutely terrifying to me. and that song is kinda lame man. i'm sorry, it just is.

anyway, moving on.

and i would argue that radiohead is the greatest band in the world if i was forced to choose

and i would argue that radiohead is the greatest band in the world if i was forced to choose

mayer would also argue that radiohead is one of the best bands in the world...lol. i absolutely agree, radiohead is amazing. however, you have to understand the music industry to make that decision. they're 50% band and 50% image. if their albums did not look as they did, if they didnt portray the imagery they do, I believe their status in pop culture would not be as strong.

edit: i'm not saying i understand the music industry at all. i'm kinda drunk, which means i think i understand just about everything. and i love using italics. just sayin'

[at the time] i thought it would be funny to make the name brad pitt, and my first couple waywt's even photoshopped his face on to my head. i kind of wanted to change the name to something more "me" but all the reps, posts, and threads i've made/participated in and the fact that it's a pre 07 account kind of makes it sentimental. so i just stuck with it.

[at the time] i thought it would be funny to make the name PaperSt., and my first couple waywt's even photochopped a bar of soap on to my head. i kind of wanted to change the name to something more "me" but all the reps, posts, and threads i've made/participated in and the fact that it's a pre 08 account kind of makes it sentimental. so i just stuck with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

token = toking

and im sure mrip and myself are the only indian kids here

so i took it upon myself to be the token indian

that and i love smoking cannabis