NYC BOOKSTORES...

mikeyt52

gonna be in NYC this weekend... where are some good bookstores or magazine stands around manhattan?... i went to reed space last time and they had a lot of good books... found some that i couldn't find anywhere else... any more shops like that?

"never disrepect women, cause i love my momma..." -Talib

try, strand books they alway have a great selection. It really depends what you are into. there are some bookstores midtown great for architecture, and there's this spot next to moma that sells japanese mags and books (some in english). so what are you into?

Zakka is Great Bookstore if not anything else... they're on Grand.

St. Marks Books is also a good book store in the traditional sense, but they get a lot of things in early and have a good selection of new art and design books. It's on 9th and 3rd Ave.

There's this large Japanese chain bookstore on 41 st. between 5th and Madison Ave. It's called "Book Off" and is 2-3 floors of mostly used Japanese books and some Used CDs

Edited by Dolo on Sep 17, 2004 at 07:15 AM

• 1 month later...

if we're talking off-the-path and not art books (which is a completely different matter) i'd suggest shakespeare & co on broadway/washington pl. slightly students-y nevertheless great. except for the previously mentioned you also have: academy just above union sq and the big b&n, st marks books on 3rd ave (4-5 streets down from kiehl's) -- oh btw, don't frown at b&n. their union sq superstore is just super.

as for art books, printed matter in chelsea is the location for editions, multiples and non-published. my other dealer's of class-a stuff are hacker (w 57th) ursus (madison/76) and ex libris e70th (betw lex and 3rd) -- all three for out of print titles. rizzoli's in midtown (a block west from hacker) is a chain but excellent, their west broadway location shut down a few years ago so it may be a question of time before they pack up and head home to italy. also -- if you're looking for superfuture-ish graphic design/typography titles (which will have no relevance whatsoever in few days) and odd post cards to send to your friends at the community-run art school in meguro, ohio or chelmsford, don't forget untitled on prince st, just a few metres west of hotel mercer.