Favorite Photographers

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Ok, so this post was the whole reason i signed up for this dreadful forum in the first place, and with that i feel its my duty to keep it alive.

Now that people have posted who they admire, lets see some personal work. From viewing this post and the what sort of camera do you own post there must be some fellow photographers here.

So, please, show your work! Ill share mine if the idea catches on...

No, Carl, don't do it! You're think you're in love but you don't see how one-sided the relationship is! You'll give and give and all these forums will do is take and take! I can't stand to watch you lose every part of yourself you once cherished! Go ahead and kid yourself with this thread (yeah, just this one eensy-weensy thread!). But I know you want to post replies to that Dior Homme skinny jean thread! Go ahead, I bet you're rocking a pair right now! You might as well post pics, too! Oh, I had so much hope when this thread began but now...now...I don't know you anymore!

Some great lists there... good to add and rep the city with Vancouver School photograpers like Stan Douglas, Rodney Graham, Ken Lum. Someone mentioned Jeff Wall, would love to be able to see his show at the Tate Modern.

On a completely different tip, Nadar, Frenchman worked 1850s-1900s, did some amazing work, mostly portraiture, but also some great aerial shots of Paris and some underground shots of the Paris catacombs and sewer systems...

kremedla - Nice! Some of those portraits were badass. Good stuff, id love to see more if you have it.

So, i don't have much on my computer (its all on the external hard-drive which is subsequently not with me) but ill show what i have. All of these were shot this summer in Bowling Green, Ky. Minimal toning work so they don't look as good as the could...

hwy9hg.jpg

hwyb06.jpg

hwyb87.jpg

hwybf9.jpg

hwybr6.jpg

hwybs4.jpg

hwybyf.jpg

hwycd0.jpg

Carl, Those are beautiful. I've been getting into photogrpahy latley and want to be able to take pictures like that a few questions:

a)where do you find your subjects?

b)what kind of camera do you use?

c)how did you learn photography?

Thanks man, props once again.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

SENDkylHISPASSWORD - Thanks, i appreciate the comments.

As for the questions...

A) Anywhere. Most of those were shot in the neighborhood where i lived this summer. Just walk around and meet people in your community. I love meeting people and interacting with them almost as much as I do photography. If i can go out and meet a new person to form a relationship with but not get a decent photograph its still worth my time. The style of documentary/photojournalism that i like isnt like most newspaper/newsworthy things such as disease/"freak of the week"/disasters/spot news/etc. I like everyday american life; finding my own slice of americana.

B) Leica M6 with a 35mm F2 lens. I also use Illford Delta 400 b/w film.

C) Self taught to begin with. I took a class in high school but had a horrendous teacher who didnt know her ass from a hole in the ground, so i was forced to learn by error. I now attend college, Western Kentucky University, specifically for photography (majoring in photojournalism). The school is among the best in the country, with other notable schools such as Ohio University, University of Missiouri, RIT, Brooks Insitute, University of Montana, and University of Florida. The program here is very intense and very journalism oriented. I tend to fight that alot with my professors and have earned myself a reputation as a bit of an outcast, which doesnt bother me in the bit.

I could on for days about photography...

Thanks for the info, I'm really hoping to take a photography class sometime soon. Also, I dig that your still using film. A question about cameras. Is it esential to be using an SLR, digital or non to get excellent pictures. I'd eventually like to get one but mainly I've been using and older Canon 5MP Digi to take some pics.

my favourite things

some of the greatest photographers used simple point and shoots. but SLRs allow you the freedom and flexibility to control every aspect of exposure. if you're just starting out, using an SLR forces you to learn how photography and cameras work.

i wish they had specific photojournalism programs in canada... it sounds exactly like what i was looking for after i graduated from high school. i ended up going into print journalism because there isn't a single place in the entire country that offers something like that.

carl,

thanks for the compliments - i think your portraits have alot of depth the series has a good feel.

good to know that you shoot with a leica also. i have recently picked up a contax t2 and that has been my everyday camera, i am loving it. i 'd say get the best equipment/glass that you can afford and suits your shooting style. no sense in getting a big digi slr with loads of lenses if it is too big for you to carry and shoot.

i am learning more and more that being an effective photographer is more about 'being there' and the relationship you are trying to establish with your subject. look at terry richardson, from a technical point of view nothing spectacular, but look at his portraits and they are imho pretty strong. the other argument is someone like the cobrasnake, i am not 100% sure but i would guess that he is using a digital slr with flash. pics nothing spectacular at all and too many but there is an audience for it b/c he is at places most ppl would love to be.

myself i am more of a fan of erwitt and the magnum photographers. they went about their business and hunted the shots. they fucking killed it.

personally i think the pictures are lacking any context...in the first pic what is the main subject that you are trying to capture? what is it that is striking? from a tech point of view i think that the second pic could be fixed abit by cropping and maybe straightening, but again kinda lacks context.

this is just my opinion, i think the best thing to do is keep shooting and not take anything too personally - you will find a style that you like from experience.

kremedia, Thanks for the honest opinions. Hopefully after some experience, my pictures will evolve into something that conveys emotion.

Also, any technical tips/camera settings etc.?

dnnsmanace, good stuff. My favourite is definatley the first one with the man and the wall. Just something striking about that one. I'm not a fan of sunset pictures in general, find them overdone. the one with the caution tape is cool because there is such clarity, but nothing really special about the subject. The skateboard one looks good, but I think the skateboarder could have been captured at a better moment. I like your general style.

Here is another.

68806523_ebbc8f77e3.jpg

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Nov 30, 2005 at 05:48 PM

• 6 months later...