What to wear to a Semiformal cocktails party

keysonawire

I'm going to this event with my girl and I'm thinking about what to wear. I'm guessing the crowd will be older and fairly trendy, while we're pretty young (21/22).

I have a slim black 3 button suit I'm probably just going to pair with a white shirt and black silk tie.

Should I try for something a little more interesting? What would you guys wear to an event like this?

I'm guessing a lot of guys there will be wearing the exact same thing. If you don't want to go through too much trouble, go with subtle touches. I have an semiformal event coming up and I'm wearing a black suit, spread collar shirt, black silk knit with white stripes, linen pocket square, and red socks.

Look for an interesting shirt that isn't overboard. For such an event thrift/vintage stores are your friend. You could also wear a waistcoat and tie with no jacket.

semiformal means it doesn't have to be a black tie, so ...

If you want to blend in (in the good sense) but not bore, just wear a cool tie -- maybe hermes or brioni or something -- or a shirt with a contrast collar or double collar or some other cool detail. McQueen did a cool "photocopy" shirt or something, i forget exactly what it's called. He also did a plain white button-up with a cool tux-style front placket thingy (I bought one today on sale). Band of Outsiders definitely did a bunch of contrast collars, as did less sufu-happy brands like dsquared and etro on shirts that aren't over-the-top, or you could go as plain as thomas pink / faconnable with the winchester collar.

or just stick to plain solid colors which is what lots of other people will wear.

EDIT: and i damn well bet nobody there will have a ticket pocket. they are so cool.