3sixteen Jeans

individualsole

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, opinions on Kiabata vs BSP? If the PBJ I'm waiting on don't work for me I will possibly go 21BSP but now the Kiabata line is released what's the comparison between two Japanese raw denims from the same company?

Edited by Geeman

Guys, opinions on Kiabata vs BSP? If the PBJ I'm waiting on don't work for me I will possibly go 21BSP but now the Kiabata line is released what's the comparison between two Japanese raw denims from the same company?

big differences. the denim on the 21bsp is an 18oz unsanforized denim that is indigo white. the kibata denim is 14.5oz unsanforized denim.  Here is a picture of a well faded 21bsp jean from Johan of 3sixteenhttp://www.3sixteen.com/blogs/news/17171460-well-aged-21bsp

There isnt many samples out of fades of the kibata denim so i cannot comment on the fades.

Biggest factors would be the weight difference as well as the 21bsp cut being different than the SL and ST cuts.

Cheers guys. I knew about the weight difference, aware that BSP are considered 3sixteens premium line but was wondering if the Kiabata came close or were just a unsanforised offering alongside there normal line. I've had ST100 previously and don't ask why but I love the extra stitching line that runs of the back pockets, wish it was on the BSP.

If the PBJ don't work out it'll be the 21BSP.

I actually love my 21bsp more than the ST-130x/ST-200x that I had. It is a huge difference in terms of denim, weight, fading and hardware and I would not hesitate to go to the 21bsp line over the standard 100x denim. But I can't comment at all when coming the BSP to the Kibata denim.  Are you getting the new 18oz PBJ jeans ?

I have preorder the rivet and hide 24oz collaboration just waiting on the final sizing confirmation. If they don't work it'll be the 18oz X013 or 21BSP. I've been set on X013/PBJ for a while but if the sizing doesn't work the details and fabrics are irrelevant! Danny will look after me one way or the other

Cheers guys. I knew about the weight difference, aware that BSP are considered 3sixteens premium line but was wondering if the Kiabata came close or were just a unsanforised offering alongside there normal line. I've had ST100 previously and don't ask why but I love the extra stitching line that runs of the back pockets, wish it was on the BSP.

If the PBJ don't work out it'll be the 21BSP.

I have both the +21BSP and the kibata denim.  I also have retired a pair of the ST-100x.

The +21BSP is completely in a league of its own.  It's not just heavy, it's also a very dense weave and a very stiff denim.  It took many months for them to soften up and become comfortable.  It was totally worth it in the end, but these are jeans that would stay stiff enough to stand up on their own even after 5-6 machine washes.  They're also very slow to fade.  It's totally worth it, they're amazing jeans, but you have to be willing to invest some time breaking them in.  I also can't wear them in very hot/humid weather.  I did it one summer and it was miserable.  The fades I'm getting are similar to cmboland's link:  more of a gray/white "vintage" sort of fade.  Here's a link to my +21BSP from earlier this year http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/61213-3sixteen-jeans/page-66#entry3152965

I've had the kibata for about two months and am totally in love with them.  They're completely different from the 21BSP.  It's not just the lighter weight, it's also a more loose weave.  They softened up by maybe the 2nd or 3rd wear and are super comfortable already.  They're not showing a ton of fade yet, but what's starting to become visible is more of the "electric-blue" sort of fade that you see from The Flat Head.  It's too early to tell what they're actually going to end up looking like, but they're heading in that direction.  I think in another month or so I might have some wear worth posting.  Also, I'm getting some nice roping around the hem--that's the quickest that I've seen roping from any raw denim that I've owned to date.

I'd say that if you liked the ST-100, you'll love the kibata.  It's everything the ST-100 is, just better.  The +21BSP is a completely different animal.

Edited by cthip

To anyone who has the 11/21bsp+, have you guys ever stretched these jeans out past or to their raw measurements? I've had 3 other pairs of 3sixteen jeans and on all of them I was able to get very little stretch on any of them. 

I got a ton of stretch out of my ST-100x.  They're a tagged size 31, when I usually wear a 33 or 34.  It doesn't look quite right, but I can still squeeze into them if I need to.

The +21BSP is much much LESS stretchy than the ST-100x.  it does stretch a little, but I'd guess less than other 3sixteen denims.

Cthip, thanks for the info. Does the 21BSP stretch back to/past raw?

In 2 months of wear, I haven't got them to stretch past the raw 

To Cthip, if you sized down on them, it definitely makes sense that you got them to stretch out. I don't think 3sixteen jeans are vanity sized and no reason to size down. Out of all the 316 jeans I owned, I realized I needed to size up 1 or 2 to get my desired fit. 

Cthip, thanks for the info. Does the 21BSP stretch back to/past raw?

Not quite.  Here are my current measurements compared to measurements on selfedge.com:

Waist:  33"  (34" listed on selfedge.com)

Rise:  11"  (11" listed, rises don't shrink/stretch much)

Inseam:  35.75"  (39" listed)

Thigh:  11.75"  (11.6" listed)

Knee:  8.5"  (8.9" listed)

Hem:  7.5"  (7.9" listed)

In 2 months of wear, I haven't got them to stretch past the raw 

To Cthip, if you sized down on them, it definitely makes sense that you got them to stretch out. I don't think 3sixteen jeans are vanity sized and no reason to size down. Out of all the 316 jeans I owned, I realized I needed to size up 1 or 2 to get my desired fit. 

Yea when I bought them several years ago the trend was to buy them so tight that you could just barely button them, and they would stretch/relax as you wore them.  Since then I've gained a little weight (one size), usually buy unsanforized (one more size), and prefer a slightly looser fit (one more size) which accounts for the discrepancy between the size 31 on my ST-100x and the 34 on my kibatas.  The ST-100x has significantly stretched though:

Waist:  33" (32" on selfedge.com)

Thigh:  11.5" (vs 10.5")

Knee:  7.5" (vs 7.9")

Hem:  7.5" (vs 7.6")

Inseam:  34" (vs 37")

Rise:  10.5" (vs 10.6")

So, I definitely agree with you, tagged sizes are pretty accurate and there's no need to size down.  However if somebody is in a situation where their pair is just a little tight, it is possible to stretch these out as my measurements show.  No telling how long that might take or how (un)comfortable that might be though!

Edited by cthip

@cthip You have quite the 3sixteen lineup. Definitely curious to see how your Kibata's turn out!

Haha yea.  I keep telling myself I'm gonna branch out and try something different (I do have one pair of Stevensons), but you guys seem to keep releasing exactly the type of denim that I need exactly when I need it!

I'm excited about the Kibatas too, will post photos after the next wash.

I got a pair of 30bsp's. Love the cut and the denim but unfortunately bought one size too small so the waist is brutal. Anyone selling a pair of 30 / 34 / 32 bsp in 33? or selling a 21bsp in 34? Or want a home for 30bsp in size 32?

I got a pair of 30bsp's. Love the cut and the denim but unfortunately bought one size too small so the waist is brutal. Anyone selling a pair of 30 / 34 / 32 bsp in 33? or selling a 21bsp in 34? Or want a home for 30bsp in size 32?

I have a pair of 21bsp in 34 on grailed right now, but they're hemmed pretty short (28.5" inseam)

• 2 weeks later...