3sixteen Jeans

individualsole

How is 3Sixteen as a brand since it is manufactured in the US? I guess it is better than N&F/Unbranded and the 2018 Levi's/LVC but how does it compare to Warehouse jeans or Pure Blue Japan?

I am curious as it is rather expensive at $250 and am looking at their tapered cuts with interest (CT-100X).

Is the CT fit really "High Rise" as the measurements mention a Front Rise of 11"3/4?

Also, these will cost me $350 to get to India including shipping and customs whereas I can buy any Japanese brand at less than $250 (Japan Blue, Momotaro, Pure Blue Japan). Hence wondering how good are their jeans as they seem to be modern and not repros.

If the fit are modern or repro doesn't tell you anything about how good the jeans are... 3sixteen is great quality and nice jeans. I personally don't like the cuts but if the measurements is what you're looking for then you won't be disappointed. 

Edited by tigerstrom

5 hours ago, i_denim said:

Is the CT fit really "High Rise" as the measurements mention a Front Rise of 11"3/4?

Also, these will cost me $350 to get to India including shipping and customs whereas I can buy any Japanese brand at less than $250 (Japan Blue, Momotaro, Pure Blue Japan). Hence wondering how good are their jeans as they seem to be modern and not repros.

3sixteen does not do repro. I have 2 pairs of their jeans and they're pretty good quality. However, given the extra cost you'd pay to get a pair i'd be sure to ask for precise measurements from whoever you buy them from. My experience with buying jeans is that very rarely are a pair exactly on spec to a manufacturer's fit chart.

Personally I've found the construction quality of 3Sixteen's to be as good or better as any Japanese brand I've worn. It doesn't hurt that they use poly/cotton thread, the back pocket sewing on my 3Sixteen pairs, for example, has held up considerably better than on all of my Japanese pairs.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:27 AM, i_denim said:

I bought a pair of the CT and one of the rivets popped off within the first week. Though I purchased the jeans from a local shop, I contacted 3sixteen directly and they shipped a baggie of rivets to me for free via priority mail. I have read similar stories about their excellent level of customer service. The denim looked like nothing special at first to my eyes, but faded nicely. I consider them worth the money (though $350 landed to India is steep).

Regarding the rise, I wouldn't consider this model a high rise jean. I bought a tag size 32 and the rise was 11.5". This worked for the first 4 months until the first wash, but the jeans shrunk after a cold machine wash/hang dry and the rise now measures just over 11".

On 2/24/2018 at 12:27 AM, i_denim said:

I second the quality. 3sixteen is a really nice brand, but I'm not sure they're spectacular enough to justify $350. I'd say the best part about them is that they're reasonably priced (outside of India, apparently) and really solidly built, so jacking up the price definitely makes them less appealing, IMO. .

Yea I think 3sixteen is quality, up there with many of the japanese brands. I'm a bit of a snob, always go with the japanese brands, but 3sixteen is the one non japanese brand whose clothing I would have no problem buying.

I've got the shadow selvedge type 3 jacket and it is awesome.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:24 AM, tigerstrom said:

If the fit are modern or repro doesn't tell you anything about how good the jeans are... 3sixteen is great quality and nice jeans. I personally don't like the cuts but if the measurements is what you're looking for then you won't be disappointed. 

Just curious...what dont you like about the cuts...too low rise modern extreme?

19 hours ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

I bought a pair of the CT and one of the rivets popped off within the first week. Though I purchased the jeans from a local shop, I contacted 3sixteen directly and they shipped a baggie of rivets to me for free via priority mail. I have read similar stories about their excellent level of customer service. The denim looked like nothing special at first to my eyes, but faded nicely. I consider them worth the money (though $350 landed to India is steep).

Regarding the rise, I wouldn't consider this model a high rise jean. I bought a tag size 32 and the rise was 11.5". This worked for the first 4 months until the first wash, but the jeans shrunk after a cold machine wash/hang dry and the rise now measures just over 11".

Thanks for the info on the rise. Ive wanted to try a 3sixteen for a while but the low rises always turned me off. The CT started to look interesting b/c i have always admired the shadow selvage and i could possible do a 12" front rise with a  36 if it does not shrink considerably.   Anyone know if sixteen has any retailers in nyc who carry the CT.? SE does not. 

18 minutes ago, kbuzz said:

Just curious...what dont you like about the cuts...too low rise modern extreme?

I tried a couple of their cuts and I didn't like how they fit. The rise was pretty low and tight thighs if I remember correctly. The CT cut looks nice but I haven't tried it and I guess that I wouldn't manage the slim legopening. I'm more in to less modern brands of you know what I mean. 

But quality wise everything I've seen from them was great! 

Edited by tigerstrom

1 hour ago, kbuzz said:

Thanks for the info on the rise. Ive wanted to try a 3sixteen for a while but the low rises always turned me off. The CT started to look interesting b/c i have always admired the shadow selvage and i could possible do a 12" front rise with a  36 if it does not shrink considerably.   Anyone know if sixteen has any retailers in nyc who carry the CT.? SE does not. 

I washed mine in a top loading washing machine, so lots of agitation. A more delicate washing regiment would maintain the rise measurements I would suspect. I sized these completely wrong, too, going with a tag size 32 (33" measured waist) when my TTS is 35". They were my first pair of raw denim and the store clerk who helped me advised that the jeans would stretch considerably in the waist. It was a painful month, but they stretched from 33" to 35". After the machine wash shrinking fiasco, the waist, rise, and thigh measurements are too small. Totally my fault, though, and not a reflection on 3sixteen. I'd buy them again in the correct size if I wasn't spiraling down the Full Count/Warehouse/Samurai rabbit hole.

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped for  a pair of the CT-120x shadow.  Anyone have any thoughts, comments or suggestions re pre-soak.  Yes I know they are sanforized but wanted to see if anyone had any experiences one way or another vis a vis fading, shrinkage, color loss....etc

@kbuzz I don't have a pair, but in general you'll get rid of some of the starchiness if you soak them before you wear them, but they'll still be pretty stiff and full of indigo once they dry. They'll maybe shrink .5"  but will stretch back to where they were before.

As for fading, shouldn't effect it much. Maybe you'll get less contrast-y fades because you're losing some starch.

I wouldn't soak the shadow selvedge personally. Half its appeal to me is the high contrast and quick way the denim fades. 

Like @erockisalive says you will get half an inch stretch over time and then they will shrink back to normal after a wash. Soaking it won't affect the size that much.

But its totally up to you ;) 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I guess my size 30 olive chinos are oversized, and mistakenly bought size 30 in Indigo Moleskin chinos from the sample sale today, which are wayy to small. There weren't any changing rooms so I couldn't try them on (though people were sneaking into the bathroom to try on pants), but I'm not too upset.

I'm willing to sell mine at cost for anyone interested $110 + shipping: https://www.grailed.com/listings/5578952-3sixteen-Indigo-Moleskin-Chino

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2018 at 11:15 PM, tion4-> said:

Just ordered the black/black 3s jacket - curious what the colour transfer is like. Worried my shirts are all gonna get black shoulders/etc. Is it worth giving a wash/soak before wearing?

Cannot attest to the black/black fabric but the indigo/black that i have, had little to no colour transfer.