Top 5 Stock you'd buy

Guest umhaha84

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

safer than stocks? you sure about that?

if you've got 7 digits invested

you better as hell have 6 digits invested in someone whose legs you can break when it goes south.

Good one. what type of companies are into renewable energy

Look for First Solar Energy to go up.

But with gas prices dropping all these alternative energy companies are being ignored because the demand of alternative energy is less. So for a little while, these energy companies are going to stay low.

Individuals should stay away from single issues for the most part. Buy the Vanguard S&P 500 index. Ridiculously low expenses, and you won't have to go through the past 5 years of financials for hundreds of companies until you find something attractive.

Are you serious? Buying the S&P at this point is a disastrous idea. The trend is still solidly downward, and unless you'd like to throw away 5% weekly, you should shut up right about now.

More are jumping into gold.

Oh, and fuck you. I'm looking at my gold shares right now with a -30% change. Fuck this advice.

Are you serious? Buying the S&P at this point is a disastrous idea. The trend is still solidly downward, and unless you'd like to throw away 5% weekly, you should shut up right about now.

Oh, and fuck you. I'm looking at my gold shares right now with a -30% change. Fuck this advice.

I'm not sure why I should wait until the index starts to get more expensive to buy it. I'd rather buy it on the way down and be as invested as I can be on the best trading days than wait till the turnaround sucks all the easy upside out of it. Unless you have a failsafe system for getting in before the upswing, and if you do you should be busy making a billion dollars implementing it, it's better to buy things you will believe will recover while they're getting cheaper, not after they start to get more expensive.

Also, the major point I was trying to get across was that the average individual investor does not have the time or the inclination to research individual issues in such a way as to really be an informed purchaser. Individuals are almost always better off buying a broad index.

No need to be such a dick about it.

You're right about gold being useless, though. Gold is a goofy commodity to begin with, and it's still way to expensive.

I'm not sure why I should wait until the index starts to get more expensive to buy it. I'd rather buy it on the way down and be as invested as I can be on the best trading days than wait till the turnaround sucks all the easy upside out of it. Unless you have a failsafe system for getting in before the upswing, and if you do you should be busy making a billion dollars implementing it, it's better to buy things you will believe will recover while they're getting cheaper, (read: losing money) not after they start to get more expensive.

Also, the major point I was trying to get across was that the average individual investor does not have the time or the inclination to research individual issues in such a way as to really be an informed purchaser. Individuals are almost always better off buying a broad index.

No need to be such a dick about it.

You're right about gold being useless, though. Gold is a goofy commodity to begin with, and it's still way to expensive.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHHA

Real investors aren't lazy. You're just a moron.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

edit: anyways i'm a dick. to contribute-

the reason why that line of thinking is bad, is that at this point, nobody really knows where the economy is headed, but most people agree that we haven't hit anywhere near the bottom. We can point to any number of indicators, such as gas prices, food staple prices, raw material prices, etc. simply as supporting evidence. aka constant struggle 10char

Also, each investor should thoroughly research any stock they throw their money at. That's just baseline common sense.

To contribute: I agree with you that nobody knows where the market is going, however I'm less pessimistic about where we'll find the bottom. The bottom is really not the point, though. I think that the number of fairly priced good businesses is vastly increased at the present time, and for people who worry about pricing rather than market timing, I think it's a good opportunity. I think that ten years or so down the road even recovery from present levels should be good.

And you're the fool who's down 30% on gold. If you're talking about GLD or spot, you'd have had to buy near the all time high to get those kind of results. Obviously your ability to time the market is as limited as the rest of ours. It's exactly the kind of activity I'd have surmised you'd engage in based on your view that buying on the way down is throwing money away. Buying on the way UP is throwing money away. You're buying something you like, and you're paying more and more for it, rather than less and less for it. Your margin of safety is decreasing.

safer than stocks? you sure about that?
if you've got 7 digits invested

you better as hell have 6 digits invested in someone whose legs you can break when it goes south.

you neg rep me for that, then tell me its common sense? My father in law is an investment banker if you want him to break it down for you let me know.

To contribute: I agree with you that nobody knows where the market is going, however I'm less pessimistic about where we'll find the bottom. The bottom is really not the point, though. I think that the number of fairly priced good businesses is vastly increased at the present time, and for people who worry about pricing rather than market timing, I think it's a good opportunity. I think that ten years or so down the road even recovery from present levels should be good.

And you're the fool who's down 30% on gold. If you're talking about GLD or spot, you'd have had to buy near the all time high to get those kind of results. Obviously your ability to time the market is as limited as the rest of ours. It's exactly the kind of activity I'd have surmised you'd engage in based on your view that buying on the way down is throwing money away. Buying on the way UP is throwing money away. You're buying something you like, and you're paying more and more for it, rather than less and less for it. Your margin of safety is decreasing.

Except that it's impossible to know if a price is "on the way down" or up until the trends have been modeled after the fact.

But I understand what you're trying to say. Market expectations can help provide context for under/overvalued assets. Warren Buffet had an op-ed on the NYTimes not too long ago that explained his twin theories of buy-during-periods-of-fear and sell-during-periods-of-greed.

you neg rep me for that, then tell me its common sense? My father in law is an investment banker if you want him to break it down for you let me know.

HURRRRR OK

edit: actually okay why not, i can waste some time on the internet tonight.

edit schmedit: btw, dont take negs personally.

HURRRRR OK

edit: actually okay why not, i can waste some time on the internet tonight.

edit schmedit: btw, dont take negs personally.

I can get him to email you if you want, so pm me your email. oh, and I do take negs reps personally because they affect the way people perceive me in the sufu market and such. so I would rather not have ridiculous neg reps like the last 3 that put me in the red.

GM? GM is about to declare bankruptcy...I don't see quite how that's profitable. Apparently they're very low in liquid funds.

However, Toyota is an international conglomerate that's a Japanese zaibatsu with a very large, diversified commodity, there's no doubt in my mind they'll recover.

edit: jim_n...go back to hypebeast or something geez

^^

What competitors? You mean the two other giant US automakers that are also completely in the dumps and have to shut plants, cut employee benefits, and beg Washington for billions just to try and remain liquid for the next 6-12 months? Buffet might be in preferred stock with the sweet dividends but not when the stock is underwater 40% from the purchase price.

• 3 weeks later...